Dr Anil Namdeo
Senior Lecturer in Air Quality Management
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8486
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6502
- Address: School of Engineering
Environmental Engineering Research Group
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a Chartered Environmentalist a Chartered Scientist and currently a Senior Lecturer in Air Quality Management at Newcastle University. I have special interest in traffic emissions and air quality. My research also covers the issue of transport and sustainability. My research has also focussed on air quality and health with a special focus on the personal exposure of population to air pollution. I am also involved in research on environmental justice and links between air quality, social deprivation and health. My research bridges the gap between engineering, and medical and social sciences.
I am a visiting professor at the Anna University, Chennai, India.
I have been involved in environmental assessment of many land-use and transport policies and have been involved in developing a platform PITHEM (Platform for Integrated Traffic, Health and Emission Modelling) to facilitate this. PITHEM facilitates modelling and mapping of traffic emissions (CO2, other gaseous pollutants and particles), noise and air quality. I am also involved in research on developing self conserving urban environments (SECURE project) and measuring, modelling, mapping and managing carbon footprint of a city (4M project). Currently I am the principal investigator for joint UK-India project CADTIME (Clean Air for Delhi Through Interventions, Mitigations and Engagement). Am also involved in LC-TRANSFORM project to provide and integrated planning and deployment strategy for multi-purpose low carbon fleets and its enabling infrastructure in UK and Chinese cities.
I have developed software for multi-criteria decision analysis of transport scenarios producing strategic environmental and health assessments. The modelling tools have previously been applied to address sustainability issues associated with local and regional land use and transport policies. I have been actively engaged in international research and has close links with academics and researchers in India, China, USA, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Tanzania.
Roles and Responsibilities
Senior Lecturer in Air Quality Management
Associate Director, Institute for Sustainability
Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv)
Chartered Scientist (CSci)
PhD (Air Pollution Modelling), University of Nottingham
M.Tech. (Env. Sc. & Eng.), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
BA (Additional), Sociology, Nagpur University, India
B.E. (Civil Eng.), Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur, India
Director, Transport Operations Research Group (TORG) 2015-2018
Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies (ITS), University of Leeds (2002-2008)
Research Fellow, Schools of Geography & Environment, University of Leeds (1998-2002)
Research Associate, University of Nottingham (1996-1998)
Scientist, National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, India (1987-1996)
Environmental Engineer, JK Paper Mills, Rayagada, Orissa, India (1986-1987)
Environmental Engineer, Envirotech Consultants, New Delhi, India (1985-1986)
Fellow, Royal Meteorological Society (FRMetS)
Member, Institution of Environmental Sciences (MIEnvS)
Member, Institute for Air Quality Management (MIAQM)
Member, Environmental Protection UK (previously known as NSCA)
Life Member, Institution of Engineers (India)
Life Member, Indian Association for Environmental Management
Hon Secretary, Smart Environment Interest Group of the Intelligent Transport Society (UK) 2005-07
Honours and AwardsCommonwealth Fellowship for PhD at the University of Nottingham (1992-1995)Award of Indian National Merit Scholarship 1978-83
Environmental and health assessment of land use and transport policies
Traffic emission and air quality modelling
Air quality, health and environmental justice
Personal exposure to air pollution (including second-hand smoke)
Carbon footprint of transport and domestic sectors
Multi-criteria assessment of transport schemes
Current and Recently Finished Projects
#. NERC CADTIME (Clean Air for Delhi Through Interventions, Mitigations and Engagement)
The Clean Air for Delhi Through Interventions, Mitigations and Engagement (CADTIME) project aims to understand what is required to deliver significant reductions in levels of air pollution, within the confines of factors which are under our control, through affordable, effective interventions that consider and respond to future changes. CADTIME brings together a consortium of institutions and experts from across both India and the United Kingdom with the goal of addressing air quality issues that affect people's health in Delhi. This goal will be achieved through the development of an Integrated Action Plan (IAP), detailing strategies and potential interventions for mitigating air pollution in both the city, and surrounding region. The IAP will be based on development of a sound understanding of the current contributing factors to air pollution across the domestic, transport, industrial and agricultural sectors, for Delhi, as well as forecasting of how those sectors will change across the short, medium and long terms.
