Dr Amy Guo Guo
Lecturer in Intelligent Transport Systems
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8202
- Address: Future Mobility Group
School of Engineering
Cassie Building (Room 2.18)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Amy's area of research covers ITS for Ageing Mobility, Driver Behaviour, Intelligent Vehicles and Low Carbon Transport. She is particularly interested in monitoring and assessing driver behaviour, testing and evaluating the effectiveness of technologies in improving road safety of all road users and understanding the barriers delaying the shift to electromobility. She uses both traditional and innovative research methods including direct (lab and field) observation, immersive video simulation and role play, and other survey means such as focus groups, interviews and questionnaires to ensure that the research is theoretically informed and empirically rigorous.
Areas of expertise
- Ageing mobility
- Driver behaviour
- Intelligent vehicles
- Low carbon transport
- PhD in Evaluation of Future Traveller Information Systems
- MSc in Transport Engineering and Operations, Distinction
- BEng in Railway Transportation Management, Distinction
- Member, IET Automotive & Road Transport Systems (ARTS) Network Executive Team
- Member, UTSG Executive Committee
- Member, Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET)
- Member, Intelligent Transport Systems UK (ITS UK)
- Monitoring and assessing driving performance and visual search behaviour
- Human Factors of in-vehicle systems
- Accidents and driver visual search behaviour
- Young driver training
- Driver Distraction
- Traveller information systems
- ICT and HMI
- Driving safety
- Technology Engagement
- Barrier to EV uptake
- Rapid Charge Network
- Low carbon transport in metropolitan sites
CHAUVET (Capturing Hazard Awareness and Level Assignment through Eye Tracking) Project (Principal Investigator)
OTTE (Older Travellers and Technology Engagement) Project (Principal Investigator). Final Report
Instrumented Traveller (Principal Investigator)
LC TRANSFORMS (Co-Investigator)
PhD: Shuo Li, Investigating the requirements for older divers to inform the future design of automated driving systems’.
MPhil: Weijia Chen, Role of sentiment analysis with twitter data in improving the understanding of passenger satisfaction (Graduated in 2016).
PhD: Christopher Emmerson, Older Drivers' Route Guidance Requirements (Graduated in 2015).
PhD: Claudia Pinna, Evaluation of the Driving Ability in Elderly People (Graduated in 2015).
Invited speaker at the Government Office for Science (GO-Science) Policy workshop on Future of Mobility - exploring social and demographic issues and key trends in mobility, at Centre for Science and Policy, University of Cambridge. 22 Feb. 2017. A report of the workshop is available here.
Reviewer of the journal of Transport Reviews, Transportmetrica A, IEEE Transactions on ITS, European Transport Research Review, Sensors, IET ITS, IET Journal of Engineering, and Civil Engineering and Architecture.
Reviewer for the ITS World Congress and ITS European Congress since 2012.
Invited research grants evaluator for the Research Council of Norway (January) and for Israel Ministry of Science, Technology and Space (August), 2015
Invited transport expert to the UK parliament's Transport Select Committee to provide professional views on ageing mobility, March 2014, London UK.
Invited specialist lecturer of Intelligent Transport and Older Drivers at Explore, a lifelong learning
programme based in Newcastle, November 2015.
Winner of the RCUK's Telling Tales of Engagement Competition (£10k) 2013.
Invited speaker for the IBEC (International Benefits Evaluation and Costs) Special Interest Session
at the 20th ITS World Congress, 14-18 October 2013, Tokyo, Japan.
Best Scientific Paper Award at the 19th ITS World Congress, 22-26 October 2012, Vienna, Austria.
Invited speaker at the Rural Digital Economy Seminar on "Older Driver Study" on 6th June 2012 at University of Aberdeen.
Invited speaker at the 6th Advanced Forum on Transportation in China, 15 October 2010, Beijing, China.
Invited speaker at Technology Strategy Board's Informed Personal Travel Workshop, The future will be different, London, 8 July 2008,
Awarded the Second Prize in the Department for Transport’s ITS Vision Competition, Testing Future Traveller Information Systems, 2006.
Winner of the Mott MacDonald University Challenge on 5th Moving On Conference in Glasgow, UK. 7 – 9 March 2006.
