The North East offers a wide variety of housing, which is still amongst the most affordable in Britain.
Popular residential areas
- Jesmond and Gosforth
Stylish, leafy suburbs a short walk (20-30 mins) or Metro ride from the University campus.
Jesmond in particular is quite vibrant and has many shops, bars and restaurants in and around the main street, Osborne Road.
- Spital Tongues is the closest area to the University (less than 10 minutes walk) and renting here is cheaper than in Jesmond. It's possible to walk to the city centre in 15-20 minutes.
- Fenham is a reasonable area to live in the west end of Newcastle - there are frequent buses to city centre.
- The city centre is generally more expensive, but there is plenty to choose from in the Manors and Quayside areas.
- Tynemouth, Cullercoats and Whitley Bay
A variety of housing including fine houses overlooking the sea, a 20 to 30 minute Metro train journey away from the city centre.
- Tyne Valley villages
Picturesque villages provide a semi-rural alternative to city life, with a branch railway line making for easy commuting.
- Northumberland and County Durham
Rural tranquility to the north and south of Newcastle, yet still within easy commuting distance.
Average house price information on a particular area can be found at upmystreet.com
We have a limited amount of staff accommodation in University-owned properties, but may be able to offer a range of options depending on availability and length of stay.
The University offers discounted travel and cycle to work schemes.