PSY3006 : Consumer Psychology
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Amy Fielden
- Owning School: Psychology
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||20|
[a] to provide an in depth evaluation of applied psychology in the consumer context
[b] to provide the basis for further study and development of understanding of specific areas of applied consumer psychology.
[c] to develop analytical skills
Outline Of Syllabus
Introduction to consumer psychology and its methods of research
Understanding the consumer
Targeting individual consumers
Organisations and the consumer
21st Century consumers
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||12||2:00||24:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||40:00||40:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||55:00||55:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Skills practice||1||7:00||7:00||Particularly advertisement development and analysis|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Workshops||12||1:00||12:00||Student activity based on lecture material|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||62:00||62:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
The teaching methods encourage students to take an active role in their learning experience. Lectures are used to impart information and discuss relevant concepts. Workshops are used to help students to develop an understanding of how to apply the lecture material particularly in relation to topical issues. They will also develop the skills needed to develop and analyse adverts, skills which they will apply both as part of guided independent study and for coursework. There will also be an element of group work involved which will contribute to their assessed report, this will allow them to develop their collaborative working skills and encourage them to negotiate and build relationships with other. Students will be expected to complete guided independent study in order to help prepare for lectures, workshops and assessment and will be encouraged to further their own specific interests in consumer psychology
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written Examination||120||1||A||60||Unseen. Two essay questions.|
|Design/Creative proj||1||M||40||See comment under Assessment Rationale and Relationship for more info.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The essay examination is used to assess knowledge, independent learning and understanding of material; and the ability to integrate this material, to communicate it clearly, and to demonstrate critical thinking and an original approach.
The mid-course advertisement design/development is to assess the students' ability to apply the material learned on the course in a creative manner whilst also allowing students a greater scope of understanding in terms of advertising mediums. In addition it will help develop their collaboration and group working skills.
More information for Design/Creative proj 1:
Develop an advert or marketing strategy as a group and submit an individual rationale for that advert. The word limit for the rationale will be 1000 words. The product of the group work will constitute 20% of the overall assessment mark, all group members will be awarded the same mark. The individual rationale will constitute the remaining 80% of the mark and these will be assessed individually.
FMS Schools offering Semester One modules available as ‘Study Abroad’ will, where required, provide an alternative assessment time for examinations that take place after the Christmas vacation. Coursework with submissions dates after the Christmas vacation will either be submitted at an earlier date or at the same time remotely.
The form of assessment will not vary from the original.
- Reading List Website : rlo.ncl.ac.uk