Criteria For Exemptions
To be exempt you must be able to satisfy one of the criteria listed below
- You have attended and completed one of the INTO preparatory programmes, including Pre-Sessional English, English for University Study, International Foundation, International Diploma, or Graduate Diploma within the last 2 years
- You have attended INTO Newcastle University In-Sessional classes in 2014-15
- You have taken the UELA at any time since September 2013
- You have taken one of the following English tests in the last 24 months and have achieved a minimum score of:
- IELTS 7.0+ (min.7.0 in all 4 skills)
- Integrated Skills in English - Trinity College London ISE III or ISE IV
- Continuation of study on a Degree Programme at a Newcastle University campus overseas, such as NUMed or NUIS.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree (with a 2:1 or higher) or a post graduate degree completed within the last 12 months in one of the countries listed below.
Following investigations into fraud in a different English Language Test which is set and marked by the same organisation as TOEFL, a decision has been made to temporarily remove TOEFL from the exemption criteria for the UELA.
List of countries recognised by Newcastle University for exemption from the UELA
- Antigua and Barbuda
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States of America
- United Kingdom