We’ve improved computing facilities and teaching areas:
- Feedback from students identified the need for more EXPRESS COMPUTER STATIONS to get quick access to e-mails and the web. During the summer of 2010, we have added 29 new stations in 7 building foyers - Bedson, Daysh, Percy, Cassie, Herschel, the Medical School and the Sports Centre.
- Some students were not aware of all the computing facilities and services: We are using different ways to get the word around - the smartcard wallets contain a map of all the cluster rooms, postcards give information on how you can seek help, and ISS is working with some Schools to include IT services as part of induction week activities.
- Two of the University's cluster rooms, one in the Herschel building and one in the Stevenson building were fully refurbished during summer 2010. We know that students need more computing space so the size of the Herschel cluster will be considerably enlarged during this coming academic year.
- Lecture Theatres 1 and 6 in the King George VI Building have been refurbished, as has the Law School lecture theatre and the RB Green lecture hall in the Dental School.
- All cluster rooms used for teaching now have projection facilities and dedicated teachings PCs; all have had software upgrades and rebuilds and are now running Office 2007.
- Even more improvements to teaching spaces and social spaces are planned.
- The University ran focus groups of Stage 2 students last February, to assess in more detail what your needs are. The Robinson Library is responding to your opinion as are individual Schools. The Library plans to extend its opening hours for academic year 2010-11, especially during exam periods.