Senior Software Specialist
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 191 208 4145
Stephen is a Senior Software Specialist at the National Innovation Centre for Data (NICD) at Newcastle University.
Prior to joining NICD in 2018 Stephen spent over 10 years working in both research software engineering and in industry architecting and implementing scalable cloud based software solutions.
At NICD Stephen specialises in architecting scalable big data cloud solutions and spends most days wrangling large datasets and throwing large amounts of cloud compute to crunch though that data to discover valuable insights. Stephen is also an advocate for software engineering best practices and tooling.
- Turner M, Dowsland S, Mazel A, Giesen M. Rock art CARE: A cross-platform mobile application for crowdsourcing heritage conservation data for the safeguarding of open-air rock art. Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development 2018, 8(4), 420-433.
- Simpson M, Woodman S, Hiden H, Stein S, Dowsland S, Turner M, Hanson VL, Watson P. A platform for the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data about the built environment and its users. In: Proceedings - 13th IEEE International Conference on eScience, eScience 2017. 2017, Auckland, New Zealand: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Dowsland S, Turner MD, Holliman N. A Scalable Platform for Visualization Using the Cloud. In: International Conference on Computer Games, Multimedia & Allied Technology. 2017, Singapore: Global Science and Technology Forum = GSTF.
- Holliman NS, Turner M, Dowsland S, Cloete R, Picton T. Designing a Cloud-based 3D Visualization Engine for Smart Cities. In: Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXVIII. 2017, Society for Imaging Science and Technology. In Preparation.
- Turner M, Dowsland S, Mazel A, Giesen M. Rock Art CARE: A cross platform mobile application for crowdsourcing heritage conservation data for the safeguarding of open-air rock art. AUGUST 28 - SEPTEMBER 1, 2017, OTTAWA, CANADA. In: Digital Workflows for Heritage Conservation. 2017, Ottawa, Canada.
- Woodman S, Hiden H, Turner M, Dowsland S, Watson P. Monitoring of Upper Limb Rehabilitation and Recovery after Stroke: an Architecture for a Cloud-based Therapy Platform. In: 2015 IEEE 11th International Conference on e-Science. 2015, Munich: IEEE.