Changes in Circumstances for Postgraduate Research Students

By “changes of circumstances” we are referring to, for example, the need to interrupt your studies; to extend your thesis submission deadline; to transfer from one type of candidature to another; or to study away from the Newcastle campus.

All such requests can only be approved by the appropriate Dean of Postgraduate Studies. They cannot be approved by your School or Supervisory Team.

In considering any change to the pattern of your studies, you should always speak with your supervisor(s) in the first instance to seek their advice and guidance. You will need their support when you complete the relevant application form.

All requests must be made by application to the Research Student Support Team (RSST) for students in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and in the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering; or to the Medical Sciences Graduate School (MSGS) for students in the Faculty of Medical Sciences.

Applications can be posted, submitted in person, or a scanned copy can be emailed to the appropriate address.

All applications must be completed in full, be signed by you the student, your supervisor(s) and the Head of School/Institute or Nominee, and include the required supporting documentation, (which will be listed on each application’s guidance notes.)

Applications must be completed in full. Incomplete applications will not be referred to the Dean of Postgraduate Studies, which will significantly delay the process for you.

The RSST or MSGS will pass your application to the Dean of Postgraduate Studies for his consideration. We will then email you with the outcome confirming, for example, details of your revised candidature, revised thesis submission dates, etc. You should keep a copy of this correspondence as evidence of the approval and as confirmation of your thesis submission deadline.

All applications must be completed and submitted as soon as possible and well in advance of the effected period of study. For example, you should submit an “Outside Study” application well before you are due to travel. Retrospective requests are not normally approved.

You will be informed of the outcome by email so please check your University account regularly. Do not assume that your application has been approved until you hear from us.

How do I know which application form I should complete?

Click on the links below to find out more information about each type of application, and for a copy of the form. You are strongly advised to read the guidance provided before submitting your application.

Applying to interrupt your studies

Applying to transfer from one type of candidature to another

Applying to undertake study outside of the University

Applying to extend your thesis submission deadline

Student Withdrawal

If you wish to leave the University permanently, then you should complete the following documents and return along with your University Smartcard, to either the Research Student Support Team or the Medical Science Graduate School, depending upon your Faculty.

(These forms should not to be completed if you are transferring to a different degree programme within the University.)

On receipt of the completed document, the University will process the withdrawal by withdrawing you officially from your programme and informing the relevant services within the University through a withdrawal notification.