Accessible Accommodation

Accessible Accommodation

Our Rooms

The University offers a range of accommodation to meet varying individual requirements. Our accommodation is accessible to all, and we support students who have particular needs or disabilities.

Some of our accommodation has been specially adapted to include:

  • larger rooms for specialist equipment
  • mini-cool refrigerator to store medication
  • wheelchair access
  • personal care support provision
  • vibrating pillow
  • adjustable beds and study desks
  • braille kitchen equipment

Our accessible accommodation

Get in touch with us as early as possible and we'll help you find accommodation that best suits your requirements. You can even visit us to have a chat. Our Guide to Independent Living (PDF: 44KB) has more information on living away from home and daily living activities in our accommodation. The Student Wellbeing Service can help you make arrangements for your visit.

How to Apply

Apply through our online application process, but you'll need to make sure you give us certain details so that we can find the perfect room for you.

Details of your circumstances

If you need a particular type of room or location, you'll need to give us the details relating to your medical conditions, disability or other circumstances when applying. It's important that you give us as much detail as possible of your requirements so that we can meet your needs.

If you don't tell us your requirements, we won't be able to match you to a room that suits your needs.

Medical assessment form

You also have to send us a Medical Assessment Form(PDF: 100KB).

Your GP or medical practitioner has to fill this in to support your accommodation request. They'll have to give evidence of your need for a specific type of room or location.

Although we'll always do our best to put you in your preferred room or location, we can't guarantee that you'll get your first choice.

Accommodation for Carers

If you need a resident personal carer, the University may be able to provide a room on campus.

You'll need to make sure that the cost of the carer's room can be met. If you're a UK student, you might be able to reclaim the cost of your carer's accommodation from your home area Social Services Department. To reclaim the cost, you'll have to have a community assessment and your Care Plan has to show that you need a personal assistant/carer.

If you've got any questions or would like to arrange a visit to see our facilities get in touch with us.