Conditions of your Tier 4 visa

Tier 4 students must comply fully with the terms of their student visa. This means that you must:

  • Register on your course as soon as possible;
  • Attend your course as required and make sure that any absences are authorised by your school;
  • Ensure that you do not work more than 20 hours per week during term time (10 hours per week for students studying below degree level) and that you do not engage in business or fill a permanent vacancy (see Can I work during my studies? below);
  • Ensure that you register with the Police if required to do so and that you keep your police registration updated by reporting any change of personal circumstance or visa renewal.

What happens if I breach the conditions of my visa?

It is now compulsory for Newcastle University to report to the Home Office on Tier 4 students who fail to register with the University, who do not attend regularly or who staff suspect of breaking the conditions of their student visa (e.g. by working more hours than they are allowed to). If this happens, your visa may be curtailed and/or you may be removed from the UK.

The above information is for guidance only and is not a substitute for reading the latest Tier 4 policy guidance thoroughly before making an application. You should also refer to the endorsement on your visa to determine what conditions apply to you. Please note that some conditions are also stated on the decision letter notifying you of the grant of your visa. Failure to do so could result in your Tier 4 application being rejected or refused.

If you have any queries regarding Tier 4 or any other immigration enquiries, please complete an enquiry form.

Switching Institution

If you want to study a course with a new Tier 4 sponsor and you made your last Tier 4 application on or after 5 October 2009, then you must apply for a new visa before starting that course. You may begin your studies before you receive the outcome of your visa application if your new institution has Tier 4 sponsor status; has assigned you a CAS for your new course; you have used that CAS to apply for a Tier 4 visa before your current leave expires. You will need to show evidence that you have made a new visa application (e.g. confirmation email from the Home Office, proof of postage) in order to register. However if you start your new course, you do so at your own risk as if your visa is refused you may not be able to return to your previous course. We would recommend that you seek advice from your new institution to confirm what evidence they need to allow you to register.

Can I work during my studies?

Please refer to the working conditions attached to your UK visa.


Return to the Visa Team homepage