Professor Philip Preshaw
Professor of Periodontology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8193
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6137
- Address: School of Dental Sciences and
Institute of Cellular Medicine
Newcastle upon Tyne
I received my dental degree (BDS) from the University of Newcastle in 1991 and PhD in Periodontology in 1997. I then worked as Assistant Professor in Periodontology at the Ohio State University, Columbus, USA, before returning to Newcastle in 2000. My research priority is to conduct high quality translational research that is positioned at the interface between clinical periodontology and laboratory-based studies of periodontal disease. I have a particular interest in the links between periodontitis and diabetes, with ongoing studies to elucidate the molecular mechanisms that underpin these links. I also conduct research of the molecular composition of saliva, with the aim to identify methods for earlier diagnosis of periodontal diseases.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Dental Clinical Research Facility (Newcastle School of Dental Sciences and Dental Hospital).
Chairman of the Newcastle and North Tyneside 1 Research Ethics Committee.
Consultant in Restorative Dentistry (Periodontology).
Course director for Undergraduate Periodontology.
2005 FDS (Rest Dent) RCSEd
Assistant Professor in Periodontology, Ohio State University, USA
British Society of Periodontology (BSP)
British Society for Dental Research (BSDR)
European Federation of Periodontology (EFP)
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
Honours and Awards
2009 King James IV Professor (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh)
2008 Distinguished Scientist Award (IADR)
2007 Rizzo Periodontal Research Award (IADR)
2004-2009 UK Department of Health/MRC/NIHR National Clinician Scientist
1999 British Society of Periodontology Sir Wilfred Fish Certificate of Merit
1997 British Society of Periodontology Fellowship Award
1995 Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Dean's Medal
My main research interests relate to the pathogenesis and immunobiology of periodontal disease. I am interested in understanding better the inflammatory processes that result in periodontal tissue destruction, and how these destructive events may be ameliorated or modified. Modulation of inflammatory responses is likely to lead to novel management strategies for periodontal disease, an area that is particularly exciting. In this regard, I have conducted several clinical trials of the use of subantimicrobial dose doxycycline (a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor) as an adjunctive periodontal therapy.
Risk factors for periodontal disease are also a key research interest of mine. I currently am investigating the relationships between diabetes and periodontal disease, focussing on the molecular mechanisms that link the two diseases.
In addition to diabetes, another significant risk factor for periodontal disease is smoking. I have shown that quitting smoking results in significant improvements in periodontal health, which helps to reinforce the anti-smoking message.
Another key research area is the potential utility of saliva for earlier diagnosis of periodontal diseases. Saliva is easily obtained, and could be very useful for the detection of a variety of oral and systemic conditions.
Diabetes is a significant risk factor for periodontal disease, and importantly, periodontitis appears to impair glycaemic control in people with diabetes. That is, a 'two-way' relationship exists between the conditions, with each having a negative impact on the other. We are investigating the immunobiology of the relationships between periodontitis and diabetes, with specific reference to the role of adipokines such as leptin, and signalling pathways and inflammatory responses in myeloid cells such as monocytes as well as fibroblasts.
An important strand of research focusing on diabetes and periodontitis relates to the overall management of people with diabetes. At present, oral health screening is not routinely incorporated into diabetes assessment programmes, yet our research has shown that patients would welcome, and benefit from, improved collaborative management between medical and dental healthcare teams.
The potential use of saliva for earlier detection of periodontitis could yield benefits for the management of this highly prevalent condition. We are currently working with local biotechnology companies (OJbio and ORLA Protein Technologies) in a major project funded by the EPSRC and Technology Strategy Board to develop this research area further.
2009: King James IV Professor
Honorary Professorship awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in respect of significant contributions to the clinical and/or scientific basis of surgery.
2008: Distinguished Scientist Award (Young Investigator Award)
Awarded annually by the IADR (International Association for Dental Research) in respect of outstanding contributions by younger researchers in dental research.
2007: Anthony Rizzo Periodontal Research Award
Awarded annually by Periodontal Research Group of the IADR in respect of outstanding contributions by younger researchers in periodontal research.
