- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7206
- Address: Materials Analysis Group (ACMA)
School of Chemical Engineering & Advanced Materials,
Bedson Building, Rm 1.83 or G55,
Newcastle upon Tyne.
I have charge of the powder X-ray diffraction (XRD) laboratory and work with researchers in CEAM and throughout SAgE Faculty, providing analytical support and expertise to a number of ongoing research projects. My background is in geoscience and my research interests are primarily in the fields of mineralogy, analytical geochemistry and method development for the characterisation of both geological sediments and engineering materials. The XRD lab is part of the ACMA Unit which also has an Electron Microscopy Suite with an ESEM and SEMs for both University and commercial use.
In addition to supporting research at Newcastle University, I also provide analytical expertise to other research institutions and to industry. I have collaborated on projects with, or carried out XRD analysis for:
- SKROLL Air Purification Ltd.
- Procter and Gamble
- Metamet Consultants Ltd
- Mineral Insulated Cable Company Ltd (TRM Group)
- IChron Ltd (Geological Consultants)
- MACAW Engineering
- Heraeus Quartz
- URS-Scott Wilson
- NewChem Technologies Ltd
- London South Bank University
- Robert Gordon University (Aberdeen)
- Durham University
- University of Exeter
- University of Sunderland
- Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
XRD is a technique applicable to many physical science disciplines and consequently I am always interested in involving the XRD lab in new projects.
Roles and Responsibilities
I am the local Radiation Protection Supervisor for the School of Engineering XRD lab (Bedson Building) and sit on the University Radiation Protection Committee and the local Bedson Health and Safety Committee.
- Facilities Manager, Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering, Newcastle University UK;
- Research Associate, School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University UK;
- Consultant, Mineral Solutions Ltd., Manchester UK;
- Field Hydrogeologist, URS Corporation (formerly Dames & Moore International), Manchester UK
- Member of the British Crystallographic Association
- Member of Mineralogical Society of GB and Ireland
- Fellow of the Geological Society
Research InterestsAlthough most of my recent research is in the field of environmental geochemistry and clay science, I am very interested in method development for powder diffraction techniques in order to characterise inorganic, composite and geological materials. My work now has a heavy focus on crystallography, which is a discipline applicable to all materials that have some degree of structure.
- Reviewer for Applied Clay Science (Elsevier), 2016-present
- Invited Speaker at Newcastle-Wuhan-Tsinghua University Summer School and Workshop 2009 in China 'Geotechnical & Environmental Engineering: innovation through collaboration’
- Co-convenor of FuturoClays Conference - 2009 Annual Meeting of the UK Mineralogical Society Clay Minerals Group, Newcastle University, 13-16 December 2009
- Research Fellowship from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), June-August 2006
- 'Alternative sorbents in removal of emerging contaminants', Newcastle University Seedcorn Funding (£10K), Co-I (2015)
- Researcher on Cachaça Rock Project (PI Manning, CEGS), in collaboration with MIT and Terrativa Minerals (2012-2013)
- 'Characterisation of landfill deposits', in collaboration with URS Scott Wilson Ltd (£4.4K), PI (2011)
Arnold Beevers Bursary Recipient (£200) for British Crystallographic Association Meeting, 2018
Specialist Technical Training awards (£500 each), Newcastle University, 2010-2012
FP7 Travel/Conference Awards (£600) for AGU Fall Meeting, 2008
Roberts Fund Training Award for JRCUK China Summer School, Wuhan, China, 2009
My PhD research and consulting work in collaboration with the Environment Agency contributed significantly towards the production of a new EA policy guidance document, approving the use of limestone aggregate within UK landfill site drainge systems.
- Davies CW, Davie CT, Edward CA, White ML. Physicochemical and Geotechnical Alterations to MX-80 Bentonite at the Waste Canister Interface in an Engineered Barrier System. Geosciences 2017, 7(3), 69.
- Mohammed SMO, Brandt K, Gray ND, White ML, Manning DAC. Comparison of silicate minerals as sources of potassium for plant nutrition in sandy soil. European Journal of Soil Science 2014, 65(5), 653-662.
- Zegeye A, Yahaya S, Fialips CI, White ML, Gray ND, Manning DAC. Refinement of industrial kaolin by microbial removal of iron-bearing impurities. Applied Clay Science 2013, 86, 47-53.
- Guilbaud R, White ML, Poulton SW. Surface charge and growth of sulphate and carbonate green rust in aqueous media. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 2013, 108, 141-153.
- Sargent P, Hughes PN, Rouainia M, White ML. The use of alkali activated waste binders in enhancing the mechanical properties and durability of soft alluvial soils. Engineering Geology 2013, 152(1), 96-108.
- Zhuang Y-F, Fialips CI, White ML, Perez-Ferrandez D. New redox-active material for permeable water remediation systems. Applied Clay Science 2012, 59-60, 26-35.
- Hughes PN, Glendinning S, Manning DAC, White ML. Use of red gypsum in soil mixing engineering applications. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Geotechnical Engineering 2011, 164(3), 223-234.
- Hughes PN, Glendinning S, Manning DAC, White ML, Dixon M. Alkali-activated waste based binders for use in ground improvement. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics (6ICEG). 2010, New Delhi, India: Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited, New Delhi.
- Fialips CI, Cooper NGA, Jones DM, White ML, Gray ND. Reductive Degradation of p,p'-DDT by Fe(II) in Nontronite NAu-2. Clays and Clay Minerals 2010, 58(6), 821-836.
- Gize AP, White ML, Caldwell S, Edwards M, Speak R. Atypical Calcium Carbonate Precipitates in Narrow-necked Late Helladic Jars: A Potential Indicator of Organic Residues. In: Tzedakis, Y; Martlew, H; Jones MK, ed. Archaeology Meets Science: Biomolecular Investigations in Bronze Age Greece: the primary scientific evidence, 1997-2003. Oxford, UK: Oxbow Books, 2008, pp.163-168.
- Manning DAC, Lopez-Capel E, White ML, Barker S. Carbon isotope determination for separate components of heterogeneous materials using coupled thermogravimetric analysis/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 2008, 22(8), 1187-1195.
- White ML, Fialips CI, Talbot HM. Reductive transformation of nitrobenzene using bio-reduced Fe-clays: progress towards the development of in-situ groundwater remediation technology. Mineralogia - Special Papers 2008, 33, 173.
- Zegeye A, Fialips CI, White M, Manning DAC, Gray N. Refinement of kaolin and silica sand by microbial removal of iron impurities. In: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta: 18th Annual V M Goldschmidt Conference. 2008, Vancouver, Canada: Pergamon.
- White ML, Manning DAC. Landfills as biologically-driven terrestrial carbonate factories. In: Frontiers in Mineral Sciences 2007: a joint Meeting of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland, the Mineralogical Society of America, the Mineralogical Association of Canada and the Société Française de Minéralogie et de Crystallographie. 2007, Cambridge, UK: Mineralogical Society of Great Britain & Ireland.
- Etok S, Valsami-Jones E, Wess T, Hiller J, Maxwell C, Rogers K, Manning DAC, White ML, Lopez-Capel E, Collins M, Buckley M, Penkman K, Woodgate S. Structural and chemical changes of thermally treated bone apatite. Journal of Materials Science 2007, 42(23), 9807-9816.
- Garnett E, Caine M, Bristow I, Manning DAC, White ML, Knox K, Marcouse P, Pointer P, Braithwaite P, Rosevear A. Sulphate bearing waste: progress towards a concentration limit for separate disposal. In: Proceedings of the Waste Conference. 2006, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK.
- White ML, Manning DAC. Use of stable isotopes to distinguish mechanisms of calcite precipitation in response to different landfill operational environments. In: Program and Abstracts of the 19th General Meeting of the International Mineralogical Association: Expansion to Nano, Bio and Planetary Worlds. 2006, Kobe, Japan.
- Garnett L, Knox K, Manning DAC, Bristow I, Caine M, Dunn R, Sallis PJ, White ML. Sulphate Bearing Waste: Determination of a Concentration Limit for Separate Disposal. Netcen on behalf of the Environment Agency, 2005. Netcen (AEA Technology Environment) R&D Reports Netcen (AEA Technology Environment) R&D Report No. P1-516/1.
- White ML, Manning DAC, Robinson PNJR. A review of studies pertinent to the stability of carbonate minerals when in contact with landfill leachate. Environment Agency, 2004. Terraconsult Ltd. and Mineral Solutions Ltd 082/TERRA/MLW/01.
- White ML, Manning DAC, Macquaker JHS. The scaling potential of landfill leachates. In: Proceedings of the Waste 2002 Conference, Integrated Waste Management and Pollution Control: Research, Policy and Practice. 2002, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK.