Other Sources of Help
The following sites contain extensive mental health information, some of which is specifically relevant for students.
- Leeds University
- Student Counselling
- Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Mind information line: 0845 766 0163 Local Mind Office: 0191 414 0325
- NHS Direct - helpline: 0845 4647
- Samaritans - helpline: 08457 90 90 90. Local helpline 0191 232 7272. E-mail support: email@example.com
- The Oxford University website contains a great deal of information about self help for mental health support, including external links for free, online self-help packages available from the Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI) in Western Australia.
- ‘Living Life to the Full’ - A free CBT based life skills course.
- On here you will find information and advice from Mood juice – an NHS online initiative based in Scotland – there is a wide range of self help information covering conditions such as depression, anxiety, stress, panic and sleep problems amongst other support.
- The MIND website offers some basic steps to wellbeing.
- SANE - This external site can provide emotional contact and support in difficult times including external links. Alongside this, there are also links for more information about many Mental Health diagnoses and difficulties.
- Oxford’s ‘Mind Your Head’ campaign seeks to raise awareness of student mental health and provides good links to external sites and advice. Also includes student blogs on Mental Health and current issues.
- Muslim Youth Helpline provides faith and culturally sensitive support services. This project also works to act as a bridge between mainstream services and young Muslims in the UK.
- Sudden trauma information service helpline.
Supporting friends and family
- Time to Change ‘Tips for Talking’ – advice on talking about Mental Health with friends and family
- Resources and advice from the Oxford Student Mental Health Network about supporting friends who may have Mental Health difficulties.
Anxiety and panic attacks
- Bullybusters - helpline: 0800 169 6928 Monday - Friday 9am - 7pm
- Samaritans - national helpline: 08457 90 90 90. Local helpline: 0191 232 7272
- NHS Direct - helpline: 0845 4647
- Smoking - free NHS smoking helpline: 0800 022 4 332, seven days a week, 7am - 11pm
- Frank - freephone: 0800 77 66 00, 24 hour service. Free confidential advice about drugs and alcohol
- Drugscope - national independent centre for information on drugs
- Know Cannabis
- North East Council on Addictions (NECA) - local organisation offering free counselling, group work and complementary therapies
- National Drugs Helpline - 0800 776 600 is a 24-hour, seven-days a week, free and confidential telephone service that offers advice and information for those who are concerned, or have questions, about drugs. The service is available to anyone.
Honour Based Violence
- Choice Helpline: 0800 5 999 365.
Advice and assistance to anyone who may be suffering from Honour Based Violence or has been or may be forced into marriage.
- MIND - information line: 0845 766 0163
- Rethink - advice line 0208 974 68 14 open 10am - 3pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 10am - 1pm Tuesday and Thursday. National voluntary organisation that helps people with severe mental illnesses, their families and carers
- Saneline - helpline: 0845 767 8000 6 - 11pm every day of the year, for anyone coping with mental illness
- Mental Health Matters - helpline:0845 601 2457, 6pm - 6am. An out of hours, confidential, listening and support service for individuals experiencing mental health problems and their concerned relatives
- BBC Body & Mind
- Mental Health Foundation - information help and advice
- Ahead for Health - is an online resource for university students experiencing mental health problems. It is user friendly and informative.
- Relate 0191 232 9109. Relationship counselling, sex therapy
Self esteem/self confidence
- NAPAC - support line: 0800 085 3330. Support and information for people abused in childhood
- Rape Crisis
- Local Rape Crisis Centre - helpline 0800 035 2794 open every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
- REACH - local office 0191 212 1551.
- Survivors UK - helpline 0845 122 1201, 7 - 10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. Information for male survivors of sexual abuse
- Friend - general helpline: 020 7837 3337. 7.30 - 10pm daily. Supporting the gay, lesbian,bi-sexual and transgendered community
- London Lesbian & Gay Switchboard (LLGS) - helpline: 020 7837 7324 10am - 11pm daily
- Local Lesbian Line: 0191 261 2277 Tuesday evenings 7 - 9pm
- MESMAC North East - Newcastle office:0191 233 1333. Support for gay and bi-sexual young men
- Stonewall - advocacy for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual rights and equal opportunity
- Beaumont Society - transgender support and information
- Samaritans - local helpline: 0191 232 7272. 24 hour listening service
- Papyrus - helpline, HOPELineUK 08000 68 41 41
Monday to Friday 10am - 5pm and 7 - 10 pm
Weekends 2 - 5pm. Advice and support for any person contemplating suicide or anyone in contact with a young person at risk of suicide
- CALM - support and advice for young men who are feeling depressed or suicidal
- Nightline - local helpline: 0191 261 2905. Nightline is a listening, support and information service, run by students for students