Dr Paul Goodman
Researcher in Transport and the Environment
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5945
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6502
- Address: School of Engineering
3rd Floor, Devonshire Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I joined the School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences in September 2010 to work on the environmental appraisal of transport options on the UK EPSRC-funded ReVISIONS (www.regionalvisions.ac.uk) project, and the development of a city-wide carbon footprint for Leicester, UK, as part of the SUE 4M project (www.4mfootprint.org). Previously, I have worked on a number of transport and environment related projects, primarily within the fields of acoustics and local air-quality issues, both across the UK and Europe - including work on harmonising standards for enviromental noise assessment in the EU as part of the IMAGINE consortium (https://cordis.europa.eu/result/rcn/47869_en.html).
More recently I've been involved with assessing the perfomance of Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems (C-ITS) as part of the EU-funded COMPASS4D project (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/02/automatedtransport/), looking at the enviromental impacts arising from traffic-related impacts of unconventional hydrocarbon exploitation (i.e. 'Fracking') as part of the M4ShaleGas (http://www.m4shalegas.eu/) and ReFINE (http://www.refine.org.uk/).
Currently I'm working with a UK-Indian consortium on exploring policy intervention options to improve air quality in New Delhi, India, as part of CADTIME (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/engineering/research/civil/transport/projects/cadtime/).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Researcher on the CADTIME (Clean Air for Delhi Through Interventions, Mitigations and Engagement) Project.
- Developer (C ) of the PITHEM and UHTIM models (https://research.ncl.ac.uk/uhtim/).
- Co-Supervision of PhD students - recent topics include: urban air quality and environmental justice, public acceptance of shared-space schemes and the use of pervasive wireless sensors to monitor noise.
- Supervision of masters students - recent topics include the spatial layout of electric vehicle charging facilities, the evaluation of microsimulation models, and the modelling of shared space via agent-based modelling.
Areas of expertise
- Road Traffic and Environmental Pollution (Noise, Air Quality and Greenhouse Gases) Modelling
- Ph.D "Prediction of Road Traffic Noise in Urban Areas", Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, 2001.
- Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, 1998 - 2010.
Honours and Awards
- Joint winner of the 1998 Smeed Prize for best student paper, 30th UTSG Conference, Dublin, Ireland.
Google Scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
Environmental acoustics, Vehicle and transport-related emissions, Local air-quality issues, Carbon footprinting, Cleaner fuelled and electric vehicles.
Lecturer and demonstrator on CEG8405 : 'Air pollution'.
Lecturer and demonstrator on CEG8409 : 'Traffic and Environment Management for Sustainability'.
Lecturer on CEG8418 : 'Transport Policy and Legislation'.
Lecturer on CEG8422 : 'Intelligent Transport Systems'.
Lecturer and demonstrator on CEG8426 : 'Economic and Environmental Appraisal of Transport Activities'.
- Marouf S, Bell M, Goodman P, Namdeo A, Neasham J. Pervasive wireless sensors: A new monitoring tool for road traffic noise evaluation. Applied Acoustics 2018, 135, 48-59.
- Edwards S, Hill G, Goodman P, Blythe P, Mitchell P, Huebner Y. Quantifying the Impact of a Real World Cooperative-ITS Deployment across Multiple Cities. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Goodman PS, Galatioto F, Thorpe N, Namdeo AK, Davies RJ, Bird RN. Investigating the traffic-related environmental impacts of hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) operations. Environment International 2016, 89-90, 248-260.
- Blythe PT, Edwards SJ, Hill GA, Goodman P, King R. Evaluation of an Urban Cooperative Mobility Systems. In: Intelligent Transport Systems European Congress. 2016, Glasgow: ERTICO.
- Marouf S, Namdeo A, Bell M, Goodman P. Evaluation of Pervasive Wireless Sensors to Monitor and Model Road Traffic Noise. In: 48th Annual UTSG Conference. 2016, Bristol, UK: University of West of England.
- Tomlin AS, Ziehn T, Goodman P, Tate JE, Dixon NS. The treatment of uncertainties in reactive pollution dispersion models at urban scales. Faraday Discussions 2016, 189, 567-587.
- Gulliver J, Morley D, Vienneau D, Fabbri F, Bell MC, Goodman P, Beevers S, Dajnak D, Kelly FJ, Fecht D. Development of an open-source road traffic noise model for exposure assessment. Environmental Modelling & Software 2015, 74, 183-193.
- Wen P, Goodman P, Namdeo A, Bell MC, Zhao P. Effect of land use planning on transport sustainability. In: 47th Annual UTSG Conference. 2015, City University London, UK.
- Clarkson J, Thorpe N, Bell M, Goodman P. Examining pedestrian attitudes and behaviour: Implications for the design of shared space. In: 47th Annual UTSG Conference. 2015, London, UK.
- Morley DW, de Hoogh K, Fecht D, Fabbri F, Bell M, Goodman PS, Elliott P, Hodgson S, Hansell AL, Gulliver J. International scale implementation of the CNOSSOS-EU road traffic noise prediction model for epidemiological studies. Environmental Pollution 2015, 206, 332-341.
- O'Brien J, Namdeo A, Bell MC, Goodman P. A congestion sensitive approach to modelling road network for air quality management. International Journal of Environment and Pollution 2014, 54(2/3/4), 213-221.
- Goodman P, Namdeo A, Galatioto F, Bell MC, Foster E, Shield C. Investigation of the emission and air quality impacts of Low Emission Zone (LEZ) scenarios in Newcastle and Gateshead, UK. In: 16th International Conference on Harmonisation within Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling for Regulatory Purposes. 2014, Varna, Bulgaria.
