What do I need to get a Tier 4 visa?

If your current visa was issued for you to study at a different institution, you will need to apply for a new visa to commence your course at Newcastle University. Please refer to information on switching institution to see how you may be affected by this regulation.

If you are a new student who is already in the UK with a UK visa which allows you to switch into a Tier 4 Student visa, you are strongly encouraged to attend a Visa Workshop as soon as you know you will be accepting the offer to study at Newcastle University or INTO Newcastle. At the moment we can only run workshops at our Newcastle Campus for Newcastle University and INTO students. We hope to extend this to our Newcastle University London campus soon.

Please note that the University will not allow you to register for your course if you do not have the correct visa to study at Newcastle University.

Immigration Health Surcharge for continuing students

The Home Office introduced an immigration health surcharge for all non EEA nationals who are applying to extend their period of leave. This charge was introduced on 6th April and is paid at the same time as your visa application fee.

The charge for students is £150 per year of leave but if your leave includes part of a year of less than 6 months you will pay £75. For example, if you are applying for an extension to complete your studies and require up to 6 months additional leave you will pay £75. If you are applying for additional leave of 6 months to 1 year, you will need to pay the full charge £150. This charge is also payable for each dependant on the application and is generally the same as the main applicant.

You will need to pay this surcharge at the same time you submit your visa application. Your application form will calculate how much you will need to pay and request payment after you've paid the visa application fee.

Please note that if you pay the charge and you finish your course before the end of your leave the charge will not be refunded. Refunds will only be given if your visa application is rejected or refused by the Home Office.

Once you have paid the surcharge you will be able to access the National Health Service (NHS) in the same way as a permanent UK resident. Payment may still be required for some services such as dental treatment and eye tests.

On 4th July 2015 the way applicants pay the IHS is changing. A new integrated system will come into effect, meaning the payment will become part of the application form rather than through a separate portal. This will affect you if you have not paid the surcharge and submitted your Tier 4 application by 06:59 (BST) on 4th July. If you have already paid the surcharge but not submitted your application by the deadline, your application will not recognise that you have made a payment and your application may be rejected. To avoid this, you should submit your visa application before the deadline above, or request a refund of your payment and start a new visa application to use the new integrated system after the deadline. If you have started a visa application but not made a payment you will either need to make the payment and submit the application before the deadline, or start a new visa application after the deadline. For further updates please go to the UKVI website.

Time limits

The Home Office impose strict time limits on the number of years a student can spend in the UK studying at degree level on a student visa. The University may not produce a CAS for any student who would exceed these time limits as the result of a further Tier 4 application.

5/6 years at degree level (with exceptions for Architecture, Medicine, Dentistry and Law*), or;

No limits on PhD, but students will not be granted further leave on Tier 4 if they have already exceeded 8 years on student leave on completion of a PhD.

*If the student is progressing to Common Professional Examination, the Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course or the Bar Professional Training Course.

Please ensure that you read full details in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

In order to get a Tier 4 visa, you will need:

Additional requirements

  • Before beginning the process, you should first read the Tier 4 Policy Guidance thoroughly.
  • Before a CAS can be produced, students need to show that they have appropriate English Language Skills.
  • Your CAS will show a list of qualifications used to assess your eligibility for your course. Original certificates/transcripts of these qualifications must be submitted with your Tier 4 application.
  • Students studying some science, engineering or medical programmes at postgraduate level may be subject to ATAS clearance. If your offer letter or CAS states that you require ATAS clearance, please make an application through the FCO website as soon as possible, as it can take up to 6 weeks for an ATAS certificate to be issued.
  • You will need to submit your current passport and any expired passports containing your UK entry clearance.
  • You will need to submit your biometric residence permit if you have one.
  • From 5th April 2013, all Tier 4 and PBS Dependant applications will have to be completed online. The old paper forms will no longer be accepted from that date. You are also strongly advised to attend a Visa Team Tier 4 Workshop before completing your application form.

Important things to remember

All documents must be original. Copies and scans of documents will not be accepted.

Any documents not in English, must be accompanied by a professional translation in accordance with the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

Any currency amounts stated on documents must be converted in the pounds sterling using the OANDA website. The converted amount must be written clearly on the document.

INTO Visa Workshop

Non-INTO visa workshops

Please note: the Visa Advisers cannot accept applications through the Student Batch Service for visas which have already expired.

For terms and conditions of use of the University’s Student Batch Service, please read the Agreement for student visa renewal (PDF: 27KB).


Return to the Visa Team homepage