Register with a GP/Dental Practice in Newcastle


Students are required by the University Regulations to register with a medical practice. Before registering with any medical practice, students are advised to ensure that the practice will carry out home visits to their addresses.

Medical practices in close proximity to University Accommodation

To find your local medical or dental practice please use the NHS website. If you would like to find a medical practice close to the university please enter the post code NE1 7RU alternatively you may enter the post code of your accommodation. In addition, you may find that the GP student handbook beneficial (PDF: 6,679 KB).

Register with a GP

UK students

Full information on how to register with a GP is available from the NHS website.


some medical practices will ask for identity:

  • photo identity, such as passport or driving license
  • proof of your address
International students

The Medical Services for International Students document (PDF: 585KB) will help you with any information you require to register with a medical practice or dental practice. This document explains terminology and the wide variety of services available from the NHS.

Choosing the right health service

If you are injured or unwell it is important that you that you choose the right NHS service to support you.

Out of hours services

If you become ill or injured outside of normal medical practice hours, there are a number of different ways you can be treated. Please remember that Accident and Emergency should only be use if your illness/injury is life threatening.


It is advisable for students to register with a dental practice. There are many NHS dental practices in Newcastle, the names and addresses of which are available from the NHS website.

For dental emergencies, visit the Newcastle Dental Hospital on Richardson Road (behind the Royal Victoria Infirmary, which is adjacent to the University).