Research & Impact Facilitator-Computing
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 2747
- Address: School of Computing
2nd Floor, Urban Science Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Since joining the University in 2005, I have gained a wealth of experience working in complex environments, these vary from a clinical research environment, including in an environment in which translational research is key, to an academic research environment, including in an interdisciplinary Institute.
I have a wide-ranging and in-depth knowledge of business operating procedures, gained through working for the University, the NHS and through my studies outside of work.
I have managed a number of academic (non-clinical) research projects, including complex projects involving the recruitment of incoming and outgoing Marie Curie fellows, liaison with non-EU project partners, negotiation with funders and management of project reports and outputs. I have experience of managing academic projects from initial sourcing of funding, through grant submission, project monitoring and finally to project closedown and final report.
Following a Faculty restructure I joined the School of Computing in 2017 where I undertook the role of the School Research and Impact Facilitator.
Roles and Responsibilities
The School of Computing brings together academic staff across a wide range of disciplines and carries out fundamental computing science research which is evaluated and extended through application to industrial and interdisciplinary challenges. It constantly evolves to address the new challenges posed by a fast-changing environment. Computer systems are becoming ever more complex, critical and interconnected, and often directly related to the public.
The School received a fantastic result in the REF 2014 exercise in which it jumped from 22nd to 9th place in the UK by GPA. This places it in the top quartile for Computing Science and all of the impact case studies were judged to be world-leading.
- develop and implement both the School and Faculty research strategy and vision
- deliver all strategic, operational preparations for external research assessment exercises
- develop appropriate mechanisms to ensure delivery against school strategic plans and KPIs
- analyse research data and performance to identify key trends, risks and opportunities and use this data to improve research performance and visibility
- ensure compliance with internal and external research policies and procedures. e.g. those governing ethics, Open Access publishing, managing research data and others
- develop, implement and undertake training needs in relation to impact, engagement and research policy within the school
- manage and implement new initiatives that will enhance the research culture and environment for all staff
I graduated from Northumbria University in 2010 with a BA (Hons) in Leadership and Business Management