- Project Dates: April 2012 - March 2013
- Project Leader: Professor Longbin Tao
- Staff: Dr Alan Murphy
- Sponsors: EPSRC
- Partners: Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
- The project will develop novel ship hull-forms with advanced hydrodynamic characteristic to reduce resistance and maximize efficiency of selected vessel types and to investigate the reduction in fuel usage from global shipping under realistic conditions through simulating ship operations.
- The project will investigate the mechanisms of freak wave generation and the impact of extreme waves on energy infrastructure. In addition to theoretical study, the project team will develop methodology and techniques used for laboratory experiments in freak wave generation and interaction of extreme waves with offshore structures.