The Evolution Festival is an ever expanding outdoor festival based down at the Quayside featuring headline artists such as Tinie Tempah, Plan B and Deadmau5.
There is also the Mouth of the Tyne Festival, a weekend of live music at Tynemouth Priory and Castle. The festival has recently included artists such as Paul Weller and Lawson.
In addition, the UK's biggest jazz festival, Gateshead International Jazz Festival, takes place in the spectacular surroundings of The Sage Gateshead.
Other music festivals in the city include:
- SummerTyne Americana festival - a celebration of American music at the Sage Gateshead Music Centre
- Mouth of the Tyne Festival - a weekend of live music at Tynemouth Priory and Castle, with recent artists including Paul Weller and Lawson
- Tyneside Irish Festival, showcasing Irish dance and music
- Newcastle Mela, a free two day family event filled with Asian music and cultural dance based in Exhibition Park
As well as music festivals, there are a variety of other events happening in the NewcastleGateshead area throughout the year including:
- the annual EAT! Festival which provides food adventures, and champions local producers, restaurants and culinary talent
- a winter festival that transforms the city with outdoor skating rinks, enchanted parks and fireworks on New Year’s Eve
- an annual comedy festival bringing a variety of acts to the city's many comedy venues
- the annual Northern Pride festival celebrates diversity and equality
In addition, Chinese New Year, the Newcastle Mela, and !VAMOS! are just three of the many festivals taking place that celebrate different cultures.