Staff Training and Consultancy

Consultancy is an advice and sign posting service, operated by qualified SWS professionals, for those who are concerned about the mental health of a Newcastle University student.

Newcastle University Staff

In your professional role within the university, it is likely that you will feel some responsibility for the wellbeing of students. Understandably, it can be very daunting, and even disturbing, when faced with a student who is distressed or vulnerable.

If you are a member of Newcastle University staff and you are concerned about the mental health of a student, you can contact Student Wellbeing through consultancy and we will be able to advise and/or signpost as best we can. It may be that you feel you just need some professional reassurance about how to deal with a student that is worrying you.

As you will appreciate, for confidentiality reasons we are unable to tell you if a student has made contact with our service. While we also cannot contact a student following queries from third parties, we would advise you to encourage the student to contact our service themselves in order to make an appointment for an Initial Assessment. From here, we can ascertain what help and potential treatment the student may need.

Newcastle University Students

If you are a Newcastle University student and you are worried or have some concerns about your own mental health, you should make an appointment to have an Initial Assessment with us. Consultancy is not a telephone counselling service.

You may feel that your situation is urgent and cannot wait for an Initial Assessment appointment. In this instance you should contact your GP or attend the nearest hospital emergency department

Parents, Family & Friends

If you are a parent, family member or friend of a Newcastle University student whose mental health you are concerned about, you can contact Student Wellbeing who will be able to advise and/or signpost you in the right direction.

We are sometimes asked whether a son or daughter, or friend, has contacted our service. We understand your concern but hope you will understand that we cannot give this information to you without a student’s express permission. Nor can we make contact with a student following your concerns. Instead, we would recommend that you encourage them to contact us.

When a student wants to access support from Student Wellbeing, they can make an appointment for an Initial Assessment which is conducted by a member of our Therapy Team. This is the way students can access therapeutic help.


Student Wellbeing is not an emergency service. If you are seriously concerned for your own or another student’s immediate welfare, you should contact the appropriate emergency services.

A list of external support links and help lines can be found here

We welcome any requests to provide training or consultancy. Please contact us with any requests.