Project leader: Dr Anil NamdeoSponsors: NERC (UK), MRC (UK), MoES (India), DBT (India)Partners: Newcastle University (UK), University of the West of England (UK), Indian Institute of Technology Madras (India), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (India), National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (India)Start/End dates: 30 November 2016 – 29 November 2020
#EPSRC - CORONA: City Observatory Research platfOrm for iNnovation and Analytics (to start 2018)
The UKCRIC programme comprises three strands of activity: research laboratories, modelling and simulation, and an £8m investment in equipment to establish a suite of Urban Observatories (UOs). CORONA will demonstrate how the internationally unique UOs provide new and unprecedented understanding about urban processes, and their interactions, across sectors and scales and therefore how they improve engineering and planning decisions. CORONA will deliver a series of early UKCRIC (UK Collaboratorium for Research on Infrastructure and Cities) research outcomes that are needed to provide the structural framework for both processes (governance, standards, entrepreneurship) and the technological instruments (data standards, technology, integrating quantitative and qualitative urban monitoring data) essential to the UKCRIC UOs.
#. EPSRC LC TRANSFORM (Low Carbon Transitions of Fleet Operations in Metropolitan Sites)
LC TRANSFORMS utilises and shares between the research partners the wealth of data and knowledge already gathered in previous and on-going projects as a foundation on operation, use, carbon reduction potential and best business practice for low carbon fleets.
#. Public Health England and Fresh Smoke Free North East supported research on exposure of children to second-hand smoke in vehicles
This research provided evidence in support of the new Law which has been passed in England and Wales effective from 1st October which bans smoking in vehicles with anyone under 18 present. The research was widely covered in local, regional, national and international media. Here are some of the links to follow the coverage:
Newcastle University Press Release
Daily Mail: http://dailym.ai/1PPnjos
Sky News: http://bit.ly/1FHnxhp
ITV News: http://bit.ly/1KUwxvi
#. EPSRC SUE Project SECURE (SElf Conserving Urban Environments)
The SECURE project addresses the grand challenge of integrating greater conservation and more efficient resource utilisation across scales to meet future urban demands. SECURE is developing a Regional Urbanisation Model that synthesises resource-supply-demand-waste systems from city and local authorities to regional scales via the integration of three themes - Urbanisation (land use and transport), Building and Energy (supply and demand) and Ecosystem Services (the benefits humans receive from ecosystems).
The SECURE project comprises five Work Packages. The first three focus on the main research areas, Urbanisation, Ecosystem Services, and Building and Energy. Work Package 4 addresses the issue of Societal Impact and Professional Engagement, ensuring that stakeholders are fully engaged both in terms of the technical development of the Base Case (2011) and Projection (2016), and public acceptability of longer term Scenarios (2030/2050). Work Package 5, Integration of Policies Across Themes, ensures that the policies identified and developed throughout the course of the project are fully integrated, both in terms of their proposed design and implementation, and their overall impact in meeting the project objectives.
#. UKIERI Project - NAMPSER (Newcastle and Mumbai Partnership on Sustainability and Environment Research)
Collaborators: Newcastle University, UK and IIT Bombay, India
The main aim of this project is to develop collaboration between Newcastle University and IIT Bombay on topics dealing with some of the most challenging issues faced by developed and developing countries alike viz. traffic congestion, air pollution and health. This will involve exchange of academic and research staff and postgraduate students working together to contribute complementary skills to currently on-going projects and to carry out some pilot studies leading to the development of joint research proposals and publications. This will enhance ongoing efforts to strengthen current practice in India/UK involving urban administrative authorities and regulatory agencies for sustained and holistic approach to traffic and air quality management.
#. EPSRC Global SECURE Project
In collaboration with the Peking University and Wuhan University, China.
International engagement to focus on crucial technological challenges which can support substantial energy reductions and a supply of clean, secure energy. To enhance existing UK-China research relationships, build new links with the top universities in China, and strengthen the competitiveness of Higher Education Institutions (HEI) in the UK and China. The project is highly relevant to the UK government’s energy strategy to secure the future energy supply and achieve national targets for greenhouse gas emissions.
#. EPSRC SUE Project 4M (Measurement, Modelling, Mapping and Management
An Evidence-Based Methodology for Understanding and Shrinking the Urban Carbon Footprint). 2008-2012. The 4M project seeks to investigate how much carbon the city produces - and looks at ways it can be cut. It seeks to place calculations of the Carbon Footprint of cities on a secure platform and produce a carbon emissions inventory for the whole city of Leicester. Four topic areas are being studied: building energy, reduction of emissions and pollution from transport, carbon sequestration rates and impact of personal carbon quotas. The project is in partnership with De Montfort, Leicester, Loughborough, Sheffield and Leeds universities.
#. EPSRC SUE Project ReVISIONS (Regional Visions of Integrated Sustainable Infrastructure Optimised for NeighbourhoodS)
2008-2012. ReVISIONS project is in collaboration with Cambridge, Newcastle, Exeter, Leeds universities and Imperial College London. In ReVISIONS, the research will be carried out within an integrated modelling framework to understand how regional 'top down' spatial development policies would affect the size and densities of settlements and identify the most sustainable combinations of infrastructure at different spatial scales and locations. My role in ReVISIONS would be in environmental modelling and overall assessment of various options. Each option will be assessed across a wide range of criteria encompassing the environmental impacts, use of resources, economy, social inclusion, and health.
#. EPSRC SUE Project. SOLUTIONS (Sustainability Of Land Use and Transport In Outer NeighbourhoodS). 2004-2009.
main aim of the SOLUTIONS project was to develop generic guidance to support the planning, design and implementation of sustainable land use and transport strategies in peri-urban areas that experience high pressure for growth. SOLUTIONS was a collaborative project with Cambridge University, University of West England, University of Leeds and University College London. The principal research questions that SOLUTIONS answered was how far, and by what means, can towns and cities be planned so they are socially inclusive, economically efficient and environmentally sustainable. See a key publication on the findings here.
I am currently supervising (main and co-supervision) 9 PhD students. I have supervised five successful PhDs.
Areas of the ongoing PhD projects are listed below:Transport and sustainabilityTraffic emission and air quality modellingAir quality, health and environmental justicePersonal exposure to air pollutionCarbon footprint of road, rail and air transportNoise pollutionActive travel to schoolCycling - personal exposure to air pollution; perception to cyclingAutomated driving for elderly people
Completed ThesesSalem Albalawi, 2016, Daily air pollution levels and asthma, exploring the influence of time-activity patterns on personal exposure in Al Jubail industrial city, Saudi Arabia. [Co-supervision with Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University].
Samuel Ginja, 2016, Development and feasibility of an intervention to promote active travel to school. [Co-supervision with Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Med
Hamat Matar, 2015, Indoor and outdoor exposure to PM10 in properties in the vicinity of urban streets. [Main supervisor]
Matthew Caygill, 2014, Public Attitudes to Long Distance Travel and Perceptions of High Speed Rail. [Co-supervisor]
Chris Emmerson, 2014, Investigating Older Drivers’ Route Guidance Requirements to Inform the Design of Future In-Vehicle Navigation Systems. [Co-supervisor]
Justin Cairns, 2013, Emissions Abatement Technology, Fuels and Low Emissions Vehicles: Win-Win for Air Quality and Climate Change? [Co-supervisor]
Norhayati Yahya , 2013, Assessment of service quality and satisfaction from passengers‟ perspective to inform bus operator’s decision making. [Co-supervisor]
James O’Brien, Modelling the Environmental Justice of the Spatial Distribution of Air Quality. [Main supervisor]
Jamie O’Hare, Developing a modelling framework to quantify the social impacts of walking and cycling which acknowledges their complexity, distribution and overlap. [Co-supervisor]
Saad Almutairi, Investigating Impacts of the Increased Uptake of Electric Vehicles on Air Quality and Health. [Main supervisor]
Shuo Li, Investigating Older Drivers' Requirements to Inform the Future Design of Automated Driving Systems. [Co-supervisor]
Khalid Kordi, Traffic Related Air Pollution and Human Health in Madinah – Saudi Arabia. [Co-supervision with Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University].
Chuleekorn Tanathitikorn, An investigation of associations between climate change and heat related illnesses and heat warning system development in Thailand. [Co-supervision with Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University].
Ayan Chakravartty, An investigation of air pollution and health impacts of clear zones in six UK cities. [Main Supervisor. With Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University].
Abiola Agunbiade, Developing a national appraisal framework for transport projects, for a developing country like Nigeria. [Main supervisor, with Newcastle University Business School]
Visiting Professor, Anna University, India, since 2013.
Member of the US Transport Research Board’s Committee on Transport and Air Quality (ADC20)
Member of the Steering Committee of Institute of Air Quality Management
Coordinator of the Environment and Health Research network affiliated to Newcastle University’s Institute for Sustainability
Co-editor of a special issue of journal RTBM (Research in Transportation Business & Management) on ‘Innovations in Technologies for Sustainable Transport’.
NERC Grant Reviewer since 2006.
EPSRC Grant Reviewer since 2007.
MRC Grant Reviewer since 2012.
External examiner of three PhD theses at the Vishwabharati University, India 2002, 2005 and 2011.
