Dr Katherine Wilson
Associate Clinical Lecturer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 2825306
- Address: Department of Sedation
Newcastle Dental School
Newcastle upon Tyne
The British Dental Journal
Journal of Disability and Oral Health
International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Have been teaching in the field of Sedation and Special Care Dentistry for over 20 years at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, on both a local and national level.
Academic achievements include a PhD in Dental Sedation, Masters in Community Dental Health, Masters in Medical Education and the Diploma in Conscious Sedation in Dentistry.
Have presented my work widely a national and international level.
TeachingLecturer and examiner for the Postgraduate Diploma in Conscious Sedation in Dentistry
Lecturer and Clinical Trainer in Sedation for Undergraduate dental students
TPD for Specialist Training Programme in Special Care Dentistry
External examiner for Trinity College Dublin, Diploma in Conscious Sedation
Programme lead for the Certificate in Dental Nurse Sedation
Programme lead for the Certificate in Dental Nurse Special Care Dentistry
- Hiral P, Reid C, Wilson K, Girdler NM. Inter-rater agreement between children's self-reported and parents' proxy-reported dental anxiety. British Dental Journal 2015, 218, E6.
- Clarke M, Wilson KE, Girdler NM, Stassen LFA. Effect of patient position and verbal interaction on recovery following intravenous sedation. Oral Surgery 2013, 6(4), 193-199.
- Wilson K, Bouchiba M, Vithlani G, Holmes R. Patient satisfaction with oral urgent treatment (OUT) in North West Tanzania. British Dental Journal 2013, 215(3), 131-134.
- Hierons RJ, Dorman ML, Wilson K, Averley P, Girdler N. Investigation of inhalational conscious sedation as a tool for reducing anxiety in adults undergoing exodontia. British Dental Journal 2012, 213, E9.
- Wilson KE, Dorman ML, Moore PA, Girdler NM. Pain control and anxiety management for periodontal therapies. Periodontology 2000 2008, 46(1), 42-55.
- Wilson KE, Welbury RR, Girdler NM. Comparison of transmucosal midazolam with inhalation sedation for dental extractions in children. a randomized, cross-over, clinical trial. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica 2007, 51(8), 1062-1067.
- Wilson KE, Girdler NM, Welbury RR. A comparison of oral midazolam and nitrous oxide sedation for dental extractions in children. Anaesthesia 2006, 61(12), 1138-1144.
- Wilson KE, Girdler NM, Welbury RR. [abstract] Intravenous midazolam sedation for orthodontic extractions in paediatric dental patients. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2004, 14(5), 400.
- Shearer J, Wilson KE, Girdler NM. A survey of the opinions of consultant anaesthetists in Scotland of sedation carried out by dentists. British Dental Journal 2004, 196(2), 93-98.
- Wilson KE, Girdler NM, Welbury RR. Randomized, controlled, cross-over clinical trial comparing intravenous midazolam sedation with nitrous oxide sedation in children undergoing dental extractions. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2003, 91(6), 850-856.
- Nunn JH, Prabhu NT, Wilson K, Enever G, Evans D, Steen N. Results of a questionnaire-based survey to the parents/carers of disabled patients. In: Journal of Dental Research: 1st Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dental Research. 2003, Cardiff, UK: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Wilson KE, Welbury RR, Girdler NM. A randomised, controlled, crossover trial of oral midazolam and nitrous oxide for paediatric dental sedation. Anaesthesia 2002, 57(9), 860-867.
- Wilson KE, Welbury RR, Girdler NM. A study of the effectiveness of oral midazolam sedation for orthodontic extraction of permanent teeth in children: A prospective, randomised, controlled, crossover trial. British Dental Journal 2002, 192(8), 457-462.
- Prabhu N, Nunn J, Wilson K, Enever G, Evans D, Steen N, Girdler N. The development of a screening tool to asess disabled people's suitability for oral care in primary or secondary care settings. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A182 abstract no. 1323.
- Wilson K, Girdler NM, Welbury RR. Oral midazolam sedation for orthodontic extractions in children. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2001, 11, 388-389.
- Wilson K, Girdler NM, Lyne JP. Patient-controlled sedation in phobic dental patients. Proceedings of the Association of Dental Anaesthetists 2000, 18, 41-43.
- Wilson K, Amin K, Girdler NM. Evaluation of clinical effectiveness in the provision of conscious sedation for anxious dental patients. Faculty Dental Journal 2017, 8(4), 144-149.
- Scally K, Wilson K, Linsley M, Girdler NM. Formative assessment used to enhance knowledge, skills and student experience in undergraduate sedation teaching. Journal of Disability and Oral Health 2017, 18(4), 117-123.
- Burgess D, Holmes R, Wilson K. How do dentally anxious patients account for the onset of their dental anxiety?. In: The Psychosomatic Factor in Clinical Practice. 23rd World Congress on Psychosomatic Medicine. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Karger.
- Wilson KE. Overview of paediatric dental sedation: 1. Current UK guidelines. Dental Update 2013, 40(9), 728-730.
- Wilson KE. Overview of paediatric dental sedation: 2. Nitrous oxide/oxygen inhalation sedation. Dental Update 2013, 40(10), 822-829.