Senior Research Software Engineer
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Urban Sciences Building, Room 4.037
1 Science Square
Newcastle upon Tyne
Mark Turner leads the Research Software Engineering team in the Digital Institute. The team focuses on delivering software engineering expertise for research projects across the university. He graduated with a BSc in Computing from Northumbria University in 2008 followed by an MSc from Newcastle Universtiy in 2012. In 2016 he was elected as a trustee for the UK Research Software Engineering Association, contributing to the transformation of the association into a registered charity in 2018.
Since joining the university in 2012 he designed and implemented software applications for a number of research projects. Everything from the gamification of stroke rehabilitation physical therapy to mobile applications for alerting stakeholders to damage to rock art carvings and the leveraging of cloud computing to render a trillion pixel image from a vector model of Newcastle city centre.
- Turner M, Dowsland S, Mazel A, Giesen M. Rock art CARE: A cross-platform mobile application for crowdsourcing heritage conservation data for the safeguarding of open-air rock art. Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Simpson M, Woodman S, Hiden H, Stein S, Dowsland S, Turner M, Hanson VL, Watson P. A platform for the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data about the built environment and its users. In: Proceedings - 13th IEEE International Conference on eScience, eScience 2017. 2017, Auckland, New Zealand: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Turner M, Dowsland S, Mazel A, Giesen M. Rock Art CARE: A cross platform mobile application for crowdsourcing heritage conservation data for the safeguarding of open-air rock art. AUGUST 28 - SEPTEMBER 1, 2017, OTTAWA, CANADA. In: Digital Workflows for Heritage Conservation. 2017, Ottawa, Canada.
- Woodman S, Hiden H, Turner M, Dowsland S, Watson P. Monitoring of Upper Limb Rehabilitation and Recovery after Stroke: an Architecture for a Cloud-based Therapy Platform. In: 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on e-Science. 2015, Munich: IEEE.
- Mearns G, Simmonds R, Richardson R, Turner M, Watson P, Missier P. Tweet My Street: A Cross-Disciplinary Collaboration for the Analysis of Local Twitter Data. Future Internet 2014, 6, 378-396.
- Mcgough AS, Turner M, Mortimer D, Woodman S, Watson P. The Cutting Edge: Discoverability for Historical Artefacts. In: Microsoft e-Science Workshop. 2012, Chicago, Illinois, USA.