Dr Theresa Muñoz
- Email: email@example.com
PhD Scottish LIterature, University of Glasgow
MLitt Creative Writing, University of Glasgow
B.F.A. Creative Writing, University of British Columbia
I am a Research Associate at the Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts. As Overseas Research Scholar and Faculty of Arts Award holder at the University of Glasgow, I completed my PhD dissertation "Alienation in the Work of Tom Leonard'. I am currently working on the Scotnotes volume of The Poetry of Tom Leonard for the Association of Scottish Literary Studies. I have published one book of poems Settle (Vagabond Voices, 2016) which shortlisted for the Melita Hume Poetry Prize. In 2018 I received a Muriel Spark Centenary Award, and have been writing a poetry sequence entitled 'Why We Love You', based on Spark's archive at the National Library of Scotland. Also in 2018 I was awarded a Robert Louis Stevenson Fellowship, where I spent a month as writer-in-residence at the Hotel Chevillon, Grez-sur-Loing, France.
In previous years I was awarded a British Columbia Arts Council Award, the Norman Rothstein Award for Poetry, and a Crichton Foundation Award. My poetry has been broadcast on BBC Scotland and has been published widely in Canada and the United Kingdom, including in Canadian Literature, Poetry Review and Best Scottish Poems. I am also a literary critic for Scotland's The Herald newspaper and the Scottish Review of Books.
ResearchScottish Literature; Psychoanalytic theory; Digital Literature; Minority Women's Writing.
Courses I have taught/guest lectured include:
SEL1000: Introduction to Creative Writing
SEL2216: Poetry, Script and Prose Workshop
MA in Poetry
- Muñoz T. The Poetry of Tom Leonard. Glasgow: Association of Scottish Literary Studies, 2018. In Preparation.
- Muñoz T. Poetic Forms & Existentialism in Tom Leonard's access to the silence: poems and posters 1984-2004. Journal of British and Irish Innovative Poetry 2017, 9(1), 5.
- Muñoz T. Settle. Glasgow, UK: Vagabond Voices, 2016.
- Muñoz T. Becoming a Scot. Scottish Review of Books 2014, 10(2), 4-5.
- Muñoz T. Close. Glenrothes, Fife: Happenstance Press, 2012.
- Muñoz T. New Poetries. Scottish Review of Books 2011, 6(4), p.10-11.
- Muñoz T. Four Poems. Abridged: Babel issue 2017. Abridged, 49.
- Muñoz T. Jackie Kay's Quest For Her Roots. Scottish Review of Books 2012, 6(3), 12-13.
- Muñoz T. 'Scottish Minority Ethnic Women Poets: A Rhetoric of Difference'. Contemporary Women's Writing: Contemporary Scottish Women's Poetry - 21st Century Perspectives 2017. In Preparation.
- Muñoz T. 'Some would say'. The Honest Ulsterman 2017. (11).
- Muñoz T. 'Animals' & 'On Arthur's Seat'. Umbrellas of Edinburgh: Poetry and Prose Inspired by Scotland's Capital City 2016. Freight Books, p. 45 & 216.
- Muñoz T. Friends. The Scotsman 2016. The Scotsman Publications Ltd, 10.
- Muñoz T. June. The Frogmore Papers 2015. Frogmore Papers, 84.
- Muñoz T. Be the first to like this. Best Scottish Poems 2013 2014. Scottish Poetry Library.
- Muñoz T. 'Google Page Twenty'. Scottish Review of Books 2014. 10(4), 6.
- Muñoz T. 'Google Page Twenty', 'Be the first to like this', 'Life in the UK'. Be the First to Like This: Anthology of New Scottish Writing 2014. Glasgow: Vagabond Voices, 136-138.
- Muñoz T. 'Simpson's Dept Store', 'Ashton Lane', 'Vows', 'How' and 'Googling the Other Theresas'. Glasgow Review of Books 2014. Rebecca DeWald and Mark West, Eds. & Pubs.
- Muñoz T. 'Twenty-two'. Under the Radar 2014. (13), 39.