Health Costs

If you are aged 19 or over and receive National Health Service (NHS) treatment you will be asked to pay for prescriptions and some health care services unless you meet certain NHS exemption criteria.

Medical Costs

  • prescription charge is: £8.20
  • three monthly PPC is £29.10. This saves you money if you need 4 or more items in 3 months.
  • A 12 month certificate is £104.00 and saves money if you need 15 or more items are needed in 12 months.

Dental Costs

  • Band 1 £18.50 - This covers an examination, diagnosis (eg X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed, and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant.
  • Band 2 £50.50 - This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.
  • Band 3 £219 - This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.

If you require dental treatment you might be able to register with the University's Dental Hospital. If they are recruiting patients you could receive free dental treatment.

Help with health costs

As a student you may be eligible to apply for help with the following health care costs:

  • NHS prescriptions
  • NHS dental treatment
  • sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
  • travel to receive NHS treatment
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports

If you wish to apply for help with any of the above costs you will need to complete an HC1 Form. You will also be asked to supply information about your income and expenditure. HC1 forms can be obtained from the Student Advice Centre, doctors surgeries, local benefits offices and dentists or by calling the Health Costs helpline on 0845 610 1112.

Once you have submitted your HC1 form an assessment will be carried out and if you are eligible for a full exemption you will be sent an HC2 certificate. If you are eligible for a partial exemption you will be sent and HC3 certificate which will outline what you will be expected to pay towards your health care costs.

More information

Visit the NHS website.

International students can find out more about health matters from the International Student section of our website.