Safety & Security

Safety and Security


We take your security very seriously. Here are some easy ways to help keep you and your friends safe.

What you can do

Windows and doors

Always close and lock your windows and doors when you leave your room, even for a few minutes. Windows are fitted with restrictors to prevent over-opening. These should not be removed.

Never wedge doors open.

Your keys

It is important that you keep your keys safe. You should never label your keys with your address; put your keys in a bag that contains anything with your address on; or give your keys to anyone else.

If you do lose your keys you need to let us know immediately. You can do this by:

  • Contacting your reception during opening hours or your hub reception outside of these hours. 
  • Contacting Security on 0191 208 6817 or via the Help Points located at each residence.

See our Key Policy for information on lost keys. 

Your possessions

Don’t leave your valuables where they can be seen from outside your room. You can immobilise your laptop, mobile phone and other personal possessions. Register free with Immobilise

Bike security

Follow this advice from Northumbria Police on bike security:

  • Secure your bike with a good quality lock
  • Learn how to use your lock correctly. Fill the inside of a D lock with as much of your bike as possible, include parts of the frame and wheels if you can - this prevents thieves from expanding it or trying to bend it open. Lock it around the frame above the pedals not on the cross tube - this makes it harder for thieves to use battery operated cutting tools.
  • Don’t leave a cable lock with spare cable allowing the bike to move around the secured post. Lock the bike as tight as possible.
  • Lock your bike up in a well-lit and busy area, to an immovable object like a lamp post or railings. If you leave it in a dark secluded back lane, the thief is then secluded and away from any witnesses.
Insurance information

See our Insurance information for details of the cover provided in the Personal Possessions Insurance arranged for full-time students as part of your accommodation contract. 

People you don't know

Don’t let anyone you don’t know into your residence. All University staff and contractors, working on our behalf, carry identification. Don’t be nervous about asking for identification from anyone asking for access to your room – a genuine caller will be happy to provide this.

Don’t let people with leaflets and flyers into your residence.

If you do see anyone acting suspiciously, contact the police, reception or Security.

Contacting security

Security regularly patrol University-owned residences. You can contact them 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 0191 208 6817. You can also use the Help Point at your residence to call them.

Safezone App

Safezone is a free app that connects you directly to University Security. If you raise an alarm or call for help, on-campus Security will be alerted so they can help you quickly and effectively.

Northumbria Police

We have a Northumbria Police Neighbourhood Beat Manager who works on campus and can be contacted via Security.

Temporarily Going Away

 For the health and safety of all residents, you must notify us if you are not going to be occupying your accommodation for a period of seven days or more at any point during your tenancy.



We are responsible for providing you with safe and secure accommodation. There are also some things you can do to keep you and your friends safe.

Repairs and maintenance

If you notice any defects within your accommodation or in the surrounding grounds, please let us know as soon as possible. We have a team of maintenance staff who will aim to fix any problem quickly. 

Accident prevention

Please don’t climb onto buildings, building roofs and if there are signs saying ‘Keep out’, do not enter. Students have been seriously injured falling off roofs or walls around our accommodation.

Ensure that there are no trailing cables on floors that may cause trip hazards.

Make sure you know what to do in the event of an accident or fire.

Safe environment

Electrical equipment

Any electrical devices you bring into your accommodation must conform to BSS and IEE regulations. See our Electric and Gas Safety page for details.

Rubbish disposal

Tidy up any food lying around in your kitchen and do not leave bins overflowing, as this can attract pests such as mice and cockroaches. Each accommodation site will have a bin store or refuse area for you to take your rubbish bags too.

Any areas of concern will be noted by staff and could lead to a specialist clean being carried out and the costs being charged to you.

Please see our Cleaning Service Level Standard Cleaning Standard (PDF: 225KB) 


Windows are fitted with restrictors to prevent over-opening. These must not be removed.

Dangerous items

Do not have anything in your room which could harm you or others. This includes:

  • fireworks
  • knives
  • airguns

Portable electric or gas heaters, cooking equipment, candles, oil lamps or anything else with a flame in your room are serious fire hazards and are not permitted. Please see our Fire Safety page for more details.

If you want to bring your own furniture or furnishings you will need to contact your Residences Manager to get permission. They will consider the fire regulations and health and safety guidelines before giving permission.

Residents with a disability

If you have a disability you should contact your Residence Manager at the beginning of term one. If you have a temporary mobility issue during your residency please contact your Residence Manager as soon as possible.

We’ll advise you of any special arrangements, such as personal evacuation plans, in case of fire or other emergencies.

Keeping safe

It is important that you keep yourself safe when you are on campus, out in Newcastle and heading to and from your accommodation.


Safezone is a free app that connects you directly to University Security. If you raise an alarm or call for help, on-campus Security will be alerted so they can help you quickly and effectively.

International students

The British Council has produced an International Student Safety Guide (PDF: 1.11MB) covering many areas of personal safety.

Health & Safety policies

You will find a copy of your accommodation’s Health & Safety policy at your reception.

Contacting us

You should contact your site reception if you have an accident or have any concerns about health and safety.

In emergencies you should contact Security on 0191 208 6817 who are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also use the Help Point at University owned residences to call them.




Fire Safety

We work hard to make sure our residents are safe against fire. There are lots of things you can do to help keep you and your friends safe.

