Professor Chris Seal
Prof of Food & Human Nutrition
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7650
- Address: Human Nutrition Research Centre
Institute of Cellular Medicine
M2.054 Leech Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Chair of Joint Board of Studies, Food & Human Nutrition and Sport & Exercise Science BSc
1983 - Present, Newcastle University
1983 – 1986 Demonstrator, Department of Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition.
1986 – 1992 Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1993 – 1994 Senior Research Associate, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1994 – 1998 Lecturer (Grade B), Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences.
1998 – 2005 Lecturer (Grade B) in Food Studies, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences; then School of Agriculture, Food & Rural Development (AFRD).
2005 – 2008 Senior Lecturer in Food Studies, AFRD.
2008 – 2017 Professor of Food & Human Nutrition, AFRD.
2017 - Present Professor of Food & Human Nutrition, Institute of Cellular Medicine (ICM)
Institute of Food Science and Technology
American Association of Cereal Chemists
Citations to my papers in Google Scholar can be found through this Link Here
Citations to my papers in Scopus can be found through this Link Here [Scopus id 7003779645]
Effect of diet on health and disease, with a particular focus on the role of wholegrain foods, fruits and vegetables in cardiovascular disease prevention.
Impact of production systems (organic v Conventional) of food quality and health.
Understanding consumer behaviours in the context of food choice and adoption of healthy, sustainable diets.
Determining whole grain consumption in the UK population.
Behavioural studies have also been completed on the acceptability of whole grains and barriers to their consumption.
Nutrient content of organic and conventional foodstuffs, and the effect of organic farming practices on food product composition and quality; impact of organic diets on health.
Previous research includes large-scale dietary interventions funded by the Food Standards Agency (a) to investigate effects of increased consumption of wholegrain foods on cardiovascular risk [joint project with the MRC-Human Nutrition Research Group, Cambridge], (b) to assess the usefulness of alkylresorcinols and mammalian lignans and metabolomics as potential biomarkers of whole grain-intake and (c) to investigate the effect of increasing consumption of green leafy vegetables and beetroot on cardiovascular risk factors.
In addition to leading a number of research projects, and supervising postgraduate students, I have been a member of the steering committees of another projects in collaboration with members of the Human Nutrition Research Centre.
· Currently supervisor/joint supervisor of 8 postgraduate PhD/MD research students [plus 4 under examination]
Supervisor/joint supervisor of 29 successful postgraduate research students (27 PhD, 2 MD); all submitted in less than 4 years (3 years for MD). The following completed in the past 5 years:
· Liangkui Li (2018) ‘Nutritional properties of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) and its effects on cardiometabolic risk and gut microbiota‘. Chinese Government Scholarship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Prof Georg Lietz.
· Nuno Mendonça (2018) Dietary intake, B vitamins and health outcomes in the very old: Analysis of the Newcastle 85 Study. Newcastle University SAgE Faculty Studentship (Swales Scholarship). Joint supervisor (33%) with Dr Tom Hill and Prof Carol Jagger [Institute of Health and Society].
· Kay Mann (2017) Whole grain intake, diet quality and cardio-metabolic health in two UK cohorts. Staff Self-Funded and Cereal Partners Worldwide Sponsorship. Joint supervisor (50%) with Prof Mark Pearce [Institute of Health and Society].
· Othman Qadir (2017) Growth of lettuce with different content of inorganic nitrate as a feeding strategy for placebo-controlled nutritional interventions to test the effects of inorganic nitrate on human health. Joint supervisor (10%) with Dr Kirsten Brandt and Dr Mario Siervo.
· Karin Tan (2017) ‘Health Claims on food products in South East Asia: a comparative study of the regulatory framework and consumer understanding’ Singapore Economic Development Board/Danone studentship. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Dr Iain Brownlee [NUIS].
