Grounded in both science and engineering, since 1985, the Water Group work to find and improve solutions to make our catchments, coastal zones, cities and infrastructure more productive, safer and sustainable for future generations.
We educate talented students to the highest standards through our postgraduate MSc, MEng, PhD, and EngD programmes. Our students are the next generation of water researchers, policy makers and professionals.
We work with academics, government, industry, and communities around the world to:
- transform practice
- improve quality of life
- help to deliver the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
As founding members of UKCRIC, we host the National Green Infrastructure Laboratory and Demonstrators, and the Newcastle Urban Observatory. In partnership with the Environmental Engineering Group, we belong to the most successful academic water and environment research cluster in the UK.
Developing solutions for water challenges globally
We work around the world to develop solutions for water challenges, across all of our Research Themes.
- Newcastle University Water Research World Map (PDF: 219KB)
- Blue-Green Cities: Demonstrating the multiple benefits of blue-green infrastructure (PDF: 464KB)
- National Green Infrastructure Facility: Pioneering integrated solutions for water infrastructure (PDF: 1.9MB)
- BE:WISE - Biological Engineering: Wastewater Innovation at Scale (PDF: 656KB)
A leaflet is also available showcasing each of the projects: A Local Partnership for Global Innovation(PDF: 519KB).
- Blue-Green Cities and Resilient Infrastructure
- Catchment and Water Management
- Climate Impacts and Adaptation
- Flood Risk Management