Whether you are an English-speaker who wants to learn another language, or a non-native English speaker who wants to practice English, we have a range of opportunities to help you.
Learn a language
Students of any discipline have the opportunity to study a foreign language for free as part of our University-wide Language Programme. This allows you to enrol on modules in Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
You will also have free access to our award-winning Language Resource Centre. It is equipped with the latest technology to help you learn a language, either as part of your degree or for fun.
We can even match you with a native speaker in your chosen language to practise your conversational skills.
- self-study materials in over 150 languages
- a range of multimedia resources (including world TV and film)
- interactive language-learning software
- listen and record facilities for speaking practice
English language support
We offer a range of English language support to international students, including:
- free in-sessional English courses
- tandem learning, partnering you with an English-speaking student who wants to learn your language
- online materials to help you with writing, grammar and vocabulary
We provide a range of academic preparation and English language programmes for international students through INTO Newcastle University.
We also provide academic preparation and English language programmes for international students at Newcastle University London.