We will be offering up to 20 Promise Scholarships worth up to £9,000 per year to new UK and EU students of high ability from low income backgrounds.
We award the scholarships in 2 parts:
- 50% cash bursary
- 50% tuition fee discount
We will consider EU students for the tuition fee discount only.
You do not have to repay Promise Scholarships.
You can apply for a Promise Scholarship if you:
- are a UK or EU student
- have a residual household income of £15,000 or less (as assessed by Student Finance England or an equivalent assessing body)
- are predicted to achieve (or have already achieved) at least grades AAB at A level, or equivalent
- are studying your first undergraduate degree
You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- live in an area which is among the 10% most deprived in the UK. Check your area with our postcode lookup system
- receive, or be eligible for, Free School Meals
- attend a school or college where the average attainment points score per student is below 550 (you can find school performance data on the Department for Education website)
- have lived in Local Authority care for at least 3 months in the 10 years before starting a course at Newcastle
Detailed information on eligibility criteria and payment dates is available from Student Wellbeing for UK students and EU students.
How to apply
Students must apply separately for a Promise Scholarship.
The application process for 2016 is now open. To apply you will need to submit a Stage 1 application form by 6 May 2016. If you are successful you will be invited to complete the second stage of the application: a personal statement from you, supported by a teacher/tutor reference.
If you receive a Promise Scholarship you will not be eligible to receive a Newcastle University Opportunity Scholarship or a Newcastle University Access Scholarship.
If you're studying for one of the following degrees you will not receive a scholarship for the years for which the NHS fund your tuition fees:
- 4 year Speech and Language Science degree
- 5 year Medicine or Dentistry degrees
If you're studying for one of the following degrees you are not eligible for a scholarship for any part of your course:
- 4 year accelerated Medicine course
- 27 month Dental Hygiene and Therapy diploma