- Goodman P, Namdeo A, Mitchell G. Land-use, transport and vehicle technology futures: An environmental assessment of policy combinations for Cambridgeshire. In: 46th Annual UTSG Conference. 2014, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Clarkson J, Thorpe N, Goodman P, Bell MC, Galatioto F. Modelling the Interactions Between Pedestrians and Vehicles in Shared Spaces. In: 46th Annual UTSG Conference. 2014, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Tiwary A, Namdeo A, Goodman PS, Bell MC. Dispersion modelling for decision making: Combining spatial statistics with model parameterisation. In: 15th International Conference on Harmonisation within Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling for Regulatory Purposes. 2013, Madrid, Spain.
- Namdeo AK, Goodman PS. Platform for Integrated Traffic, Health and Environmental Modelling (PITHEM). In: Better Air Quality Conference. 2012, Hong Kong.
- Bell MC, Franco P, Galatioto F, Rhys-Tyler G, Namdeo A, Tiwary A, Goodman P, Namdeo D. SECURE (SElf Conserving URban Environments) project: The route to delivering transport sustainability. In: 1st International Conference on Urban Sustainability and resilience. 2012, London.
- Tomlin AS, Ziehn T, Goodman P, Tate J, Dixon N. A global sensitivity study of predicted NO2 concentrations in an urban street canyon. In: 13th International Conference on Harmonisation within Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling for Regulatory Purposes. 2010, Paris, France.
- Lomas KJ, Bell MC, Firth SK, Gaston KJ, Goodman P, Leake JR, Namdeo A, Rylatt M, Allinson D, Davies ZG, Edmondson J, Galatioto F, Guo L, Hill G, Irvine K, Taylor SC, Tiwary A. The carbon footprint of UK cities : 4M: Measurement, modelling, mapping and management. In: Gossop,C, ed. Sustainable city / developing world. The Hague, Netherlands: ISOCARP, 2010, pp.168-191.
- Carslaw DC, Goodman PS, Lai FCH, Carsten OMJ. Comprehensive analysis of the carbon impacts of vehicle intelligent speed control. Atmospheric Environment 2010, 44(23), 2674-2680.
- Wright MD, Goodman PS, Cameron TC. Exploring behavioural responses of shorebirds to impulsive noise. Wildfowl 2010, 60, 150-167.
- Ropkins K, Carslaw DC, Goodman PS, Tate JE. Application of non-linear time-alignment and integration methods to environmental time series. Trends in Analytical Chemistry 2009, 28(3), 373-391.
- Zallinger M, Tate J, Hausberger S, Goodman P. Evaluation of a coupled micro-scopic traffic simulator and instantaneous emissions model. In: The 7th International Conference on Air Quality - Science and Application (Air Quality 2009). 2009, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Tate J, Ropkins K, Goodman P, Oates C, Chen H, Bell M, Balogun A, Smalley R, Tomlin AS. The influence of traffic congestion, synoptic and in-street winds on NO2 concentrations around a congested intersection: a measurement study. In: The 7th International Conference on Air Quality - Science and Application (Air Quality 2009). 2009, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Goodman PS, Rhys-Tyler G. Obtaining Air Pollutant and Noise Emissions from the AIMSUN Traffic Micro-simulation Model. In: 6th AIMSUN User Group Meeting. 2008, Capri, Italy.
- Agus EL, Young DT, Lingard JN, Smalley RJ, Tate JE, Goodman PS, Tomlin AS. Factors influencing particle number concentrations, size distributions and modal parameters at a roof-level and roadside site in Leicester, UK. Science of the Total Environment 2007, 386(1-3), 65-82.
- Goodman PS, Bell MC, Skelton P. Understanding the effects of uncertainties in the HARMONOISE road source model. In: Euronoise 2006, The 6th European Conference on Noise Control. 2006, Tampere, Finland.
- Goodman PS, Bell MC, Skelton P, Gray P. Use of remote sensing data in noise mapping – A case study for Leicester, UK. In: The 13th International Congress on Sound and Vibration. 2006, Vienna, Austria: ICSV.
- Wilmink I, Goodman PS, Bell MC, Versteegt E. The role of ITS in noise mapping and noise action planning. In: 5th European Congress and Exhibition on ITS. 2005, Hannover, Germany.
- Boddy JWD, Smalley RJ, Goodman PS, Tate JE, Bell MC, Tomlin AS. The spatial variability in concentrations of a traffic-related pollutant in two street canyons in York, UK—Part II: The influence of traffic characteristics. Atmospheric Environment 2005, 39(17), 3163-3176.
- Goodman PS, Bell MC, Hodges NJM. The AVTUNE Noise Model. In: Eleventh International Symposium on Transport and Air Pollution. 2002, Graz, Austria.
- Bell MC, Goodman PG, Tate JE. Analysis of Roadside Pollution Monitoring (RPM) Data in Belfast. Belfast City Council, Area Traffic Control Centre, 2000. Confidential Report prepared for Belfast City Council.
- DeVito L, Chatterton T, Namdeo A, Nagendra S, Gulia S, Goyal S, Bell M, Goodman P, Longhurst J, Hayes E, Kumar R, Sethi V, Sengupta B, Ramadurai G, Majmuder S, Menon J, Turamari MN, Barnes J. Air pollution in Delhi: A review of past and current policy approaches. In: 26th International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air Pollution. 2018, Naples, Italy.