Year Abroad

Year Abroad

All undergraduate modern languages students spend a year abroad in Stage 3 (this usually equates to the third year of study on a four year programme). The Year Abroad is a unique and very valuable experience and one of the most attractive aspects of a degree in modern languages, for Student in Chinastudents and employers alike. The experience of living abroad will improve your language skills immeasurably. It will also do wonders for your personal and social confidence and give you a much broader outlook on the world.

The way in which you spend your year abroad is up to you. You can:

  • work as a British Council teaching assistant in a school (UK nationals only);
  • study at a partner university or;
  • undertake a work-based placement.

You can also divide your time between countries in which the languages you are studying are spoken, or spend the whole year in just one country. The one exception is for students wishing to take either Chinese or Japanese in their final year. The whole academic year abroad must be spent studying in either China or Japan.

You will be expected to carry out a risk assessment for each of your Year Abroad activities so that you are aware of the hazards, risks and precautions needed to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable that your placement is safe. You will be automatically covered by the University Travel Insurance for each of your Year Abroad activities.

In case of emergency abroad, you must call:

  • Newcastle University 24 hour Emergency Number: 00 44 (0)191 208 6666

As part of the University's travel insurance policy, you will also have access to 24hr emergency assistance services:

  • Chubb Assistance: 00 44 (0)207 895 3364

Download the Year Abroad information guide for students and their legal guardians.

Check out Flying Solo our Year Abroad multilingual magazine.