The Writing Development Centre was created in 2007 to promote good writing practice across the disciplines and help undergraduate and postgraduate students to develop their academic writing skills in a supportive environment. Key priorities are to support students in the transition from secondary to higher education and from undergraduate to postgraduate study.
The Centre offers tuition, guidance and advice on all aspects of academic writing, including:
The Centre recognises that writing is a skill for life; therefore, help with other types of writing, such as employment-oriented and professional writing, is also available.
User comments on the Writing Development Centre
- The one-to-one service was good and helped me to understand what lecturers look for in an essay. (Undergraduate student)
- It’s difficult to see how those trying to get things published for the first time could not benefit from this service, and it is also excellent for improving writing generally. (PhD student)
- I was very impressed with the support I received. I was given useful tips, feedback and resources to access which I could refer to in the future.
- I have already recommended this service to others and would definitely use it again.
- Thank you to the Writing Development Centre and the University for significant language support.