Please don’t take any chances were fire is concerned. It is important that you know how to keep yourself safe and what to do if a fire should break out.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service have created a short video aimed at students on fire safety that we recommend that you watch.

Our responsibilities

All of our kitchens, passages and staircases have heat and smoke detectors. Study-bedrooms also have multi-sensor smoke and/or heat detection equipment installed.

Fire alarm testing

We carry out weekly fire alarm tests throughout the year. We will notify you of dates and times in advance.

We also do a full fire drill evacuation during term one. Residents who fail to evacuate will be subject to the University’s disciplinary procedures and may be fined.

Students with a disability or temporary mobility issue

We’ll advise you of any special arrangements, such as personal evacuation plans or specialist equipment. 

What you can do

Be prepared

As soon as you arrive you should read the ‘Fire Action’ notice displayed in your kitchen. Familiarise yourself with the locations of fire-fighting equipment, signed escape routes and fire exits.

Dangerous items

Due to the increased risk of fire, the following items are not allowed in your accommodation:

• candles
• flares
• fireworks
• joss sticks
• deep fat fryers and chip pans
• halogen lamps

You are not allowed to hang fabrics on walls, across ceilings or over electrical appliances.

Safety when cooking

You should never leave food cooking unattended in the oven, on the hob or grill.

Our fire alarms are very sensitive, so keep fire doors shut when cooking. Use the kitchen extractor unit (where applicable) to stop steam from your cooking activating the alarms.

If you want to use a barbecue, you will need to obtain permission from the Assistant Residences Manager or Team Leader. They will provide safety information and find you a suitable location. Permission will not be unreasonably withheld.


Steam from showers may also activate fire alarms, so always close the shower room door during and after use.

Fire-fighting equipment

You should always make sure that fire doors are closed – please do not prop them open.

A fire blanket is available in your kitchen.

It is extremely dangerous to interfere with fire-fighting equipment, fire detection systems, notices and information or fire break glasses. You must not cover any of the fire/smoke detectors. Please report any misuse of fire-fighting equipment to Security.

If you activate the fire alarms or the Fire and Rescue Service has to come to the residence because of your carelessness, negligence or irresponsible behaviour, you will be subject to the University’s disciplinary procedures and may be fined.

Remember, every time the Fire and Rescue Service are called because of carelessness, they are prevented from attending genuine emergencies.

If you have to use any fire-fighting equipment, you must report this immediately to Security so that we can get you a replacement.

Students with a disability or temporary mobility issue

If you have a disability you should contact your Residence Manager at the beginning of term one. If you have a temporary mobility issue during your residency please contact your Residence Manager as soon as possible. 

In case of a fire

In the event of a fire alarm sounding (a loud bell or wailing siren) you should evacuate the building. You should always assume it is for a real fire.

1. Leave the building immediately

Even if you think it is a false alarm, leave the building, closing all doors behind you and go to your designated assembly point. This will be marked on the fire action notice in your residence.

2. Call the fire brigade on 999 from a place of safety

Give the full address of where the fire is.

3. Contact Estate Security on 0191 208 6817

Let us know what's happening and that you've called the Fire and Rescue Service.

4. Do not re-enter the building

Do not go back into the building until you have been told it is safe to do so by the Fire and Rescue Service or a member of University staff.

Electric and Gas Safety

There are lots of ways you can help keep your accommodation safe while using electricity and gas.

Guide to appliances

If you need any help using the appliances in your University self-catered accommodation see our Guide to Appliances (PDF: 912KB) for information.


Mains electricity is extremely dangerous and can kill if misused.

Our responsibilities

Portable Appliance Testing

We carry out annual safety tests on all portable electrical appliances supplied by the University, such as lamps and microwaves.  This is known as Portable Appliance Testing (PAT).  Each item will be clearly marked with the date and whether it has passed or failed the test.  If an item has failed the test we will ask you not to use it and may remove it immediately.  Please see our Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) (PDF: 220KB) for further details. 

Removal of appliances

If we find any potentially dangerous equipment in your room or communal area, we will label it as unsafe and ask you to remove it.

If we consider the equipment to be extremely dangerous, we will remove it immediately for safe-keeping or disposal.  

What you can do

Don’t use any high power appliance (rated 1000 watts or more) or an appliance which could be a safety risk in your bedroom.  Make sure cables to personal electrical equipment are safe and are not a trip hazard or fire risk.

Safety standards

Your electrical equipment must conform to BSS and IEE regulations.  

International students

Please check that your travel adaptors are compliant with British Standard 1363.  This should be clearly displayed on the adaptor.


Our responsibilities

We check all gas appliances regularly.  Copies of Gas Safety Records are available from your Reception.  

What you can do

Safety advice

For advice on how to stay safe with gas, visit the Gas Safe Register website.

You can also download our information on the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide (PDF: 83KB)

Find out where your gas safety valve is located – you may need to find this quickly in an emergency.

If you smell gas

You must act quickly if you smell gas inside your accommodation – here’s what to do:

1. Turn the gas supply off at the safety valve
2. Open the doors and windows to let the gas escape
3. Don’t use naked flames
4. Don’t touch electrical switches - turning a light on or off can start a fire
5. Contact your Reception immediately. When Reception is closed contact Security on 0191 208 6817 or use the ‘Emergency Help Point’ located by Reception.