Other Sources of Help
The following sites contain extensive mental health information, some of which is specifically relevant for students.
Anxiety and panic attacks
- Bullybusters - helpline: 0800 169 6928 Monday - Friday 9am - 7pm
- Samaritans - national helpline: 08457 90 90 90. Local helpline: 0191 232 7272
- NHS Direct - helpline: 0845 4647
Honour Based Violence
- Choice Helpline: 0800 5 999 365.
Advice and assistance to anyone who may be suffering from Honour Based Violence or has been or may be forced into marriage.
- MIND - information line: 0845 766 0163
- Rethink - advice line 0208 974 68 14 open 10am - 3pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 10am - 1pm Tuesday and Thursday. National voluntary organisation that helps people with severe mental illnesses, their families and carers
- Saneline - helpline: 0845 767 8000 6 - 11pm every day of the year, for anyone coping with mental illness
- Re-Quest - for young men in the North East affected by mental health problems.
- Mental Health Matters - helpline:0845 601 2457, 6pm - 6am. An out of hours, confidential, listening and support service for individuals experiencing mental health problems and their concerned relatives
- BBC Body & Mind
- NAPAC - support line: 0800 085 3330. Support and information for people abused in childhood
- Rape Crisis
- Local Rape Crisis Centre - evening supportline 0191 232 9858 open every Tuesday and Thursday evening
6 - 8:30 pm
- REACH - local office 0191 212 1551.
- Survivors UK - helpline 0845 122 1201, 7 - 10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. Information for male survivors of sexual abuse
- Relate 0191 232 9109. Relationship counselling, sex therapy
Self esteem/self confidence
- Friend - general helpline: 020 7837 3337. 7.30 - 10pm daily. Supporting the gay, lesbian,bi-sexual and transgendered community
- London Lesbian & Gay Switchboard (LLGS) - helpline: 020 7837 7324 10am - 11pm daily
- Local Lesbian Line: 0191 261 2277 Tuesday evenings 7 - 9pm
- MESMAC North East - Newcastle office:0191 233 1333. Support for gay and bi-sexual young men
- Stonewall - advocacy for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual rights and equal opportunity
- Beaumont Society - transgender support and information
- Samaritans - local helpline: 0191 232 7272. 24 hour listening service
- Papyrus - helpline, HOPELineUK 08000 68 41 41
Monday to Friday 10am - 5pm and 7 - 10 pm
Weekends 2 - 5pm. Advice and support for any person contemplating suicide or anyone in contact with a young person at risk of suicide
- CALM - support and advice for young men who are feeling depressed or suicidal
- Nightline - local helpline: 0191 261 2905. Nightline is a listening, support and information service, run by students for students
- Befrienders - (Suicide, Students in Crisis)