Visa Requirements for Newcastle International Students

If you are a national of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland you do not require a visa or immigration permission to enter and remain in the UK while you are studying.

If you are a national of a non-European Economic Area (non-EEA) country you will need to apply for entry clearance permission. If you are studying in the UK for more than six months you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa.

For the latest advice, visit the UK Border Agency website.

Visa and immigration information is also available our International Office website.

Visa support

The University has three visa advisers who provide a wide range of help with immigration issues for non-EU students, including:

  • applying to renew your student visa
  • rules for working in the UK during and after your studies
  • inviting friends and family to visit while you are studying

The Visa team runs drop-in sessions for current students, as well as regular visa workshops. Find out more about our Visa team.