Dr Alessio Tei
Lecturer in Maritime Economics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5533
- Address: Newcastle University
School of Engineering
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am currently working at the Newcastle University as Lecturer in Maritime Economics. Previously I worked at the Department of Economics of the University of Genoa as post-doc research fellow and as adjunct professor. I was also enrolled as adjunct professor in Maritime Transport at the Naval Academy of Leghorn.
During my career I was a visiting researcher at the Department of Transport and Regional Economics of University of Antwerp. My scientific research is mainly focused on maritime economics, transport economics and on the effects of transport on the regional development. During my PhD I was part of some consultancy works on transport efficiency and on transport planning.
I am author of several contributions published in academic journals and books, and member of the International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME) and of the World Conference on Transport Research Society (WCTRs).
I've been involved in local organizing committee of the IAME 2013 Conference and I was member of the scientific committee of the Italian Society of Transport and Logistics Economists 2016 Conference.
Concerning other roles, I am currently Section Editor of the official IAME Magazine “The Maritime Economist” and member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Transport Economics.
2009-2012. PhD in Logistics, Transport, and Territory at the Italian Centre of Excellence for Integrated Logistics (CIELI), University of Genoa (Italy)
2006-2008. Master Degree in Maritime and Port Economics and Management at the Department of Economics, University of Genoa (Italy)
2002-2006. Bachelor Degree in Maritime and Transport Economics at the Department of Economics, University of Genoa (Italy)
2015-2016 - Adjunct professor of Regional Economics at the University of Genoa
2014-2016 - Adjunct professor of Maritime Transport at the Naval Academy of Leghorn (Italy)
2012-2016 - Teaching and Research Post doc fellow at the University of Genoa (Italy)
International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME) – since 2010
Port Performance Research Network (PPRN) – since 2011
World Conference on Transport Research Society (WCTRs) – since 2013
Italian Society of Transport and Logistics Economists (SIET) – since 2015
ISSUGE - Institute for Higher Education (University of Genoa), Lecture on "Market Failures and Regulation: The case of the Transport Systems", 1st April 2017, Genoa.
ISSUGE - Institute for Higher Education (University of Genoa), Lecture on "Regulation in Seaports", 26th May 2016, Genoa.
ISEG – School of Economics and Management Conference on "Port Management in different Countries and Logistic Systems", 12th December 2013, Lisbon.
OECD workshop on "Port-cities", 14th September 2012, Paris.
Main PhD supervisor for Miss T. Koukaki (from February 2017)
Co-supervision of Miss G. Liu (from September 2017)
Co-supervision of Mr P. Pise (from September 2017)
During my career I developed several research interests, among which:
Regulation of the transport sector, mainly linked to the maritime industry (i.e. port and shipping regulation)
Impact of (transport) infrastructure on the regional development
Transport and Environment
Maritime and Port logistics
Efficiency of intermodal transport
Public-Private partnerships in the maritime industry
During my career I used many research tools and methods, among which:
Data Envelopment Analysis
Cost Benefit Analysis
Qualitative research methods (e.g. Delphi, Focus groups, Surveys)
Collaborations and external funding
During my career, I had been involved in several research projects and consultancy works, among which:
2017. Understanding Port Efficiency Indicators - international collaboration with University of Genoa (Italy)
2015. ITF/OECD collaboration – “Competition Issues in Liner Shipping”
2015. H2020 European Research Project “RCMS - Rethinking Container Management Solutions”.
2014. OECD collaboration – “Italian Port Organization and future reforms”.
2014. Multimodal transport chains between South Germany industries and North Adriatic ports.
2012. Analysis of the pricing system of the Italian mooring service.
2012. Analysis of the local economic impact of the Cruise activity.
2011. National Logistics Plan: Analysis of the maritime-road combined transport in Italy.
2010. Analysis of the pricing strategies for the Genoa Bulk Terminal.
2009. Evaluation of the lost opportunities' costs for three Genoese container handling societies.
Currently I am member of the Technical Advisory Group on Port Freight Forecasting at the Department for Transport (UK)
MAR8079: Ship Chartering and Operations
MAR8074 (second semester): Shipping Market Analysis and Risk Management
MAR3021: Marine Transport Business
MAR3121: Marine Transport Business (Singapore)
During the first semester 2016-17, I acted as Stream Leader for the Marine Transport Management MSc programme.
I have been regularly invited to different external lectures for both professional and higher education courses.
- Bottasso A, Conti M, Costacurta de Sa Porto P, Ferrari C, Tei A. Port infrastructures and trade: Empirical evidence from Brazil. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2018, 107, 126-139.
- Ferrari C, Puliafito PP, Tei A. Port Terminal Concessions: Towards a Dynamic Concession Fee. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 2018, 52(2), 137-156.
- Ambrosino D, Ferrari C, Sciomachen A, Tei A. Ports, external costs and Northern Italian transport network design: effects for the planned transformation. Maritime Policy and Management 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Ferrari C, Marchese M, Tei A. Shipbuilding and economic cycles: a non-linear econometric approach. Maritime Business Review 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Tei A, Ferrari C. PPIs and transport infrastructure: Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean. Journal of Transport Geography 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Ferrari C, Migliardi A, Tei A. A bootstrap analysis to investigate the economic efficiency of the logistics industry in Italy. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications 2018, 21(1), 20-34.
- Cusano MI, Ferrari C, Tei A. Port hierarchy and concentration: Insights from the Mediterranean cruise market. International Journal of Tourism Research 2017, 19(2), 235-245.
- Ferrari C, Puliafito PP, Tei A. Dynamics in terminal concessions: the role of performances. Maritime Economics & Logistics 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Parola F, Ferrari C, Tei A, Satta G, Musso M. Dealing with multi-scalar embeddedness and institutional divergence: Evidence from the renovation of Italian port governance. Research in Transportation Business & Management 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Cusano MI, Ferrari C, Tei A. Port planning and climate change: Evidence from Italy. In: Ng, AKY; Becker, A; Cahoon, S; Chen, SL; Earl, P; Yang, Z, ed. Climate Change and Adaptation Planning for Ports. London, UK: Routledge, 2016.
- Ambrosino A, Ferrari C, Sciomachen A, Tei A. Intermodal nodes and external costs: Re-thinking the current network organization. Research in Transportation Business & Management 2016, 19, 106-117.
- Ferrari C, Parola F, Tei A. Governance models and port concessions in Europe: Commonalities, critical issues and policy perspectives. Transport Policy 2015, 41, 60-67.
- Ferrari C, Parola F, Tei A. Determinants of slow steaming and implications on service patterns. Maritime Policy & Management 2015, 42(7), 636-652.
- Musso E, Tei A. Transport and Environment: from COP21 Toward a Change of Reference Values. International Journal of Transport Economics 2015, 42(4), 425-430.
- Acciaro M, Bardi A, Cusano MI, Ferrari C, Tei A. Contested port hinterlands: An empirical survey on Adriatic seaports. Case Studies on Transport Policy 2017, 5(2), 342-350.
- Ferrari C, Tei A, Merk O. The Governance and Regulation of Ports - The Case of Italy. ITF - Discussion Paper 2015, (1).
- Bottasso A, Conti M, Ferrari C, Tei A. Ports and Regional development: A spatial analysis on a panel of European regions. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2014, 65, 44-55.
- Bottasso A, Conti M, Ferrari C, Merk O, Tei A. The impact of port throughput on local employment: Evidence from a panel of European regions. TRANSPORT POLICY 2013, 27, 32-38.
- Ferrari C, Puliafito PP, Tei A. Performance and quality indexes in the evaluation of the terminal activity: A dynamic approach. Research in Transportation Business & Management 2013, 8, 77-86.
- Parola F, Tei A, Ferrari C. Managing port concessions: evidence from Italy. MARITIME POLICY AND MANAGEMENT 2012, 39(1), 45-61.
- Ferrari C, Marchese M, Tei A. Shipbuilding and business cycles: a (non‐linear) econometric model of asymmetric transmissions. In: International Association of Maritime Economists Conference 2017. 2017, Kyoto, Japan.
- Ghiara H, Kemme N, Eckert K, Tei A. Terminal container efficiency and handling technologies: a framework study. In: International Association of Maritime Economists Conference 2017. 2017, Kyoto, Japan.
- Ferrari C, Puliafito PP, Tei A. Dynamics in terminal concessions: the role of performances. In: International Association of Maritime Economists 2016. 2016, Hamburg, Germany.
- Ducruet C, Ferrari C, Itoh H, Tei A. Flesh on the bones: the local determinants of interregional shipping flows. In: International Association of Maritime Economists Conference 2016. 2016, Hamburg, Germany.
- Parola F, Ferrari C, Musso E, Satta G, Tei A. Port governance reform and institutional plasticity: insights from the Italian case. In: International Association of Maritime Economists Conference 2016. 2016, Hamburg, Germany.
- Ambrosino D, Ferrari C, Sciomachen A, Tei A. Ports, external costs and transport network design: The case of Northern Italy. In: 14th World Conference on Transport Research. 2016, Shanghai, China.
- Acciaro M, Ferrari C, Lam JS, Macario R, Roumboutsos A, Sys C, Tei A, Vanelslander T. Are the innovation processes in seaport terminal operations successful?. Maritime Policy and Management 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Ng AKY, Zhang H, Afenyo M, Becker A, Cahoon S, Chen S-L, Esteban M, Ferrari C, Lau Y-Y, Lee PT-W, Monios J, Tei A, Yang Z, Acciaro M. Port Decision Maker Perceptions on the Effectiveness of Climate Adaptation Actions. Coastal Management 2018, 46(3), 148-175.
- Ducruet C, Ferrari C, Itoh H, Tei A. The local determinants of interregional shipping flows. In: Ducruet C, ed. Advances in Shipping Data Analysis and Modeling: Tracking and Mapping Maritime Flows in the Age of Big Data. London: Taylor and Francis, 2018, pp.231-250.