The Society has a year round programme of activities. It holds evening lectures at the University from September to April, and events and visits to places of interest in the north east during the summer.
- Friday 8 September: 2.15-5.00pm, £15. Afternoon Tea at the County Hotel, Newcastle. Freda Thompson - "Swinging 60s".
- Thursday 5 October: 6.45 for 7.00pm, £8. Lecture/supper meeting. Herschel theatre 1 or 2. David Moffatt - "Without a Paddle".
- Wednesday 1 November: 6.45 for 7.00pm, £8. Lecture/supper meeting. Herschel theatre 1 or 2. Dr. Mary-Jane Tacchi - "Madness and Art".
- Sunday 10 December: £23. Christmas Luncheon at the County Hotel, Newcastle.
- Thursday 18 January: 6.45 for 7.00pm, £8. Lecture/supper meeting. Herschel theatre 1 or 2. Professor Terry Wright - "Fighting Franco".
- Tuesday 20 February: 6.45 for 7.00pm, £8. Lecture/supper meeting. Herschel theatre 1 or 2. Vice Chancellor Professor Chris Day.
- Thursday 12 April: 6.45 for 7.00pm, £8. Annual General Meeting with lecture and supper. Herschel theatre 1 or 2. Professor John Derry - "Queen Victoria".
- May: Music students' Recital. TBC.
- June and July: Summer Outings.
Evening lectures take place at 6:45pm for 7:00pm in one of the Herschel Building Lecture Theatres adjacent to the Curtis Auditorium. Free parking is available on campus for Blue Badge holders, the Haymarket Metro and Bus Stations are close by and there are several parking areas near to the campus which are free after 6.30pm. Most events cost £8 including a finger buffet. Notices for events are sent out to members a month beforehand.
Become a member!
Membership of the Society is open to all alumni of King's College or Newcastle University or matriculated students of Sunderland Technical College before 1963.
The Society also welcomes associate members. A small membership fee is charged.
Please contact email@example.com or phone+44 191 208 7250 if you are interested in becoming a member.
Underneath the Arches Archive
The Society used to produce a twice yearly newsletter, Underneath the Arches. Copies are available on request from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mr Bob Richardson (Treasurer) (BA Economics 1953)
- Dr. Ann Brown (Chair, Secretary) (MB BS 1959)
- Mrs Jean Wilson (Membership Secretary) (BA English Literature and Lingustics 1979, MA Early Medieval English and Anglo Saxon 1981)
- Dr Lorna Rozner (MB BS 1947, DPH Diploma in Public Health 1951)
- John Pearcy (BSc Mining Engineering 1962)
- Mrs Anne Brown (BSc Bacteriology & Botany 1962)
- Mr Donald Lloyd (BSc Mechanical Engineering 1961)
- Mr Eric Fisher (BSc Mechanical Engineering 1967, PhD 1975)
- Ms Sue Bevan (BSc Zoology 1979, MSc Public Health Engineering 1981)
- Professor Robert Wilkinson (BSc (Hons) Physiology 1960, MB BS 1963, MD 1978)