Other Sources of Help
The following sites contain extensive mental health information, some of which is specifically relevant for students.
Anxiety and panic attacks
- Bullybusters - helpline: 0800 169 6928 Monday - Friday 9am - 7pm
- Samaritans - national helpline: 08457 90 90 90. Local helpline: 0191 232 7272
- If you are worried about your emotional health and are having thoughts of self harm you should access help immediately.
If you feel your life is in imminent danger you should call 999 or go to Accident and Emergency at the nearest hospital.
Newcastle Accident and Emergency hospital is located at Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI), Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4LP.
- Smoking - free NHS smoking helpline: 0800 022 4 332, seven days a week, 7am - 11pm
- Frank - freephone: 0800 77 66 00, 24 hour service. Free confidential advice about drugs and alcohol
- Drugscope - national independent centre for information on drugs
- North East Council on Addictions (NECA) - local organisation offering free counselling, group work and complementary therapies
- GAMCARE - helpline: 0808 8020 133, 8am - midnight, seven days a week
Honour Based Violence
- Choice Helpline: 0800 5 999 365.
Advice and assistance to anyone who may be suffering from Honour Based Violence or has been or may be forced into marriage.
- MIND - information line: 0845 766 0163
- Rethink - advice line 0300 5000 927 Monday to Friday, 10am-2pm. National voluntary organisation that helps people with severe mental illnesses, their families and carers
- Saneline - helpline: 0845 767 8000 6 - 11pm every day of the year, for anyone coping with mental illness
- NHS Choices
- NAPAC - support line: 0800 085 3330. Support and information for people abused in childhood
- Rape Crisis
- Local Rape Crisis Centre - evening supportline 0800 035 2794 open every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening
6pm - 8:30 pm and Friday 11am to 2pm
- REACH - local office 0191 221 9222
- Survivors UK - helpline 0845 122 1201, 7 - 10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. Information for male survivors of sexual abuse
- Relate - a charity that aims at supporting to build stronger relationships and help individuals through difficult situations. Relate offer Relationship Support, Help With Sex, Family Support and Young People’s Support.
Relate Northumberland and Tyneside - 0191 232 9109 – Monday to Thursday 9am to 9pm and Friday 9am to 5pm.
- Friend - general helpline: 020 7837 3337. 7.30 - 10pm daily. Supporting the gay, lesbian,bi-sexual and transgendered community
- Local Lesbian Line: 0191 261 2277 Tuesday evenings 7 - 9pm
- MESMAC North East - Newcastle office:0191 233 1333. Support for gay and bi-sexual young men
- Stonewall - advocacy for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual rights and equal opportunity
- Beaumont Society - transgender support and information
- Samaritans - local helpline: 0191 232 7272. 24 hour listening service
- Papyrus - helpline, HOPELineUK 08000 68 41 41
Monday to Friday 10am - 5pm and 7 - 10 pm
Weekends 2 - 5pm. Advice and support for any person contemplating suicide or anyone in contact with a young person at risk of suicide
- CALM - support and advice for young men who are feeling depressed or suicidal
- Nightline - local helpline 8pm - 8am: 0191 2612905. Nightline is a listening, support and information service, run by students for students
- Befrienders - (Suicide, Students in Crisis)