- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6850
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/nisr
- Address: Newcastle University
Room 3.16, 3rd floor
Newcastle upon Tyne
As Administrator for the Newcastle University Institute for Social Renewal, I am the coordinator for all aspects of communication and engagement, administration, and project management for the Institute. My role includes contributing to strategic planning and governance, preparation of the Institute budget, coordination of the support team’s activities and project management and dissemination of the activities of the Institute. I work closely with the Institute’s external stakeholders to develop productive knowledge exchange activities. A key aspect of my role is to identify, coordinate and facilitate opportunities for generating research in partnership with external organizations for mutual benefit and to make a positive change to society.
I was part of the successful bid development team for European Horizon 2020 project ACCOMPLISSH www.accomplissh.eu and I am presently working with partners from Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) and charity Children North East to deliver a joined up Newcastle work programme exploring how to accelerate impact from social science and humanities research through collaborative working (Quadruple Helix partnerships).
My previous roles have spanned community development and community led regeneration, library and information roles in 3 different library settings, research administration and research engagement and project management support roles in higher education.
I lead on the following Newcastle Institute for Social Renewal Themes:
Key areas of work include:
- Member of the Institute for Social Renewal Management Board and support for the Institute for Social Renewal External Advisory Board
- Represent the Institute and the University with external stakeholders, and act as key point for contact for enquiries from external organisations
- Responsible for the communications approach of the Institute including website, social media, Annual Review publication, and liaison with Press Office.
- Member of the Newcastle University Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences Impact Forum to champion the benefits of research with impact, develop approaches and share good practice
- Collation of resources on engaged research e.g. methodologies, workshops, peer reviewed publications
- Oversight and project management of key Institute for Social Renewal strategic projects
- Supervision of Institute annual budget, and funding call for academics with key focus on engaged research
- Participate in University committees related to high level external engagement activities e.g. Dr Martin Luther King legacy programme, British Science Festival
- Work with our external stakeholders to develop productive knowledge exchange activities
- Key enquiry and brokerage role for external enquiries.
I have worked in the University since 2008.
BA Geography Hons (2:1) (University of Sheffield)
Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Administrative and Management (Open University)
Leadership Foundation Aurora Programme for women leaders in higher education (2017)
NCCPE Engage Academy (2017-18) This professional development programme delivered by the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) has provided a fascinating opportunity to further develop my knowledge exchange skills and enhance my ability to provide strategic support to public engagement with research.
I job share this post with Nancy Rios. My working days are Wednesday afternoons, all day Thursdays and Fridays.
- Laing K, Bertosa M, Hriberski D, Hasenfuss J, Shucksmith M, Todd L, Tewdwr-Jones M, Sutrop M, Parder M, Lõuk K, Vabamäe E. Principles for promoting the impact of SSH research by co-creation: key issues in research design and communication. 2017.