· Hasan Iessa (2016) ‘Concentrating Food Materials Using Electrokinetically Enhanced Filtration (EKEF): Impact on Filtration Efficiency, Quality Compounds and Power Consumption.’ Syrian Government Scholarship. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Mr Karl Christensen and Dr Jean Hall [School of Chemical Engineering and Geosciences].
· Rosie Dew (2015) ‘Improvement of fruit product quality and shelf life by changing temperature conditions during transport and storage.’ ASDA funded. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Dr Kirsten Brandt.
· Diky Ramdani (2014) ‘Evaluation of tea and spent tea leaves as additives for their use in ruminant diets Malaysian Government Scholarship. Joint Supervisor (10%) with Dr Abdul Chaudhry.
· David Houghton (2014) ‘Modulation of fat digestion using bioactive alginates’. BBSRC studentship. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Prof Jeff Pearson [Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences].
· Noha Almoraie (2014) ‘Dietary patterns in Saudi Arabian adults residing in different locations in Saudi Arabia and in the UK in relation to heart disease risk’. Saudi Government Scholarship. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Dr Georg Lietz.
· Peter Chater (2014) ‘Bioactive alginates and macronutrient digestion’. BBSRC studentship. Joint Supervisor (30%) with Prof Jeff Pearson [Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences].
· Hsu Ching-Yu (2013) 'Evaluation of antioxidant properties of some commercially available culinary and medicinal mushrooms from Taiwan'. Taiwan Government Scholarship. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Dr Ed Okello.
· Helen Kendall (2013) ‘Food provisioning and the domestic food handling practices of the over 60s in the North East of England’. Food Standards Agency Studentship. Joint Supervisor (27%) with Dr Mary Brennan and Dr Sharron Kuznesof.
· Salah Ali Al-Hebeil (2013) ‘Quantification of bread crust crispness including the effects of selected additives’. Libyan Government Scholarship. Joint Supervisor (50%) with Dr Kirsten Brandt.
Learned Society and professional bodies
- Honorary Treasurer, The Nutrition Society, 2016 – present
- Honorary Scientific Development Officer, The Nutrition Society, 2006 – 2012
- Honorary Programmes Secretary, The Nutrition Society, 1998 – 2004
- Member of Council of the Nutrition Society, 1994 – 2004; 2006 - 2012
Other ‘Esteem Indicators’
- Member of organising committee of the Whole Grain Global Summit, 13-17th November 2017.
- Organiser of Rank Prize Funds Mini Symposium on Wheat in Diet and Health, April 2017.
- Member of MRC Confidence in Global Nutrition and Health Panel 2017.
- Member of MRC Global Health Foundation Call Expert Panel 2016.
- Chair of RCUK-CONACYT (Mexico) Newton Fund Assessment Panel May 2016.
- Invited expert member of Barilla Centre for Nutrition Stakeholder Forum “A tour around the Mediterranean Diet: the carbohydrates”, September 2016.
- Member of BBSRC Panel of Experts 2015 – Present.
- Member of Healthgrain Forum (Network developed from Healthgrain EU FP6 Integrated Project); Board Member since March 2018.
- Supplements Editor, British Journal of Nutrition 2004 – 2011.
- External Assessor, South African National Research Foundation, 2001 – Present.
- Referee of grant applications to the BBSRC, MRC, European Research Advisory Board, The Wellcome Trust, Diabetes UK.
- Previously member of Food Standards Agency Assessment panels for research calls in cardiovascular health and micronutrient status.
- Regular reviewer of articles for many international Journals.
International presentations and activities (last 5 years)
- Plenary Speaker Whole Grain Global Summit, Vienna, November 2017.
- Invited Speaker British Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, March 2017.
- Invited Speaker, Food Matters Live (industry sponsored event), November 2016.
- Invited speaker, Vitafoods Europe, Geneva, May 2016.
- Invited speaker, British Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, March 2016 [Cereal Partners UK Sponsored Symposium].
- Invited speaker, British Dietetic Association Research Meeting, November 2015 [Cereal Partners UK Sponsored Symposium].
- Invited speaker, Nutrition Society Summer Meeting, Glasgow, July 2014.
- Invited speaker, Heart UK Annual Conference, Warwick, July 2014.
- Invited speaker, Healthgrain Symposium, IUNS Congress, Granada, September 2013.
- Invited speaker, Nutrition Society, Belgian Nutrition Society, French Nutrition Society Joint Meeting, Lille, 2013 [Cereal Partners Worldwide Sponsored Symposium].
- Invited speaker, Royal Society of Medicine, London, March 2013.
- Round Table participant, Whole Grain Definitions, Cereal Partners Worldwide, Chicago, December 2012.
- Invited speaker, Heart UK Annual Conference, Newcastle upon Tyne, July 2012.
- Opening Plenary Lecture, Nordic Nutrition Conference, Gothenburg, May 2012.
- Organising Committee, Invited speaker and Workshop Panel member, Whole Grain Global Summit, Minneapolis, May 2012.
- Invited speaker, Royal Society of Medicine, London, March 2012.
- Invited speaker, Nutraformulate Meeting, Birmingham, March 2012.
NUT3006 Food & Human Nutrition Honours Projects (ML)
NUT3106 Food Marketing & Nutrition Honours Projects (ML)
NUT3007 Sports and Exercise Nutrition (ML)
NUT2001 Principles of Nutrition
NUT2003 Food Science and Technology
ACE1041 Investigating Agri-Food Systems from Farm to Folk
ACE3040 Animal Product Quality and Marketing
- LI L, Lietz G, Seal C. Buckwheat and CVD Risk Markers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients 2018, 10(5), 619.
- Iessa H, Christensen K, Hall JA, Seal CJ. Discharged filtrate movement in food materials under application of electrokinetics. Food Chemistry 2018, 247, 1-7.
- Li L, Lietz G, Bal W, Watson A, Morfey B, Seal C. Effects of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) Consumption on markers of CVD risk. Nutrients 2018, 10(6), 777.
- Mendonça N, Jagger C, Granic A, Martin-Ruiz C, Mathers JC, Seal CJ, Hill TR. Elevated total homocysteine in all participants and plasma vitamin B12 concentrations in women are associated with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in the very old: The Newcastle 85+ Study. Journals of Gerontology. Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Verlaan S, Maier AB, Bauer JM, Bautmans I, Brandt K, Donini LM, Maggio M, McMurdo MET, Mets T, Seal CJ, Wijers SLJ, Sieber C, Boirie Y, Cederholm T. Sufficient levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and protein intake required to increase muscle mass in sarcopenic older adults - The PROVIDE study. Clinical Nutrition 2018, 37(2), 551-557.
- Mendonca N, Granic A, Mathers JC, Martin-Ruiz C, Wesnes KA, Seal CJ, Jagger C, Hill TR. Homocysteine, Tryptophan, and Cognition in the Very Old. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2017, 18(10), 895-896.
- Qadir O, Siervo M, Seal CJ, Brandt K. Manipulation of contents of nitrate, phenolic acids, chlorophylls and carotenoids in lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) via contrasting responses to nitrogen fertilizer when grown in a controlled environment. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2017, 65(46), 10003-10010.
- Mendonca N, Granic A, Mathers JC, Martin-Ruiz C, Wesnes KA, Seal CJ, Jagger C, Hill TR. One-Carbon Metabolism Biomarkers and Cognitive Decline in the Very Old: The Newcastle 85+ Study. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Ross AB, van der Kamp J-W, King R, Le K-A, Mejborn H, Seal CJ, Thielecke F, on behalf of the Healthgrain Forum. Perspective: A definition for whole-grain food products - Recommendations from the Healthgrain Forum. Advances in Nutrition 2017, 8(4), 525-531.
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, Seal CJ. Providing evidence to support the development of whole grain dietary recommendations in the United Kingdom. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2017, 76(3), 369-377.