£3.6 million of research funding to date (£2.9 millions as Principal Investigator)
Research has been funded by the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR), Department of Health (UK), Dunhill Medical Trust (UK), CollaGenex Pharmaceuticals (USA), Optiva Corporation (USA), Oral and Dental Research Trust (UK), Philips Oral Healthcare (USA), CollaGenex International Ltd (UK), Newcastle Hospitals NHS Trust (UK), Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (UK), Laboratoires Carilene (France), Dexcel Pharma Ltd (UK).
Research is conducted to EU and FDA GCP standards. Fully compliant with research governance protocols and the EU clinical trials directive.
- Holliday R, Ryan V, McColl E, Preshaw PM. Letter to the editor: RE: Comparison of periodontal parameters and self‐perceived oral symptoms among cigarette smokers, individuals vaping electronic cigarettes and never‐smokers: A pilot study. Journal of Periodontology 2018, 89(5), 515-516.
- Gursoy M, Wilensky A, Claffey N, Herrera D, Preshaw PM, Sanz M, Schlagenhauf U, Trombelli L, Demirel K. Periodontal education and assessment in the undergraduate dental curriculum-A questionnaire-based survey in European countries. European Journal of Dental Education 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Holliday R, Arnott D, Preshaw PM, Bauld L. Smoking: Developing the evidence base. British Dental Journal 2018, 224, 3-4.
- Holliday R, Amin K, Lawrence V, Preshaw PM. Tobacco education in UK dental schools: A survey of current practice. European Journal of Dental Education 2018, 22(2), e248-e252.
- Bissett SM, Presseau J, Rapley T, Preshaw PM. Uptake of best practice recommendations in the management of patients with diabetes and periodontitis: a cross-sectional survey of dental clinicians. British Dental Journal 2018. In Press.
- Rostami N, Shields RC, Yassin SA, Hawkins AR, Bowen L, Luo TL, Rickard AH, Holliday R, Preshaw PM, Jakubovics NS. A Critical Role for Extracellular DNA in Dental Plaque Formation. Journal of Dental Research 2017, 96(2), 208-216.
- Preshaw PM, Henne K, Taylor JJ, Valentine RA, Conrads G. Age-related changes in immune function (immune senescence) in caries and periodontal diseases: a systematic review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2017, 44, S153-S177.
- Tonetti MS, Bottenberg P, Conrads G, Eickholz P, Heasman P, Huysmans M-C, Lopez R, Madianos P, Muller F, Needleman I, Nyvad B, Preshaw PM, Pretty I, Renvert S, Schwendicke F, Trombelli L, van der Putten G-J, Vanobbergen J, West N, Young A, Paris S. Dental caries and periodontal diseases in the ageing population: call to action to protect and enhance oral health and well-being as an essential component of healthy ageing – Consensus report of group 4 of the joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2017, 44, S135-S144.
- Holliday R, Kist R, Bauld L, Preshaw PM. E-cigarettes and oral health: a balanced viewpoint. Oral Diseases 2017, 23(8), 1180-1181.
- Jepsen S, Caton JG, Albandar JM, Bissada NF, Bouchard P, Cortellini P, Demirel K, de Sanctis M, Ercoli C, Fan J, Geurs NC, Hughes FJ, Jin L, Kantarci A, Lalla E, Madianos PN, Matthews D, McGuire MK, Mills MP, Preshaw PM, Reynolds MA, Sculean A, Susin C, West NX, Yamazaki K. Periodontal manifestations of systemic diseases and developmental and acquired conditions: Consensus report of workgroup 3 of the 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions. In: World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri‐Implant Diseases and Conditions. 2017, Chicago: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Holliday R, Preshaw PM, Bauld L. Smoking cessation: The role of e-cigarettes. British Dental Journal 2017, 222, 3.
- Pumerantz AS, Bissett SM, Dong F, Ochoa C, Wassall RR, Davila H, Barbee M, Nguyen J, Vila P, Preshaw PM. Standardized screening for periodontitis as an integral part of multidisciplinary management of adults with type 2 diabetes: An observational cross-sectional study of cohorts in the USA and UK. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care 2017, 5(1), e000413.
- Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Clinical and technical considerations in the analysis of gingival crevicular fluid. Periodontology 2000 2016, 7070(1), 65-79.