Hon Secretary, Smart Environment Interest Group of the Intelligent Transport Society (UK) 2004-07
Invited as a judge for the ITS (UK) Annual Awards 2008.
Invited guest editor, International Journal of Environment and Waste Management, Special issue, Urban Air Pollution, Volume 9, Number 2.
Reviewer of journal papers
Atmospheric EnvironmentAtmospheric ResearchEIA ReviewEnvirohnment InternationalEnvironmental IndicatorsEnvironmental Modelling and SoftwareEnvironmental Monitoring and AssessmentEnvironmental Planning Part AIndoor AirInstitution of Civil EngineersInternational Journal of Environment and PollutionInternational Journal of Environmental and Waste Management (IJEWM)International Journal of Environmental Engineering (IJEE)International Journal of Geographical Information SciencePublic HealthScience of the Total EnvironmentSpecial issue of World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable DevelopmentWater, Air and Soil Pollutionand many more
Reviewer of conference papers
ITS World Congress
ITS European Congress and Exhibition
Urban Environment and Systems
Funds indicate total project grant.
CEG3004: Sustainable Engineering Systems Design Project (Module Leader since 2014)
CEG3099: Stage 3 Individual Dissertation Projects
Leader of the following MSc modules:
Economic and Environmental Appraisal of Transport Activities (CEG8426)
Traffic and Environment Management for Sustainability (CEG8409)
Air Pollution (CEG8405)
Contribution to the following modules:
CEG8418 Transport Policy and Legislation
CEG8101 Core Concepts in Environmental Engineering
CPD CoursesEconomic and Environmental Appraisal of Transport Activities
Full list of CPD courses in Transport
I was nominated for the Teaching Excellence Award 2013 in the category 'Taught Supervisor of the Year'. Read the citation here.
- Li S, Blythe P, Guo W, Namdeo A. Investigation of older driver’s take-over control performance in highly automated vehicles in adverse weather conditions. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2018. In Press.
- Magitta N, Walker R, Apte Ki, Shimwela M, Mwaiselage J, Sanga A, Namdeo A, Madas S, Salvi S. Prevalence, risk factors and clinical correlates of COPD in a rural setting in Tanzania. European Respiratory Journal 2018, 51(2), 1700182.
- Ginja S, Arnott B, Namdeo A, McColl E. Understanding active school travel through the Behavioural Ecological Model. Health Psychology Review 2018, 12(1), 58-74.
- Ginja S, Arnott B, Araujo-Soares V, Namdeo A, McColl E. Feasibility of an incentive scheme to promote active travel to school: a pilot cluster randomised trial. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2017, 3, 57.
- Mehdi MR, Arsalan MH, Gazder U, Kim M, Seong JC, Namdeo A, Chang S. Who is the bigger culprit? Studying impacts of traffic and land use on noise levels in CBD area of Karachi, Pakistan. Environment, Development and Sustainability 2018, 20(3), 1421-1438.
- Goodman PS, Galatioto F, Thorpe N, Namdeo AK, Davies RJ, Bird RN. Investigating the traffic-related environmental impacts of hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) operations. Environment International 2016, 89-90, 248-260.
- Catalano M, Galatioto F, Bell M, Namdeo A, Bergantino AS. Improving the prediction of air pollution peak episodes generated by urban transport networks. Environmental Science and Policy 2016, 60, 69-83.
- Allinson A, Irvine KN, Edmondson JL, Tiwary A, Hill G, Morris J, Bell M, Davies ZG, Firth SK, Fisher J, Gaston KJ, Leake JR, McHugh N, Namdeo A, Rylatt M, Lomas K. Measurement and analysis of household carbon: the case of a UK city. Applied Energy 2016, 164, 871–881.
- Edwards SJ, Emmerson C, Namdeo A, Blythe PT, Guo W. Optimising Landmark-Based Route Guidance for Older Drivers. Transportation Research F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour 2016, 43, 225-237.
- Tiwary A, Williams ID, Heidrich O, Namdeo A, Bandaru V, Calfapietra C. Development of multi-functional streetscape green infrastructure using a performance index approach. Environmental Pollution 2016, 208(Part A), 209-220.
- Ginjal S, Amott B, Araujo-Soares V, Namdeo A, McColl E. Development and feasibility of an intervention to promote active travel to school. In: The International Society of Behavioral Medicine (ISBM). 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Thorpe N, Namdeo A. Innovations in Technologies for Sustainable Transport. Research in Transportation Business and Management 2016, 18, 1-3.
- Namdeo A, Yadav J, Deshpande A. Belief and plausibility of UK pulmonologists’ on Health Effects due to air pollution: Revisited. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research 2015, 5(12), 346-354.
- Bell M, Sarkar PK, Dissanayake D, Namdeo A. A Methodological Framework to Estimate GHG from Travel Pattern of Tyne & Wear of Newcastle, UK with Various Policy Options using Fuzzy Logic Modal Split Model. International Journal of Engineering Science Invention 2015, 4(10), 1-12.
- O'Brien J, Namdeo A, Bell MC, Goodman P. A congestion sensitive approach to modelling road network for air quality management. International Journal of Environment and Pollution 2014, 54(2/3/4), 213-221.
- Harvey J, Thorpe N, Caygill M, Namdeo A. Public attitudes to and perceptions of high speed rail in the UK. Transport Policy 2014, 36, 70-78.
- Namdeo A, Ballare S, Job H, Namdeo D. Commuter Exposure to Air Pollution in Newcastle, U.K., and Mumbai, India. Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste 2014, Epub ahead of print.
- Namdeo A, Tiwary A, Dziurla R. Spatial planning of public charging points using multi-dimensional analysis of early adopters of electric vehicles for a city region. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2014, 89, 188-200.
- Bell MC, Galatioto F, Chakravartty A, Namdeo A. A novel approach for investigating the trends in nitrogen dioxide levels in UK cities. Environmental Pollution 2013, 183, 184-194.
- Tiwary A, Chatterton T, Namdeo A. Co-managing carbon and air quality: pros and cons of local sustainability initiatives. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 2014, 57(8), 1266-1283.
- Tiwary A, Namdeo A, Fuentes J, Dore A, Hu X, Bell M. Systems scale assessment of the sustainability implications of emerging green initiatives. Environmental Pollution 2013, 183, 213-223.
- Emmerson C, Guo W, Blythe PT, Namdeo A, Edwards S. Fork in the road: In-vehicle navigation systems and older drivers. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour 2013, 21, 173-180.
- Echenique MH, Hargreaves AJ, Mitchell G, Namdeo A. Growing Cities Sustainably: Does Urban Form Really Matter?. Journal of the American Planning Association 2012, 78(2), 121-137.
- Hodgson S, Namdeo A, Araujo-Soares V, Pless-Mulloli T. Towards an interdisciplinary science of transport and health: a case study on school travel. Journal of Transport Geography 2012, 21, 70-79.
- Mitchell G, Hargreaves A, Namdeo A, Echenique M. Land use, transport and carbon futures: The impact of spatial form strategies in three UK urban regions. Environment and Planning A 2011, 43(9), 2143-2163.
- Namdeo A, Tiwary A, Farrow E. Estimation of age-related vulnerability to air pollution: Assessment of respiratory health at local scale. Environment International 2011, 37(5), 829-837.
- Tiwary A, Robins A, Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Air flow and concentration fields at urban road intersections for improved understanding of personal exposure. Environment International 2011, 37(5), 1005-1018.
- Namdeo A, Mitchell G. An empirical study of estimating vehicle emissions under cordon and distance based road user charging in Leeds, UK. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 2008, 136(1-3), 45-51.
- Chen H, Namdeo A, Bell M. Classification of road traffic and roadside pollution concentrations for assessment of personal exposure. Environmental Modelling & Software 2008, 23(3), 282-287.
- Namdeo A, Stringer C. Investigating the relationship between air pollution, health and social deprivation in Leeds, UK. Environment International 2008, 34(5), 585-591.
- Mitchell G, Namdeo A, Milne D. The air quality impact of cordon and distance based road user charging: An empirical study of Leeds, UK. Atmospheric Environment 2005, 39(33), 6231-6242.
- Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Characteristics and health implications of fine and coarse particulates at roadside, urban background and rural sites in UK. Environment International 2004, 31(4), 565-573.
- Namdeo A, Mitchell G, Dixon R. TEMMS: an integrated package for modelling and mapping urban traffic emissions and air quality. Environmental Modelling & Software 2002, 17(2), 179-190.
- Mitchell G, Namdeo A, Kay D. A new disease-burden method for estimating the impact of outdoor air quality on human health. Science of the Total Environment 2000, 246(2-3), 153-163.
- Namdeo A, Baker C, Colls J. Particulate pollution from motor vehicles in an urban street canyon in Nottingham, UK. International Journal of Vehicle Design 1998, 20(1-4), 10-20.
- Namdeo A, Colls J. Development and evaluation of SBLINE, a suite of models for the prediction of pollution concentrations from vehicles in urban areas. Science of the Total Environment 1996, 189-190, 311-320.
- Namdeo AK, Mitchell G, Dixon R, May AD, Kay D. Development and application of TEMMS, a suite of programs for modelling and mapping of urban traffic emissions. In: 92nd Annual Meeting of the Air & Waste Management Association. 1999, St. Louis, MO: AWMA.
- Bell MC, Chakravarttya A, Galatioto F, Namdeo A. Investigating the Underlying Trends in NO2 Levels in UK Cities. In: 45th Universities' Transport Study Group Conference (UTSG 2013). 2013, Oxford, UK.
- Caygill M, Thorpe N, Harvey J, Namdeo A. Public Attitudes and Perceptions Towards High Speed Rail. In: 45th Annual Universities' Transport Study Group Conference (UTSG 2013). 2013, Oxford, UK.
- Tiwary A, Namdeo A, Bell M, Fuentes JD, Hu X, Dore CJ. Implications for air quality in green cities: Case study for urban energy demand in North East England. In: Urban Environmental Pollution Conference - Creating healthy, liveable cities. 2012, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Emmerson C, Guo AW, Blythe PT, Namdeo A, Edwards SJF. In-vehicle navigation systems and older adults. In: 19th ITS World Congress. 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Bell MC, Franco P, Galatioto F, Rhys-Tyler G, Namdeo A, Tiwary A, Goodman P, Namdeo D. SECURE (SElf Conserving URban Environments) project: The route to delivering transport sustainability. In: 1st International Conference on Urban Sustainability and resilience. 2012, London.
- Namdeo A, Tiwary A, Pareira A. Spatial Variation in Personal Exposure of Parking Attendants to Traffic Emissions in an Urban Conurbation. The Open Atmospheric Sciences Journal 2012, 6(s1), 78-83.
- Tiwary A, Namdeo AK, Dore A, Bell MC. Aerosol loading in an urban environment from a biofuel based CHPplant: assessment and mitigation. Procedia Environmental Sciences 2011, 4, 71-75.
- Namdeo A. Atmospheric Pressure. Public Service Review: Local Government and the Regions 2010, (17), 168-170.
- Namdeo AK, Mitchell G, Hargreaves AH. Carbon impacts of land use and transport policies in London and South East Region (LASER) of UK. In: 10th Urban Environment Symposium. 2010, Gothenburg.
- Namdeo AK, Nagendra SMS, Khare M, Bell M, Sohel I, Cairns J. Performance evaluation of air quality dispersion models/codes – a case study in Delhi. In: 10th Urban Environment Symposium. 2010, Gothenburg.
- Tiwary A, Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Secondary aerosol generation potential in an urban environment from a biofuel based decentralised electricity production plant: assessment and mitigation. In: Urban Environmental Pollution. 2010, Boston, USA.
- Namdeo AK, Mitchell G, Hargreaves AH. Traffic emissions and environmental impacts of land use and transport policies in North East England. In: Urban Environmental Pollution. 2010, Boston, USA: Elsevier.
- Namdeo A, Tippins J. Air pollution exposure in an unventilated tunnel in Leeds, UK. In: Rauch, S; Morrison, GM; Monzón, A, ed. Highway and Urban Environment. The Netherlands: Springer, 2009, pp.123-131.
- Bell MC, Galatioto F, Hill G, Namdeo A. Modelling environmental impacts of traffic using a new generation of pervasive sensors. In: 16th World Congress for ITS Systems and Services. 2009, Stockholm, Sweden: Intelligent Transport Systems.
- Namdeo AK, Pareira A. Spatial variation in personal exposure of parking attendants in Leeds to carbon monoxide and ultrafine particles. In: GIS Research UK 17th Annual Conference. 2009, Durham.
- Namdeo AK, Tippins J. Air pollution exposure inside and outside of vehicles in an unventilated urban tunnel. In: 9th Highways and Urban Environment Symposium. 2008, Madrid: Technical University Madrid.
- Namdeo AK. Association between air quality and health in Leeds. Leeds: Leeds Air Quality Group, 2008. Leeds Air Quality Group Meeting.
- Namdeo AK. Traffic and emissions in India. Wolfsburg, Germany: Volkswagen AutoUni, Wolfsburg, 2008. Volkswagen AutoUni Workshop on Mobility and Traffic in India.
- Namdeo AK, Bell M. Modelling Air Quality for Leicester Local Transport Plan (MALL). Leeds: Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, 2007.
- Namdeo AK. Research into the impact of road pricing on vehicle emissions and air quality. Leeds: ITS (UK), 2006. Joint Meeting of Smart Environment Interest Group and Road User Charging Group of ITS (UK).
- Chen H, Namdeo AK, Bell MC. A study of road traffic classifications and roadside pollution concentrations. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Urban Air Quality: Measuring, Monitoring and Modelling. 2005, Valencia, Spain: Hatfield, Hertfordshire.
- Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Air quality modelling of a park and ride scheme in Leicester. In: A&WMA's 98th Annual Conference and Exhibition. 2005, Minneapolis, USA.
- Namdeo AK. Estimation of Emission and Health Impacts of University of Leeds Travel Survey 2004. Leeds: Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, 2005.
- Ashmore MR, Bell MC, Chen H, Dimitroulopoulou S, Namdeo AK, Terry AC. Modelling Human Exposure to Air Pollution in Urban Populations. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Urban Air Quality: Measuring, Monitoring and Modelling. 2005, Valencia, Spain: Hatfield, Hertfordshire.
- Namdeo AK, Mitchell G. Vehicle emissions under cordon and distance based road user charging an empirical study of Leeds, UK. In: Sokhi RS; Millan MM; Moussiopoulos N, ed. Urban Air Quality Monitoring and Modelling. Hatfield: University of Hertfordshire, 2005, pp.65-68.
- Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Air quality at roadside and urban centre locations in Leicester. In: 13th World Clean Air & Environmental Protection Congress & Exhibition. 2004, London, UK.
- Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Air quality modelling of strategic traffic demand modelling strategies. In: 13th World Clean Air & Environmental Protection Congress & Exhibition. 2004, London, UK.
- Namdeo AK, Bell MC. Fine and coarse particulates at roadside, urban background and rural monitoring sites in UK. In: 12th International Conference on Air Pollution. 2004, Rhodes, Greece.
- Bell MC, Namdeo AK, Chen H, Ashmore M, Terry AC, Dimitroulopoulou S. Reducing Urban Pollution Exposure from Road Transport (RUPERT). In: Tenth International Conference on Urban Transport and the Environment in the 21st Century. 2004, Dresden, Germany: WIT Press: Southampton.
- Mitchell G, Namdeo A, May AD, Milne D. The air quality implications of urban road user charging. Traffic Engineering and Control 2003, 44(2), 57-62.
- Mitchell G, Namdeo AK, Lockyer J, May AD. The impact of road pricing and other strategic road transport initiatives on urban air quality. In: Sukharov LJ; Brebbia CA; Benitez F, ed. Urban Transport VIII. Southampton: WIT Press, 2002, pp.481-490.
- Namdeo AK, Colls J, Baker C. Re-suspension and dispersion of fine and coarse particulates in the wake of motor vehicles in an urban street canyon. In: 6th International Highway and Urban Pollution Symposium. 1998, Baveno, Italy.
- Namdeo AK, Baker C, Colls J. Size spectrum of particulate pollution in an urban street canyon. In: 6th International Highway and Urban Pollution Symposium. 1998, Baveno, Italy.
- Colls J, Namdeo AK. A comprehensive model for prediction of urban vehicular pollutant concentrations. In: 5th International Conference on Acidic Deposition - Acid Reign '95. 1995, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Namdeo AK, Colls J. Automobile emission factors for straight roads and signalised intersection-links. In: 1995 East Midlands Region Environmental Conference - Developments in Environmental Management Systems. 1995, Nottingham: Nottingham Trent University.
- Namdeo AK, Colls J. SBLINE, a suite of models for prediction of urban vehicular pollution concentrations: Part I - Development. In: 5th International Highway and Urban Pollution Symposium. 1995, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Namdeo AK, Colls J. SBLINE, a suite of models for prediction of urban vehicular pollution concentrations: Part II - Evaluation. In: 5th International Highway and Urban Pollution Symposium. 1995, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Namdeo AK, Colls J. ROADFAC: a computer program to calculate automobile emission factors for UK roads. In: 3rd International Symposium on Transport and Air Pollution. 1994, Avignon, France.
- Gadkari AS, Namdeo AK. Preparing citizens for environmental management. Indian Journal of Environmental Management 1990, 17, 15-19.
- Namdeo A, Sohel I, Cairns J, Bell MC, Khare M, Nagendra S. Performance evaluation of air quality dispersion models in Delhi, India. In: Rauch, S and Morrison, GM, ed. Urban Environment: Proceedings of the 10th Urban Environment Symposium. Dordrecht: Springer, 2012, pp.121-132.
- Lomas KJ, Bell MC, Firth SK, Gaston KJ, Goodman P, Leake JR, Namdeo A, Rylatt M, Allinson D, Davies ZG, Edmondson J, Galatioto F, Guo L, Hill G, Irvine K, Taylor SC, Tiwary A. The carbon footprint of UK cities : 4M: Measurement, modelling, mapping and management. In: Gossop,C, ed. Sustainable city / developing world. The Hague, Netherlands: ISOCARP, 2010, pp.168-191.
- O'Hare J, Thorpe N, Namdeo A, Bell M. Piloting methods to explore the influence of hard and soft environmental factors on cycling behaviour across social groups. In: 47th Annual UTSG Conference. 2015, City University London.
- Wen P, Goodman P, Namdeo A, Bell MC, Zhao P. Effect of land use planning on transport sustainability. In: 47th Annual UTSG Conference. 2015, City University London, UK.
- Goodman P, Namdeo A, Galatioto F, Bell MC, Foster E, Shield C. Investigation of the emission and air quality impacts of Low Emission Zone (LEZ) scenarios in Newcastle and Gateshead, UK. In: 16th International Conference on Harmonisation within Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling for Regulatory Purposes. 2014, Varna, Bulgaria.
- Goodman P, Namdeo A, Mitchell G. Land-use, transport and vehicle technology futures: An environmental assessment of policy combinations for Cambridgeshire. In: 46th Annual UTSG Conference. 2014, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Thorpe N, Hargreaves AJ, Mitchell G, Namdeo AK, Wright SD, Brake JF, Nelson JD. Spatial Development and the Sustainability of Urban Areas. In: Proceedings of the 14th Hong Kong Society for Transport Studies (HKSTS) International Conference on Transportation and Geography. 2009, Hong Kong: Hong Kong Society for Transport Studies (HKSTS).
- Tanathitikorn C, McNally R, Namdeo A. A time series analysis of associations between climate change and heat-related illnesses and development of heat health warning system in Thailand. In: TSAC2017, 6th Annual Conference. 2017, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Marouf S, Namdeo A, Bell M, Goodman P. Evaluation of Pervasive Wireless Sensors to Monitor and Model Road Traffic Noise. In: 48th Annual UTSG Conference. 2016, Bristol, UK: University of West of England.
- O'Hare J, Thorpe N, Namdeo A, Bell M. Exploring the influence of hard and soft factors on the intention to cycle. In: UTSG 48th Annual Conference. 2016, Bristol: Universities' Transport Study Group.
- Ginja S, Arnott B, Araujo-Soares V, Namdeo A, McColl E. Development of an intervention to promote active school travel. In: 11th UKSBM Annual Scientific Conference. 2015, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Ginja S, Arnott B, Araujo-Soares V, Namdeo A, McColl E. Process evaluation of the RIGHT TRACKS study: a feasibility test of an incentive scheme to promote active travel to school. In: 11th UKSBM Annual Scientific Conference. 2015, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- O'Brien J, Namdeo A, Bell MC. Modelling the Environmental Justice of the spatial distribution of Air Quality. In: 45th UTSG Annual Conference. 2013, Oxford.
- O'Brien J, Namdeo A, Bell MC. Modelling the Environmental Justice of the spatial distribution of Air Quality. In: 45th UTSG Conference. 2013, Oxford.
- O'Brien J, Namdeo A, Bell MC, Sinclair M, Scaife D. An approach to modelling road networks for air quality management. In: 17th JCT Traffic Signal Symposium & Exhibition. 2012, Coventry.
- O'Brien J, Namdeo A, Bell MC. Modelling the Environmental Justice of the spatial distribution of Air Quality. In: 44th UTSG Annual Conference. 2012, Aberdeen.
- Marouf S, Bell M, Goodman P, Namdeo A, Neasham J. Pervasive wireless sensors: A new monitoring tool for road traffic noise evaluation. Applied Acoustics 2018, 135, 48-59.
- Thorpe N, Hargreaves AJ, Mitchell G, Namdeo AK, Wright SD, Brake JF, Nelson JD. Spatial development and the sustainability of urban areas. In: Transportation and Geography: 14th HKSTS International Conference. 2009, Hong Kong, China: Hong Kong Society of Transportation Studies Ltd.
- Namdeo AK, Farrow E. Association between air pollution and hospitalisations for respiratory disease in Leeds. In: Twelfth Annual UK Review Meeting on Outdoor and Indoor Air Pollution Research. 2009, Cranfield.