- Jones AR, Mann KD, Kuznesof SA, Richardson DP, Seal CJ. The whole grain content of foods consumed in the UK. Food Chemistry 2017, 214, 453-459.
- Kendall H, Brennan M, Seal C, Lahda C, Kuznesof S. Behind the Kitchen Door: A novel mixed method approach for exploring the food provisioning practices of the older consumer. Food Quality and Preference 2016, 53, 105-116.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal CJ, Sanderson R, Benbrook C, Steinshamn H, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Eyre M, Cozzi G, Larsen MK, Jordon T, Niggli U, Sakowski T, Calder PC, Burdge GC, Sotiraki S, Stefanakis A, Yolcu H, Stergiadis S, Chatzidimitriou E, Butler G, Stewart G, Leifert C. Composition differences between organic and conventional meat: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(6), 994-1011.
- Lake AA, Smith SA, Bryant CE, Alinia S, Brandt K, Seal CJ, Tetens I. Exploring the dynamics of a free fruit at work intervention. BMC Public Health 2016, 16, 839.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal CJ, Sanderson R, Benbrook C, Steinshamn H, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Eyre M, Cozzi G, Larsen MK, Jordon T, Niggli U, Sakowski T, Calder PC, Burdge GC, Sotiraki S, Stefanakis A, Stergiadis S, Yolcu H, Chatzidimitriou E, Butler G, Stewart G, Leifert C. Higher PUFA and n-3 PUFA, conjugated linoleic acid, α-tocopherol and iron, but lower iodine and selenium concentrations in organic milk: a systematic literature review and meta- and redundancy analyses. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(6), 1043-1060.
- Chater PI, Wilcox M, Cherry P, Herford A, Mustar S, Wheater H, Brownlee I, Seal C, Pearson J. Inhibitory activity of extracts of Hebridean brown seaweeds on lipase activity. Journal of Applied Phycology 2016, 28(2), 1303-1313.
- Mendonça NMP, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ, Martin-Ruiz C, Seal CJ, Jagger C, Hill TR. Intakes of Folate and Vitamin B12 and Biomarkers of Status in the Very Old: The Newcastle 85+ Study. Nutrients 2016, 8(10), 604.
- Mendonça N, Hill TR, Granic A, Davies K, Collerton J, Mathers JC, Siervo M, Wrieden WL, Seal C, Jagger C, Adamson AJ. Macronutrient intake and food sources in the very old: analysis of the Newcastle 85+ Study. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(12), 2170-2180.
- Tan KYM, van der Beek EM, Kuznesof SA, Seal CJ. Perception and understanding of health claims on milk powder for children: A focus group study among mothers in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand. Appetite 2016, 105, 747-757.
- Hill TR, Mendonca N, Granic A, Siervo M, Jagger C, Seal CJ, Kerse N, Wham C, Adamson AJ, Mathers JC. What do we know about the nutritional status of the very old? Insights from three cohorts of advanced age from the UK and New Zealand. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2016, 75(3), 420-430.
- Seal CJ, Nugent AP, E-Siong T, Thielecke F. Whole-grain dietary recommendations: the need for a unified global approach. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(11), 2031-2038.
- Neo JE, Salleh S, Toh YX, How KYL, Tee M, Mann K, Hopkins S, Thielecke F, Seal CJ, Brownlee IA. Whole-grain food consumption in Singaporean Children aged 6-12 years. Journal of Nutritional Science 2016, 5, e33.
- Stergiadis S, Leifert C, Seal CJ, Eyre MD, Larsen MK, Nielsen JH, Slots T, Butler G. A 2-Year study on milk quality of three pasture-based dairy systems of contrasting production intensities in Wales. Journal of Agricultural Science 2015, 153(4), 708-731.
- Houghton D, Wilcox MD, Chater PI, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Biological activity of alginate and its effect on pancreatic lipase inhibition as a potential treatment for obesity. Food Hydrocolloids 2015, 49, 18-24.
