We will be offering up to 20 Promise Scholarships worth up to £9,000 per year to new UK and EU students of high ability from low income backgrounds.
We award the scholarships in 2 parts:
- 50% cash bursary
- 50% tuition fee discount
We will consider EU students for the tuition fee discount only.
Promise Scholarships are extra to any loans and grants that you receive. You do not have to repay Promise Scholarships.
You can apply for a Promise Scholarship if you:
- are a UK or EU student
- have a residual household income of £15,000 or less (as assessed by Student Finance England or an equivalent assessing body)
- are predicted to achieve (or have already achieved) at least grades AAB at A level, or equivalent
- are studying your first undergraduate degree
You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- live in an area which is among the 10% most deprived in the UK. Check your area with our postcode lookup system
- receive, or be eligible for, Free School Meals
- attend a school or college where the average attainment points score per student is below 550 (you can find school performance data on the Department for Education website)
- have lived in Local Authority care for at least 3 months in the 10 years before starting a course at Newcastle
Detailed information on eligibility criteria and payment dates is available from Student Wellbeing for UK students and EU students.
How to apply
Students must apply separately for a Promise Scholarship.
The application process for 2016 is now open. To apply you will need to submit a Stage 1 application form by 6 May 2016. If you are successful you will be invited to complete the second stage of the application: a personal statement from you, supported by a teacher/tutor reference.
If you receive a Promise Scholarship you will not be eligible to receive a Newcastle University Opportunity Scholarship or a Newcastle University Access Scholarship.
If you're studying for one of the following degrees you will not receive a scholarship for the years for which the NHS fund your tuition fees:
- 4 year Speech and Language Science degree
- 5 year Medicine or Dentistry degrees
If you're studying for one of the following degrees you are not eligible for a scholarship for any part of your course:
- 4 year accelerated Medicine course
- 27 month Dental Hygiene and Therapy diploma