- Madianos P, Papaioannou W, Herrera D, Sanz M, Baeumer A, Bogren A, Bouchard P, Chomyszyn-Gajewska M, Demirel K, Gaspersic R, Giurgiu M, Graziani F, Jepsen K, Jepsen S, OBrien T, Polyzois I, Preshaw PM, Rakic M, Reners M, Rincic N, Stavropoulos A, Sutcu S, Verner C, Llodra JC. EFP Delphi study on the trends in Periodontology and Periodontics in Europe for the year 2025. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2016, 43(6), 472-481.
- Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Gingival crevicular fluid and saliva. Periodontology 2000 2016, 70(1), 7-10.
- Desai R, Taylor J, Wassall RR, McCracken G, Preshaw PM. Inflammatory Mechanisms Linking Type 1 Diabetes and Periodontitis. In: IADR General Session. 2016, Seoul, Korea.
- Williams RC, Skelton AJ, Todryk SM, Rowan AD, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Leptin and Pro-Inflammatory Stimuli Synergistically Upregulate MMP-1 and MMP-3 Secretion in Human Gingival Fibroblasts. PLOS One 2016, 11(2), e0148024.
- O'Malley L, Bonetti DL, Adair P, Jervoe-Storm P-M, Preshaw PM. Psychological interventions for improving adherence to oral hygiene instructions in adults with periodontal diseases. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, 2016(1).
- Jaedicke K, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Salivary cytokines as biomarkers of periodontal diseases. Periodontology 2000 2016, 70(1), 164-183.
- Preshaw PM. Detection and diagnosis of periodontal conditions amenable to prevention. BMC Oral Health 2015, 15(Suppl 1).
- Chambrone L, Shibli JA, Mercurio CE, Cardoso B, Preshaw PM. Efficacy of standard (SLA) and modified sandblasted and acid-etched (SLActive) dental implants in promoting immediate and/or early occlusal loading protocols: a systematic review of prospective studies. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2015, 26(4), 359-370.
- Heasman PA, Holliday R, Bryant A, Preshaw PM. Evidence for the occurrence of gingival recession and non-carious cervical lesions as a consequence of traumatic toothbrushing. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2015, 42(S16), S237-S255.
- Irani FC, Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Impact of periodontal status on oral health-related quality of life in patients with and without type 2 diabetes. Journal of Dentistry 2015, 43(5), 506-511.
- Heasman PA, Witter J, Preshaw PM. Periodontology in the undergraduate curriculum in UK dental schools. British Dental Journal 2015, 219(1), 29-33.
- Birch S, Bridgman C, Brocklehurst P, Ellwood R, Gomez J, Helgeson M, Ismail A, Macey R, Mariotti A, Twetman S, Preshaw PM, Pretty IA, Whelton H. Prevention in practice - a summary. BMC Oral Health 2015, 15(Supp 1).
- Mason MR, Preshaw PM, Nagaraja HN, Dabdoub SM, Rahman A, Kumar PS. The subgingival microbiome of clinically healthy current and never smokers. ISME Journal 2015, 9(1), 268-272.
- Holliday R, Preshaw P, Bowen L, Jakubovics N. The ultrastructure of subgingival dental plaque, revealed by high-resolution field emission scanning electron microscopy. BDJ Open 2015, 1, 15003.
- Azman R, Lappin DF, MacPherson A, Riggio M, Robertson D, Hodge P, Ramage G, Culshaw S, Preshaw PM, Taylor J, Nile C. Clinical associations between IL-17 family cytokines and periodontitis and potential differential roles for IL-17A and IL-17E in periodontal immunity. Inflammation Research 2014, 63(12), 1001-1012.
- Casanova L, Hughes FJ, Preshaw PM. Diabetes and periodontal disease: a two-way relationship. British Dental Journal 2014, 217(8), 433-437.
- Desai R, Durham J, Wassell RW, Preshaw PM. Does the mode of administration of the Oral Health Impact Profile-49 affect the outcome score?. Journal of Dentistry 2014, 42(1), 84-89.
- Chambrone L, Preshaw PM, Ferreira JD, Rodrigues JA, Cassoni A, Shibli JA. Effects of tobacco smoking on the survival rate of dental implants placed in areas of maxillary sinus floor augmentation: a systematic review. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2014, 25(4), 408-416.
- Jitprasertwong P, Jaedicke KM, Nile CJ, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Leptin enhances the secretion of interleukin (IL)-18, but not IL-1B, from human monocytes via activation of caspase-1. Cytokine 2014, 65(2), 222-230.
- Griffiths GS, Preshaw PM. Manpower planning in periodontology - how many specialists do we need?. British Dental Journal 2014, 217(8), 399-402.
- Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM, Lalla E. A review of the evidence for pathogenic mechanisms that may link periodontitis and diabetes. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2013, 40(Supp.s14), S113-S134.
- Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM, Lalla E. A review of the evidence for pathogenic mechanisms that may link periodontitis and diabetes (Reprinted from Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol 40, pg S113-S134, 2013). Journal of Periodontology 2013, 84(4), S113-S134.
- Bissett SM, Stone KM, Rapley T, Preshaw PM. An exploratory qualitative interview study about collaboration between medicine and dentistry in relation to diabetes management. BMJ Open 2013, 3(2), e002192.
- Chambrone L, Preshaw PM, Rosa EF, Heasman PA, Romito GA, Pannuti CM, Tu YK. Effects of smoking cessation on the outcomes of non-surgical periodontal therapy: a systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2013, 40(6), 607-615.
- Durham J, Fraser HM, McCracken GI, Stone KM, John MT, Preshaw PM. Impact of periodontitis on oral health-related quality of life. Journal of Dentistry 2013, 41(4), 370-376.
- Jaedicke KM, Roythorne A, Padget K, Todryk S, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Leptin up-regulates TLR2 in human monocytes. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 2013, 93(4), 561-571.
- Preshaw P, Holliday R, Law H, Heasman P. Outcomes of non-surgical periodontal treatment by dental hygienists in training: impact of site- and patient-level factors. International Journal of Dental Hygiene 2013, 11(4), 273-279.
- Preshaw PM, Bissett SM. Periodontitis: Oral Complication of Diabetes. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America 2013, 42(4), 849-867.
- Guentsch A, Seidler K, Nietzsche S, Hefti AF, Preshaw PM, Watts DC, Jandt KD, Sigusch BW. Biomimetic mineralization: Long-term observations in patients with dentin sensitivity. Dental Materials 2012, 28(4), 457-464.
- Field CA, Gidley MD, Preshaw PM, Jakubovics N. Investigation and quantification of key periodontal pathogens in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Periodontal Research 2012, 47(4), 470-478.
- Preshaw PM, Alba AL, Herrera D, Jepsen S, Konstantinidis A, Makrilakis K, Taylor R. Periodontitis and diabetes: a two-way relationship. Diabetologia 2012, 55(1), 21-31.
- Jaedicke KJ, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Validation and quality control for ELISAs for use with human saliva samples. Journal of Immunological Methods 2012, 377(1-2), 62-65.
- Preshaw PM, Walls AWG, Jakubovics NS, Moynihan PJ, Jepson NJA, Loewy Z. Association of removable partial denture use with oral and systemic health. Journal of Dentistry 2011, 39(11), 711-719.
- Davies RC, Jaedicke KM, Barksby HE, Jitprasertwong P, Al-Shahwani RM, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Do patients with aggressive periodontitis have evidence of diabetes? A pilot study. Journal of Periodontal Research 2011, 46(6), 663-672.
- Kinane DF, Preshaw PM, Loos BG. Host-response: understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms of host-microbial interactions - Consensus of the Seventh European Workshop on Periodontology. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2011, 38(s11), 44-48.
- Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. How has research into cytokine interactions and their role in driving immune responses impacted our understanding of periodontitis?. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2011, 38(s11), 60-84.
- Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Periodontal pathogenesis. In: Newman, M.G., Tkei, H.H., Klokkevold, P.R., Carranza, F.A, ed. Carranza's Clinical Periodontology. St Louis, Missouri, USA: Elsevier Saunders, 2011, pp.194-216.
- Preshaw P, De Silva N, McCracken G, Fernando D, Dalton C, Steen N, Heasman P. Compromised periodontal status in an urban Sri Lankan population with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2010, 37(2), 165-171.
- Nile CJ, Barksby E, Jitprasertwong P, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Expression and regulation of interleukin-33 in human monocytes. Immunology 2010, 130(2), 172-180.
- Guentsch A, Ronnebeck M, Puklo M, Preshaw PM, Pfister W, Eick S. Influence of serum on interaction of Porphyromonas gingivalis ATCC 33277 and Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans Y4 with an epithelial cell line. Journal of Periodontal Research 2010, 45(2), 229-238.
- Warnakulasuriya S, Dietrich T, Bornstein MM, Peidro EC, Preshaw PM, Walter C, Wennstrom JL, Bergstrom J. Oral health risks of tobacco use and effects of cessation. International Dental Journal 2010, 60(1), 7-30.
- O'Dowd LK, Durham J, McCracken GI, Preshaw PM. Patients' experiences of the impact of periodontal disease. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2010, 37(4), 334-339.
- Delima SL, McBride RK, Preshaw PM, Heasman PA, Kumar PS. Response of Subgingival Bacteria to Smoking Cessation. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2010, 48(7), 2344-2349.
- Preshaw PM. Definitions of periodontal disease in research. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2009, 36(1), 1-2.
- Barksby HE, Nile CJ, Jaedicke KM, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Differential expression of immunoregulatory genes in monocytes in response to Porphyromonas gingivalis and Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2009, 156(3), 479-487.
- Heasman PA, Preshaw PM, Turnock C, Gray J. Does attendance of students and supervisors at meetings affect the opinions of NHS research ethics committees of student projects?. Research Ethics Review 2009, 5(3), 99-101.
- Guentsch A, Puklo M, Preshaw PM, Glockmann E, Pfister W, Potempa J, Eick S. Neutrophils in chronic and aggressive periodontitis in interaction with Porphyromonas gingivalis and Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans. Journal of Periodontal Research 2009, 44(3), 368-377.
- Preshaw PM. Periodontal disease and diabetes. Journal of Dentistry 2009, 37(8), S575-S577.
- Fullmer SC, Preshaw PM, Heasman PA, Kumar PS. Smoking Cessation Alters Subgingival Microbial Recolonization. Journal of Dental Research 2009, 88(6), 524-528.
- Preshaw PM. Diabetes and periodontal disease. International Dental Journal 2008, 58(4 s1), 237-243.
- Preshaw PM. Diabetes and periodontal disease. International Dental Journal 2008, 58(4 (Suppl.1)), S237-S243.
- Barksby HE, Nile CJ, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Differential expression of immuno-regulatory genes in monocytes in response to Porphyromas gingivalis and Escherichia coli LPS. In: Annual Congress of the British Society for Immunology. 2008, Glasgow, Scotland: Immunology: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Heasman PA, Preshaw PM, Gray J. Does researchers’ attendance at meetings affect the initial opinions of research ethics committees?. Research Ethics Review 2008, 4(2), 56-58.
- Preshaw PM. Host response modulation in periodontics. Periodontology 2000 2008, 48(1), 92-110.
- Jaedicke KM, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Leptin upregulates TLR expression in human monocytes. In: Annual Congress of the British Society for Immunology. 2008, Glasgow, Scotland: Immunology: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Guentsch A, Preshaw PM, Bremer-Streck S, Klinger G, Glockmann E, Sigusch BW. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant activity in saliva of periodontitis patients: effect of smoking and periodontal treatment. Clinical Oral Investigations 2008, 12(4), 345-352.
- Preshaw PM, Novak MJ, Mellonig J, Magnusson I, Polson A, Giannobile WV, Rowland RW, Thomas J, Walker C, Dawson DR, Sharkey D, Bradshaw MH. Modified-release subantimicrobial dose doxycycline enhances scaling and root planing in subjects with periodontal disease. Journal of Periodontology 2008, 79(3), 440-452.
- Fraser H, Preshaw PM, Taylor R, Weaver JU, Wassall RR. Oral Hygiene and Periodontal Health in Type 1 Diabetes Patients. In: IADR 86th General Session. 2008, Toronto: International Association for Dental Research.
- Preshaw PM, Barskby HE, Fraser H, Taylor JJ, Weaver JJ, Taylor R, Wassall RR. Serum Cytokine Concentrations in Periodontal Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. . 2008.
- Nile CJ, Barksby HE, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. The expression and regulation of IL-33 in human monocytes. In: Annual Congress of the British Society for Immunology. 2008, Glasgow, Scotland: Immunology: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Guentsch A, Preshaw PM. The use of a linear oscillating device in periodontal treatment: a review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2008, 35(6), 514-524.
- Sharpe G, Durham JA, Preshaw PM. Attitudes regarding specialist referrals in periodontics. British Dental Journal 2007, 202(4), E11-.
- Ellis JS, Averley PA, Preshaw PM, Steele JG, Seymour RA, Thomason JM. Change in cardiovascular risk status after dental clearance. British Dental Journal 2007, 202(9), 543-544.
- Preshaw PM, Foster N, Taylor JJ. Cross-susceptibility between periodontal disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus: an immunobiological perspective. Periodontology 2000 2007, 45(1), 138-157.
- Mouly SJ, Orler J-B, Tillet Y, Coudert A-C, Oberli F, Preshaw P, Bergmann J-F. Efficacy of a new oral lubricant solution in the management of psychotropic drug-induced xerostomia: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2007, 27(5), 437-443.
- Mouly S, Salom M, Tillet Y, Coudert A-C, Oberli F, Preshaw PM, Desjonqueres S, Bergmann J-F. Management of xerostomia in older patients: A randomised controlled trial evaluating the efficacy of a new oral lubricant solution. Drugs and Aging 2007, 24(11), 957-965.
- Foster N, Lea SR, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. Pivotal advance: Vasoactive intestinal peptide inhibits up-regulation of human monocyte TLR2 and TLR4 by LPS and differentiation of monocytes to macrophages. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 2007, 81(4), 893-903.
- Preshaw PM, Grainger P, Bradshaw MH, Mohammad AR, Powala CV, Nolan A. Subantimicrobial dose doxycycline in the treatment of recurrent oral aphthous ulceration: A pilot study. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2007, 36(4), 236-240.
- Barksby HE, Lea SR, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. The expanding family of interleukin-1 cytokines and their role in destructive inflammatory disorders. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2007, 149(2), 217-225.
- Foster N, Andreadou K, Jamieson L, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ. VIP inhibits P. gingivalis LPS-induced IL-18 and IL-18BPa in monocytes. Journal of Dental Research 2007, 86(9), 883-887.
- Merika K, Hefti AF, Preshaw PM. Comparison of two topical treatments for dentine sensitivity. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2006, 14(1), 38-41.
- Guntsch A, Erler M, Preshaw PM, Sigusch BW, Klinger G, Glockmann E. Effect of smoking on crevicular polymorphonuclear neutrophil function in periodontally healthy subjects. Journal of Periodontal Research 2006, 41(3), 184-188.
- Preshaw PM. Full mouth disinfection. Dental Therapy Journal 2006, 1, 2-5.
- De Silva NT, Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ, Jayaratne SD, Heasman PA, Fernando DJS. Periodontitis: A complication of type 2 diabetes in Sri Lankans. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2006, 74(2), 209-210.
- Nasry HA, Preshaw PM, Stacey F, Heasman L, Swan M, Heasman PA. Smoking cessation advice for patients with chronic periodontitis. British Dental Journal 2006, 200(5), 272-275.
- Nasry HA, Preshaw PM, Stacey F, Heasman L, Swan M, Heasman PA. Smoking cessation advice for patients with chronic periodontitis (vol 200, pg 272, 2006). British Dental Journal 2006, 200(8), 440-440.
- Stacey F, Heasman PA, Heasman L, Hepburn S, McCracken GI, Preshaw PM. Smoking cessation as a dental intervention - Views of the profession. British Dental Journal 2006, 201(2), 109-113.
- Heasman L, Stacey F, Preshaw PM, McCracken GI, Hepburn S, Heasman PA. The effect of smoking on periodontal treatment response: A review of clinical evidence. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2006, 33(4), 241-253.
- Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Type 2 diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for periodontal disease. Perio 2006, 3(4), 243-252.
- Shahdad SA, Taylor C, Barclay SC, Steen IN, Preshaw PM. A double-blind, crossover study of Biotène Oralbalance and BioXtra systems as salivary substitutes in patients with post-radiotherapy xerostomia. European Journal of Cancer Care 2005, 14(4), 319-326.
- Vakalis SV, Whitworth JM, Ellwood RP, Preshaw PM. A pilot study of treatment of periodontal-endodontic lesions. International Dental Journal 2005, 55(5), 313-318.
- Preshaw PM. A vision in periodontal research: predicting disease. Perio 2005, 2, 143-146.
- Preshaw PM, Hefti AF, Bradshaw MH. Adjunctive subantimicrobial dose doxycycline in smokers and non-smokers with chronic periodontitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(6), 610-616.
- Mohammad AR, Preshaw PM, Bradshaw MH, Hefti AF, Powala CV, Romanowicz M. Adjunctive subantimicrobial dose doxycycline in the management of institutionalised geriatric patients with chronic periodontitis. Gerodontology 2005, 22(1), 37-43.
- Preshaw PM, Mohammad AR. Geriatric dentistry education in European dental schools. European Journal of Dental Education 2005, 9(2), 73-77.
- Preshaw PM, Nasry H. Is osteoporosis linked to periodontal disease?. Osteoporosis Reviews 2005, 13, 1-7.
- Walker C, Preshaw PM, Novak J, Hefti AF, Bradshaw M, Powala C. Long-term treatment with sub-antimicrobial dose doxycycline has no antibacterial effect on intestinal flora. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(11), 1163-1169.
- Preshaw PM, Heasman PA. Periodontal maintenance in a specialist periodontal clinic and in general dental practice. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(3), 280-286.
- McCracken GI, Steen N, Preshaw PM, Heasman L, Stacey F, Heasman PA. The crossover design to evaluate the efficacy of plaque removal in tooth-brushing studies. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(11), 1157-1162.
- Preshaw PM, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, McCracken GI, Heasman PA. The effect of quitting smoking on chronic periodontitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(8), 869-879.
- Foster N, Cheetham J, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. VIP inhibits Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS-induced immune responses in human monocytes. Journal of Dental Research 2005, 84(11), 999-1004.
- Preshaw PM. Antibiotics in the Treatment of Periodontitis. Dental Update 2004, 31(8), 448-456.
- Mohammad AR, Giannini PJ, Preshaw PM, Alliger H. Clinical and microbiological efficacy of chlorine dioxide in the management of chronic atrophic candidiasis: an open study. International Dental Journal 2004, 54(3), 154-158.
- Preshaw PM, Seymour RA, Heasman PA. Current concepts in periodontal pathogenesis. Dental Update 2004, 31(10), 570-572, 574-578.
- Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM, Donaldson PT. Cytokine gene polymorphism and immunoregulation in periodontal disease. Periodontology 2000 2004, 35(1), 158-182.
- McCracken GI, Preshaw PM, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, Heasman PA. Efficacy of plaque removal of the Sonicare Elite versus the Sonicare Advance from hard-to-reach sites. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2004, 31(11), 1007-1011.
- Preshaw PM, Hefti AF, Jepsen S, Etienne D, Walker C, Bradshaw MH. Subantimicrobial dose doxycycline as adjunctive treatment for periodontitis: A review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2004, 31(9), 697-707.
- Preshaw PM, Hefti AF, Novak MJ, Michalowicz BS, Pihlstrom BL, Schoor R, Trummel CL, Dean J, Van Dyke TE, Walker CB, Bradshaw MH. Subantimicrobial dose doxycycline enhances the efficacy of scaling and root planning in chronic periodontitis: A multicenter trial. Journal of Periodontology 2004, 75(8), 1068-1076.
- Preshaw PM. Systemic antibiotics in the management of chronic periodontitis. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2004, 12, 63-69.
- Mohammad AR, Hooper DA, Vermilyea SG, Mariotti A, Preshaw PM. An investigation of the relationship between systemic bone density and clinical periodontal status in post-menopausal Asian-American women. International Dental Journal 2003, 53(3), 121-125.
- Seymour RA, Preshaw PM, Thomason JM, Ellis JS, Steele JG. Cardiovascular diseases and periodontology. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2003, 30(4), 279-292.
- Mohammad AR, Preshaw PM, Ettinger RL. Current status of predoctoral geriatric education in U.S. dental schools. Journal of Dental Education 2003, 67, 509-14.
- Vakalis S, Preshaw PM, Whitworth JM. Evaluation of a standardized treatment protocol for periodontal-endodontic lesions. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B227 abstract no. 1729.
- Mohammad AR, Preshaw PM, Hefti AF, Bradshaw M, Powala CV. Subantimicrobial-dose doxycycline for treatment of periodontitis in an institutionalized geriatric population. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B348 abstract no. 2701.
- Seymour RA, Preshaw PM, Steele JG. Oral health and heart disease. Primary Dental Care 2002, 9(4), 125-131.
- Preshaw PM, Heasman PA. Prostaglandin E2 concentrations in gingival crevicular fluid: Observations in untreated chronic periodontitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2002, 29(1), 15-20.
- Preshaw PM, Hefti AF, Novak MJ, Schoor R, Pihlstrom BL, Michalowicz BS, Van Dyke TE, Walker C, Powala CV. Subantimicrobial dose doxycycline enhances scaling and root planing. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A127 abstract no. 0841.
- Preshaw PM, Knutsen MA, Mariotti A. Experimental gingivitis in women using oral contraceptives. Journal of Dental Research 2001, 80(11), 2011-2015.
- Heasman PA, Preshaw PM. Longitudinal variations in GCF PGE(2) cocentrations in untreated adult periodontitis. In: Journal of Dental Research. 2000, Washington, USA: Sage Publications.
- Preshaw PM, Kupp L, Hefti AF, Mariotti A. Measurement of clinical attachment levels using a constant-force periodontal probe modified to detect the cemento-enamel junction. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1999, 26(7), 434-440.
- Preshaw PM, Schifferle RE, Walters JD. Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharide delays human polymorphonuclear leukocyte apoptosis in vitro. Journal of Periodontal Research 1999, 34(4), 197-202.
- Preshaw PM, Lauffart B, Zak E, Jeffcoat MK, Barton I, Heasman PA. Progression and Treatment of Chronic Adult Periodontitis. Journal of Periodontology 1999, 70(10), 1209-1220.
- Heasman PA, Lauffart BL, Preshaw PM. Crevicular fluid prostaglandin E2 levels in periodontitis-resistant and periodontitis-susceptible adults. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1998, 25(12), 1003-1007.
- P. M. Preshaw,B. Lauffart,P. Brown,E. Zak,P. A. Heasman. Effects of ketorolac tromethamine mouthrinse (0.1%) on crevicular fluid prostaglandin E2 concentrations in untreated chronic periodontitis. Journal of Periodontology 1998, 69, 777-783.
- P. M. Preshaw,D. R. Geatch,B. Lauffart,M. K. Jeffcoat,J. J. Taylor,P. A. Heasman. Longitudinal changes in TCRB variable gene expression and markers of gingival inflammation in experimental gingivitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1998, 25, 774-780.
- P. M. Preshaw,P. A. Heasman. How new periodontal therapies are developed and evaluated. British Dental Journal 1997, 182, 149-152.
- P. M. Preshaw,S. E. Fisher. Routine review of patients after extraction of third molars: is it justified?. British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial surgery 1997, 35, 393-395.
- J. E. Rowson,P. M. Preshaw. The use of lignocaine in dental practice: results of a survey of a group of general and hospital dental practitioners. Journal of Dentistry 1997, 25, 431-433.
- P. M. Preshaw,P. J. Kelly,P. A. Heasman. Quadratic calibration curves for the Periotron 6000. Journal of Periodontal Research 1996, 31(6), 441-443.
- P. M. Preshaw,J. G. Meechan,M. D. Dodd. Self-medication for the control of dental pain: what are our patients taking?. Dental Update 1994, 21(7), 299-301, 304.