Newcastle University Students' Union (NUSU) is a gateway to a whole variety of different experiences to help you meet new people, discover new interests and develop valuable new skills. It represents the interests of the students and is a valuable source of student support.
NUSU can help you make the most of every opportunity. There are over 200 student societies and sports clubs covering different sports, subjects, cultural interests, politics and religion.
There are a number of student media opportunities to take part in including The Courier, our weekly student newspaper and winner of the Guardian Student Media Award's Student Publication of the Year' award in 2012 and 2013. You can also get involved with Newcastle Student Radio broadcasting 24 hours a day, and TCTV (The Courier Television).
Our community volunteering scheme, Student Communication Action (SCAN), offers over 200 different activities each year.
You can also try out our Give It a Go Scheme programme of one-off taster activities to help you make the most of your spare time. The Go Play programme gives you the chance to try a new sport under the guidance and support of coaches, with no experience or commitment necessary.
Multi-million pound refurbishment
Newcastle University Students' Union reopened in 2011 following an £8m refurbishment. The inside of the Grade II listed building has been transformed, with some outstanding new facilities in the heart of campus, including:
- 24-hour computer clusters and social learning areas
- a dedicated sports, societies and volunteering area
- revamped bar serving food and drinks
- café with facilities to work and relax
- huge gig and event space, hosting live gigs and regular Saturday club nights
- Subway sandwich shop, Starbucks coffee, banking services and ATMs
- a shop selling student essentials
You will also benefit from services such as a brand new Student Advice Centre, print design service and an IT repair centre.
Find out more
Take a virtual tour of the Students' Union building.
View our Alternative Prospectus 2015: e-book.
Freshers' Week at Newcastle is one the best in the country and is guaranteed to make you feel part of University life.
Over six days our army of student volunteers arrange loads of activities for you to get involved in. Everything from bowling, to visiting the coast and even a trip to the local IKEA!
It's all planned to help you settle in, make new friends and find your way around our fantastic city.
As the sun sets on the Tyne you can party the night away at the best pubs and clubs the Toon has to offer as well as our own stylish Students' Union. If you fancy something more chilled, a trip to the cinema, theatre or local comedy club always prove popular.
To find out more about this exciting start to Newcastle life visit the Students' Union website.
Student Representation & Support
NUSU is not just the social hub on campus, it also plays an important part in shaping your Newcastle experience.
It's run by six full-time student sabbatical officers, 18 part-time officers and an elected Union Council. Their job is to represent the interests of the entire student body and make sure your Newcastle experience is the best it can be.
NUSU also offers lots of opportunities for you to enhance your experience and develop skills beyond your course, with official recognition of your activities available through ncl+.
You'll have the opportunity to:
- become a course and accommodation representative
- join our events crew, with opportunities to plan events such as Freshers' Week or welfare and student issues campaigns
- try your hand at journalism, photography or broadcast journalism through the student newspaper, radio or television stations
- get elected as a part-time Union Officer
- run a student society or sport club
- join the Student Advice Centre's volunteer programme
NUSU is not just there for the good times, it's also a valuable source of student support with a: