Dr Jose Portoles
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5114
- Address: NEXUS, School of Engineering
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dr Jose Portoles is a Research Associate for the School of Engineering at Newcastle University. His areas of expertise are surface analysis, optical profilometry, scanning electron and ion microscopies and MEMS.
- Degree in Physics at Universidad de Zaragoza (Spain)
- PhD at the Laboratory of Biophysics and Surface Analysis, School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham
- Portoles JF, Cumpson PJ, Hedley J, Allen S, Williams PM, Tendler SJB. Accurate velocity measurements of AFM-cantilever vibrations by Doppler interferometry. Journal of Experimental Nanoscience 2006, 1(1), 51-62.
- Cumpson PJ, Clifford CA, Portoles JF, Johnstone JE, Munz M. Cantilever Spring-Constant Calibration in Atomic Force Microscopy. In: Bhushan, B; Fuchs, H; Tomitori, M, ed. Applied Scanning Probe Methods VIII. Heidelberg: Springer, 2008, pp.289-314.
- Cumpson PJ, Portoles JF, Sano N. Observations on X-ray enhanced sputter rates in argon cluster ion sputter depth profiling of polymers. Surface and Interface Analysis 2013, 45(2), 601-604.
- Cumpson PJ, Sano N, Fletcher IW, Portoles JF, Bravo-Sanchez M, Barlow AJ. Multivariate analysis of extremely large ToFSIMS imaging datasets by a rapid PCA method. Surface and Interface Analysis 2015, 47(10), 986-993.
- Barlow AJ, Portoles JF, Cumpson PJ. Observed damage during Argon gas cluster depth profiles of compound semiconductors. Journal of Applied Physics 2014, 116(5), 054908.
- Portoles JF, Cumpson PJ. A compact torsional reference device for easy, accurate and traceable AFM piconewton calibration. Nanotechnology 2013, 24(33), 335706.
- Cumpson PJ, Portoles JF, Barlow AJ, Sano N. Accurate argon cluster-ion sputter yields: Measured yields and effect of the sputter threshold in practical depth-profiling by x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and secondary ion mass spectrometry. Journal of Applied Physics 2013, 114, 124313.
- Cumpson PJ, Portoles JF, Barlow AJ, Sano N, Birch M. Depth profiling organic/inorganic interfaces by argon gas cluster ion beams: sputter yield data for biomaterials, in-vitro diagnostic and implant applications. Surface and Interface Analysis 2013, 45(13), 1859-1868.
- Cumpson PJ, Portoles JF, Sano N. Material dependence of argon cluster ion sputter yield in polymers: Method and measurements of relative sputter yields for 19 polymers . Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A 2013, 31(2), 020605.
- Cumpson PJ, Sano N, Barlow AJ, Portoles JF. Stability of Reference Masses VII. Cleaning methods in air and vacuum applied to a platinum mass standard similar to the international and national kilogram prototypes. Metrologia 2013, 50, 532-538.
- Cumpson PJ, Portoles JF, Sano N, Barlow AJ. Stability of reference masses: VI. Mercury and carbonaceous contamination on platinum weights manufactured at a similar time as the international and national prototype kilograms. Metrologia 2013, 50(5), 518-531.
- Cumpson PJ, Portoles JF, Sano N, Barlow AJ. X-ray enhanced sputter rates in argon cluster ion sputter-depth profiling of polymers. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 2013, 31(2), 021208.
- Wilson TA, Barlow AJ, Foster ML, Bravo-Sanchez M, Portoles JF, Sano N, Cumpson PJ, Fletcher IW. In situ ion beam sputter deposition and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) of multiple thin layers under computer control for combinatorial materials synthesis. Surface and Interface Analysis 2017, 49(1), 18-24.
- Barlow AJ, Portoles JF, Sano N, Cumpson PJ. Removing Beam Current Artefacts in Helium Ion Microscopy: A Comparison of Image Processing Techniques. Microscopy and Microanalysis 2016, 22(5), 939-947.
- Murdoch B, Portoles J, Tardio S, Barlow A, Fletcher I, Cumpson P. Visible wavelength surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy from In-InP nanopillars for biomolecule detection. Applied Physics Letters 2016, 109(25), 253105.