Admission to the Exam
1. Consult their exam timetable and arrive at the correct venue at least 20 minutes before the published start time.
2. Bring their University Smartcard, passport or drivers licence to each exam. ID will be confirmed during the exam. If a veil is worn for religious reasons, the candidate will be taken to a discrete location near the exam room and will show their face to a single invigilator of the same sex.
3. Supply their own calculator, which is approved via the University’s calculator policy, unless the use of a calculator is specifically prohibited in the exam instructions.
4. Place any books, notes and blank paper which are brought into the exam in the designated area as instructed by invigilators. The University is not responsible for the security of mobile phones, or other valuable items, left in the designated area.
5. Ensure that mobile phones and mobile devices are fully switched off, including alarm functions, and place in the area designated for personal belongings. Smart watches must also be removed and placed in this area. The University is not responsible for the security of mobile phones, or other valuable items, left in the designated area.
6. Take to the exam desk pens, pencils and equipment necessary for completion of the exam only and place this equipment in a clear plastic bag or clear pencil case. In addition, candidates may take a drink and a small packet of sweets into the exam room. Labels must be removed from bottles.
7. Sit in the seat specified on the seating plan displayed at the venue.
8. Refrain from communicating with other candidates and follow all instructions given by invigilators.
Candidates must not
9. Impersonate another candidate, or allow themselves to be impersonated.
10. Enter the exam room more than 15 minutes after the exam has begun.
11. Open the exam question paper or write any notes/formulae on the exam stationery prior to the start of the exam.
During the Exam
12. Follow all instructions given by invigilators.
13. Remain seated at their exam desk until one hour of the exam has lapsed.
14. Do all rough work on the exam stationery provided.
Candidates must not
15. Communicate with anyone except the Invigilator.
16. Have in their possession any books, notes, learning material or equipment not specifically authorised in the exam instructions or have access to unauthorised material by any means.
17. Look at the work or copy from another candidate, or allow anyone to copy from them.
18. Pass off the work of another as their own. Although full referencing is not expected, acknowledgements should be included where appropriate.
19. Remove official Newcastle University exam answer books or supplementary paper from an exam room nor bring such material into the exam room.
20. Have in their possession any electronic device or equipment apart from a calculator approved via the University’s calculator policy.
21. Have in their possession any headphones, communication or recording device.
22. Leave the room during the last 30 minutes of any exam except in the case of illness.
23. Leave the room during exams of 60 minutes duration or less for any reason other than illness.
Completion and Submission of Exam Answer Books
24. Write answers legibly in blue or black ink only and refrain from using correction fluid, tape or pens to erase work. A line should be put through any work that is not intended for marking.
25. Complete the front cover of the exam book fully and correctly.
26. Ensure their answer book, and any other material to be submitted, is collected by invigilators.
At the end of the Exam
Candidates must not
27. Leave the exam room without the permission of the invigilator. Any student leaving the room unaccompanied while the exam is in progress will not be re-admitted.
28. Remain seated and refrain from communicating with each other until such time the invigilator instructs them to leave.
Approved by ULTSEC 10/03/2015