School of Computing

If Things Go Wrong

If Things Go Wrong


Find out what to do if you're ill while you're studying with us.

If you are ill at any point at University, you should inform your personal tutor as soon as possible. 

Find out more about the University's sickness and absence procedure

Absence through illness

For more than three working days

If you are absent for more than three working days (Monday through Friday), you must fill in a Self-Certification of Illness form. You can get this from the School Office, or print it from S3P. 

You need to hand the form in to the School Office. 

Absent for more than seven working days

If you are absent for more than seven working days, you have to get a medical certificate from your doctor.

You need to hand the certificate in to the School Office. 

Extenuating circumstances

Inform your personal tutor if your absence has affected your academic performance.

This could be an assessment, coursework or exam. Or you may have been unable to attend a required session. 

You need to fill in a Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC) form. You'll have to explain how your illness has affected your studies. 


If you don't want any details to be known, even to your tutor, you can provide a confidential letter. 

Put the letter and explanatory information in a sealed envelope. Hand it in to the Chair of the School PEC committee.

Extenuating Circumstances

Find out what to do if you believe illness or other personal circumstances has affected your academic performance.

You should first discuss your issues with your personal tutor. They will treat anything you say in strict confidence. 

Personal Extenuating Circumstances form

They may advise you to fill in a Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC) form. This form will only be seen by those people who need to know in order to help you.

The PEC form is the best way of communicating any personal or medical problems. Through this form you can:

  • tell the School about your problems
  • provide evidence
  • request a number of types of adjustment 

Adjustment can include coursework extensions, exam deferrals, or Board of Examiners discretion.


You must provide evidence. Find out what types of evidence are accepted on the University student resources pages.

In general, you must:

  • provide clear evidence of all problems 
  • say how long you were affected
  • be specific about the problem
  • be precise about how your work was affected
  • indicate how long the problems lasted
  • list all modules and assessments that were affected


You'll be contacted when a decision has been made. 

For decisions about extensions to coursework, you will likely be notified within a few days. 

All other decisions will be considered at a meeting of the PEC Committee. 

Change of Circumstances

Sometimes circumstances do change. Find out what to do if your circumstances change while you're at university.

You may decide that you want to:

  • transfer degree programmes
  • suspend your studies
  • withdraw from the University

Who to speak to

If you are thinking about any of these options, speak with your personal tutor. They can help you work out your options. 

You can also seek confidential advice from Student Wellbeing.

Procedures and forms

More information on the relevant procedures and the forms you may need to fill in are available on the student resources pages.

Your personal tutor can help you complete these forms if necessary.

You might need permission to make these changes from the Degree Programme Director.

Complaints & Appeals

Find out how you can make a complaint or appeal against an academic decision.


The Student Complaints and Resolution Procedure is the University’s formal complaints procedure. It operates under the Student Charter. 

It allows students to make a complaint about:

  • a service
  • a member of staff 
  • another student within the University

The procedure applies to all formal complaints. This includes those related to harassment or racial equality. 

You can make a complaint about almost any aspect of your academic studies. You'll have to provide evidence to support any allegation. 

You can't make a complaint to try to overturn the academic decision of examiners. You'll need to make an academic appeal instead.

In all cases you should try to resolve your complaint informally first with the individual concerned. 

Academic appeals

The Student Academic Queries and Appeals Procedure is for appeals against the decisions of the Boards of Examiners.

This includes decisions on:

  • Personal Extenuating Circumstance Committees
  • Sanctions imposed under Unsatisfactory Progress procedures

It does not include:

  • Assessment irregularities