- Bauer JM, Verlaan S, Bautmans I, Brandt K, Donini LM, Maggio M, McMurdo MET, Mets T, Seal C, Wijers SL, Ceda GP, DeVito G, Donders G, Drey M, Greig C, Holmbäck U, Narici M, McPhee J, Poggiogalle E, Power D, Scafoglieri A, Schultz R, Sieber CC, Cederholm T. Effects of a Vitamin D and Leucine-Enriched Whey Protein Nutritional Supplement on Measures of Sarcopenia in Older Adults, the PROVIDE Study: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2015, 16(9), 740-747.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal C, Sanderson R, Stewart G, Benbrook C, Rembialkovska E, Niggli U, Volakakis N, Leifert C. Higher antioxidant and lower cadmium concentrations and lower incidence of pesticide residues in organically grown crops: a systematic literature review and meta-analyses. In: 12th European Nutrition Conference (FENS). 2015, Berlin, Germany: Karger.
- Okello EJ, Coleman A, Seal CJ. In-vitro anti-cholinesterase activities by piperine, an alkaloid from the spice family Piperaceae. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2015, 6(9), 3726-3732.
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, McKevith B, Thielecke F, Seal CJ. Low whole grain intake in the UK: results from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey rolling programme 2008–11. British Journal of Nutrition 2015, 113(10), 1643-1651.
- Verlaan S, Aspray T, Bauer JM, Cederholm T, Hemsworth J, Hill TR, McPhee JS, Piasecki M, Seal CJ, Sieber CC, terBorg S, Wijers SL, Brandt K. Nutritional status, body composition, and quality of life in community-dwelling sarcopenic and non-sarcopenic older adults: A case-control study. Clinical Nutrition 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Ross AB, Kristensen M, Seal CJ, Jacques P, McKeown NM. Recommendations for reporting whole-grain intake in observational and intervention studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2015, 101(5), 903-907.
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, McKevith B, Thielecke F, Seal CJ. Whole grain intake and its association with intakes of other foods, nutrients and markers of health in the National Diet and Nutrition Survey rolling programme 2008–11. British Journal of Nutrition 2015, 113(10), 1595-1602.
- Seal CJ, Brownlee IA. Whole-grain foods and chronic disease: evidence from epidemiological and intervention studies. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2015, 74(3), 313-319.
- Ferruzzi MG, Jonnalagadda SS, Liu S, Marquart L, McKeown N, Reicks M, Riccardi G, Seal C, Slavin J, Thielecke F, vanderKamp JW, Webb D. Developing a Standard Definition of Whole-Grain Foods for Dietary Recommendations: Summary Report of a Multidisciplinary Expert Roundtable Discussion. Advances in Nutrition 2014, 5(2), 164-176.
- Piccioli-Cappelli F, Loor JJ, Seal CJ, Minuti A, Trevisi E. Effect of dietary starch level and high rumen-undegradable protein on endocrine-metabolic status, milk yield, and milk composition in dairy cows during early and late lactation. Journal of Dairy Science 2014, 97(12), 7788-7803.
- Zare Javid A, Seal CJ, Heasman P, Moynihan PJ. Impact of a customised dietary intervention on antioxidant status, dietary intakes and periodontal indices in patients with adult periodontitis. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2014, 27(6), 523-532.
- Stergiadis S, Leifert C, Seal CJ, Eyre MD, Steinshamn H, Butler G. Improving the fatty acid profile of winter milk from housed cows with contrasting feeding regimes by oilseed supplementation. Food Chemistry 2014, 164, 293-300.
- Houghton D, Wilcox MD, Brownlee IA, Chater P, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Method for quantifying alginate and determining release from a food vehicle in gastrointestinal digesta. Food Chemistry 2014, 151, 352-357.
- van der Kamp JW, Poutanen K, Seal CJ, Richardson DP. The HEALTHGRAIN definition of 'whole grain'. Food & Nutrition Research 2014, 58, 1-8.
- Ramdani D, Chaudhry AS, Seal CJ. Chemical Composition, Plant Secondary Metabolites, and Minerals of Green and Black Teas and the Effect of Different Tea-to-Water Ratios during Their Extraction on the Composition of Their Spent Leaves as Potential Additives for Ruminants. Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61(20), 4961-4967.
- Lloyd AJ, Beckmann M, Haldar S, Seal C, Brandt K, Draper J. Data-driven strategy for the discovery of potential urinary biomarkers of habitual dietary exposure. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013, 97(2), 377-389.
- Kendall H, Kuznesof S, Seal C, Dobson S, Brennan M. Domestic food safety and the older consumer: A segmentation analysis. Food Quality and Preference 2013, 28(1), 396-406.
- Thielecke F, Nugent A, Siong TE, Seal CJ. Global Dietary Whole Grain Recommendations: A Harmonised or Multifarious Message?. In: 20th International Congress of Nutrition. 2013, Granada, Spain: S. Karger AG.
- Beckmann M, Lloyd AJ, Haldar S, Seal CJ, Brandt K, Draper J. Hydroxylated phenylacetamides derived from bioactive benzoxazinoids are bioavailable in humans after habitual consumption of whole grain sourdough rye bread. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2013, 57(10), 1859-1873.
- Sultan J, Di Franco F, Seal CJ, Davis P, Viswanath YKS, Preston SR, Hayes N, Griffin SM. Long term survival following perioperative enteral immunonutrition for oesophago-gastric cancer surgery (OGCS). In: 17th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Brownlee IA, Kuznesof S, Moore C, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. The impact of a 16-week dietary intervention with prescribed amounts of whole-grain foods on subsequent, elective whole grain consumption. British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 110(5), 943-948.
- Stergiadis S, Seal CJ, Leifert C, Eyre MD, Larsen MK, Butler G. Variation in nutritionally relevant components in retail Jersey and Guernsey whole milk. Food Chemistry 2013, 139(1-4), 540-548.
- McKeown NM, Jacques PF, Seal CJ, de Vries J, Jonnalagadda SS, Clemens R, Webb D, Murphy LA, van Klinken JW, Topping D, Murray R, Degeneffe D, Marquart LF. Whole Grains and Health: from Theory to Practice - Highlights of the Grains for Health Foundation's Whole Grains Summit 2012. Journal of Nutrition 2013, 143(5), 744S-758S.
- Kumar S, Harris RJ, Seal CJ, Okello EJ. An aqueous extract of Withania somnifera root inhibits amyloid-B fibril formation in vitro. Phytotherapy Research 2012, 26(1), 113-117.
- Ross AB, Macharia HN, Kochhar S, Jebb SA, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ. Can we consider plasma alkyresorcinols as a potential biomarker of whole-grain food? Reply. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2012, 96(5), 1151-1152.
- Stergiadis S, Leifert C, Seal CJ, Eyre MD, Nielsen JH, Larsen MK, Slots T, Steinshamn H, Butler G. Effect of Feeding Intensity and Milking System on Nutritionally Relevant Milk Components in Dairy Farming Systems in the North East of England. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2012, 60(29), 7270-7281.
- Ross AB, Bourgeois A, Macharia HN, Kochhar S, Jebb SA, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ. Plasma alkylresorcinols as a biomarker of whole-grain food consumption in a large population: Results from the WHOLEheart Intervention Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2012, 95(1), 204-211.
- Sultan J, Griffin SM, Di Franco F, Kirby JA, Shenton BK, Seal CJ, Davis P, Viswanath YKS, Preston SR, Hayes N. Randomized clinical trial of omega-3 fatty acid-supplemented enteral nutrition versus standard enteral nutrition in patients undergoing oesophagogastric cancer surgery. British Journal of Surgery 2012, 99(3), 346-355.
- Kuznesof S, Brownlee IA, Moore C, Richardson DP, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. WHOLEheart study participant acceptance of wholegrain foods. Appetite 2012, 59(1), 187-193.