Short-term study visa

Short-Term Study

You can apply for a Short Term Study Visa to do any of the following:

  • a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course
  • a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad

You can not:

  • study at a state school
  • work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
  • extend this visa
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you - they must apply separately as visitors
  • get public funds

How long I can stay in UK?

You can stay in the UK for:

  • 6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
  • 11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course

This type of visa cannot be extended and you cannot switch into any other immigration categories from inside the UK. If you are planning to study for longer than 6 months (or 11 months for English language students only) then you should apply for a Tier 4 visa instead.

In instances where the university is unable to offer Tier 4 sponsorship we may be able to support a Short-Term Study visa application. This normally applies if you need to re-sit your exams, write up your dissertation, return for your viva, or undertake a period of study of less than 6 months.

How do I apply?

Applying for entry clearance

In order to apply for entry clearance under the Short-Term Study route you need to use the online application on the Visa4UK website. You must make the following selections: Study > Study (non Points-Based System) > Study - Short-term student 6 months.

There are very few standard documentary support requirements for Short Term Study, and details of this can be found on the Home Office website.

It is important to bear in mind that when considering an application for entry clearance, an Entry Clearance Officer may be looking for further information on your immigration history, personal circumstances and evidence of the source of your funding for your time in the UK.

You may wish to consider submitting additional evidence to demonstrate:

  • The source of the funds in the bank statements you are providing (such as evidence of salary payments for whoever the bank statement belongs to);
  • Any evidence of travel from the UK, if you have recently left (such as flight ticket or boarding pass);
  • Additional evidence of about your studies in the UK to date, if you are returning to complete a programme or for module re-sits (this could include any evidence of fee payments for your programme, evidence of an examination timetable, reasons for any absences from your studies).
  • If you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months, you may require a Tuberculosis test.
  • A Short Term Study Visa Letter*
The examples above are not exhaustive. You should consider your individual circumstances and try to give as much detail and evidence of your need to come to the UK for your programme as possible. You may wish to use the ‘Additional Information’ box at the end of the Short Term Study application to give any further information that an Entry Clearance Officer might find applicable for your application.
Applying for a short term study visa on arrival in the UK

If you are from a country that does not require a visa to come to the UK for short term study then you can apply for leave to enter as a short term student upon arrival in the UK. There is no fee charged for this.

When you arrive in the UK, show the following documents to the Border Force Officer:

    • A Short Term Study Letter* that explains your reason for study at Newcastle
    • Any qualification certificates that your offer at Newcastle was based on (e.g. previous course)
    • Evidence of your finances.

Explain to the Border Force Officer that you want to be admitted as a short-term student and NOT as a standard visitor.

Make sure you show your Newcastle University Short Term Study Visa letter and ensure that the stamp you get in your passport indicates you are here as a short-term student.

Further information on the application, guidance and documents required can be found on the Home Office website.

*Current students will require a visa letter to support the Short Term Visa application. In order for us to provide you with a letter you must complete the Short-term Study visa letter request form. If you are a study abroad or exchange student, or occasional student, your visa letter will be issued by the relevant admissions team or by the International Office.

Return to the Visa Team homepage