Top Places to Visit Outside Newcastle
Unspoilt countryside and coast
A major attraction of Newcastle is its closeness to some of the most beautiful, unspoilt countryside in the UK, providing plenty of opportunities for recreation and relaxation. Good transport links around the region means you can easily explore the countryside and coast.
- The nearby North Pennines and the Northumberland Coast are designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a haven for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers
- Northumberland National Park is nearby and includes Kielder Forest and Water Park, providing walks and sports
- A scenic Metro ride takes you to Tynemouth and South Shields, with miles of award-winning beaches with Blue Flag status, making them perfect for walking, cycling and surfing
A rich history
Newcastle and the surrounding area has a rich history and the city is peppered with reminders of its historically significant past.
- The Castle Keep, in the heart of the city, was built by Henry II and is a scheduled ancient monument
- The city walls are still visible in places and provide a glimpse into the city's past as well as housing beautiful Blackfriar's restaurant
- Hadrian's Wall, a World Heritage Site, crosses through Northumberland and even passes through the city in places
- Bamburgh Castle is just one of many castles in Northumberland, which boasts more castles than any other UK count
Find out more about our beautiful region at: