If Things Go Wrong (where to find help)

Staff and student in discussionSometimes things happen that are beyond our control – illness, personal problems etc. If things start to affect your course, you need to let someone know. There are processes and people to help you.

Use your personal tutor as the starting point – they will be able to advise you about the various University procedures. It can be confusing, as there are a few different procedures, but they depend on your particular circumstances, but most things can be dealt within your school.

Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC)

The most important thing you can do is to tell your school about the problems you are having.  To do this, complete a PEC form.  PEC stands for Personal and Extenuating Circumstances.  This one form will be a way of telling the School about the problems and requesting a number of different types of adjustment - such as extensions, exemptions, deferrals, board of examiner discretion.

Student Procedures


Assistance with submitting a PEC form (or other procedures) may be sought from the appropriate Officers of the Students’ Union, from the Student Advice Centre or from a Personal Tutor.

Staff in the School may be able to make a decision on your PEC application or they may be able to refer your case to others.

Change in your Circumstances

The following may be useful: