Currently we're running a world-leading trial in electric vehicles and public charging infrastructure in the North East of England. It is informing both on policy, international standards development and its impact on energy demand and environmental emissions.
Recently we've also developed a low-cost wireless sensing technology called Motes. This is being deployed commercially by several local authorities to monitor traffic pollution and help develop strategies to manage the traffic demand and reduce emissions.
This world-leading technology is being assessed for deployment in a number of high profile international cities.
We also provide a wide range of consultancy and commercial services.
Research facilitiesResearch facilities
Our group has access to:
- a driving simulator with eye-tracking system and bio-harness
- an electric vehicle driving lab
- data loggers for measuring vehicle performance
- driving performance/monitoring analysis suite
- fleet of electric vehicles to collect and analyse technical and behavioural factors
- electric vehicles charging posts and ITS infrastructure
We also have:
- a smartcard development platform
- behavioural research facilities including the Virtual Reality suite and Immersive Video platform
- wireless pervasive and environmental sensors (MOTES)
- Newcastle University's integrated database and assessment platform
- a platform for integrated traffic health and emissions modelling
- backpack exposure monitoring system
Other equipment we have includes:
- instrumented corridors (pollution and traffic systems monitoring)
- meteorological conditions monitoring
- portable monitoring equipment (GPS, speed, air pollution, noise)
We are also a Partner of Zero Carbon Futures, with access to their vehicle test track located at the Sunderland Nissan plant. We are host to the Tyne and Wear Urban Traffic Management and Control Centre.