Awarded the Best Poster in the theme of the Human and Information Environment, Postgraduate Research Conference 2004, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. 25th June 2004.
Winner of the Michael Trowyer-Foyan Prize, a prize for the best overall student on a Transportation MSc programme: academic year 2002/2003
CEG8422 Intelligent Transport Systems.
CEG8414 Electromobility and Low Carbon Vehicles
CEG8415 ITS Technologies, Systems and Implementation
Visiting Lecturer at School of Transportation, Southeast University, China
- Li S, Blythe P, Guo W, Namdeo A. Investigation of older driver’s take-over control performance in highly automated vehicles in adverse weather conditions. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2018. In Press.
- Guo W. Can electric bikes empower future mobility solutions?. In: International Cycling Conference. 2017, Mannheim, Germany: Umwelt Bundesamt.
- Guo W, Harvey J, Edwards S. Older Travellers and Technology Engagement. Transport Systems Catapult, 2017.
- Ji Y-J, Gao L-P, Chen X-S, Guo W-H. Strategies for multi-step-ahead available parking spaces forecasting based on wavelet transform. Journal of Central South University 2017, 24(6), 1503-1512.
- Edwards SJ, Emmerson C, Namdeo A, Blythe PT, Guo W. Optimising Landmark-Based Route Guidance for Older Drivers. Transportation Research F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour 2016, 43, 225-237.
- Ji Y, Hu B, Hill G, Guo W, Blythe PT, Gao L. Signal coordination scheme based on traffic emission. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2016, 10(2), 89-96.
- Guo W, Hill G, Harvey J. Tracking and identifying areas of stress in rail commuter journeys through eye-tracking and data fusion. In: 5th International Conference on Transport and Health. 2016, San Jose, California, USA: Elsevier.
- Neaimeh M, Hill GA, Guo W, Wardle J, Bramich A, Blythe PT. Understanding the role of a rapid charging infrastructure on urban and interurban mobility patterns. In: Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS29). 2016, Montréal, Québec, Canada.
- Ji Y, Fu P, Blythe PT, Guo A. An examination of the factors that influence drivers’ willingness to use the parking guidance information. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 2015, 1-10.
- Guo W, Blythe PT, Edwards SF, Pavkova K, Brennan D. Effect of Intelligent Speed Adaptation Technology on Older Drivers' Driving Performance. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2015, 9(3), 343-350.
- Evans GD, Guo W, Blythe PT, Burden M. Integrated Smartcard Solutions: Do People Want One Card For All Their Services?. Transportation Planning and Technology 2015, 38(5), 534-551.
- Wardle J, Bramich A, Neaimeh M, Serradilla J, Pinna C, Hill G, Guo W, Blythe PT. Rapid Charge Network: breaking down the barriers to longer distance electric driving. In: European Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Congress (EEVC-2015). 2015, Brussels, Belgium: Electric-City.mobi.
- Ji Y, Tang D, Blythe PT, Guo W, Wang W. Short-term forecasting of available parking space using wavelet neural network model. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2015, 9(2), 202-209.
- Guo W, Pinna C, Serradilla J, Blythe PT. Visual attention at signalised junctions: a comparison between older drivers and expert drivers. In: Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress. 2015, Bordeaux, France.
- Ji Y, Tang D, Guo W, Blythe PT, Wang W. Forecasting available parking space with largest Lyapunov exponents method. Journal of Central South University 2014, 21(4), 1624-1632.
- Garcia-Constantino M, Missier P, Blythe PT, Guo W. Measuring the impact of cognitive distractions on driving performance using time series analysis. In: 17th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. 2014, QingDao, China: IEEE.
- Ji YJ, Guo W, Blythe PT, Tang D, Wang W. Understanding drivers’ perspective on parking guidance information. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2014, 8(4), 398-406.
- Guo W, Brennan D, Blythe PT. Detecting older driver's stress level during real-world driving tasks. In: International Conference on Applied Psychology and Behavioral Sciences. 2013, Paris, France: World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology.
- Ji Y, Tang D, Guo W, Blythe PT, Ren G. Detection of Outliers in a Time Series of Available Parking Spaces. Mathematical Problems in Engineering 2013, 2013, 416267.
- Emmerson C, Guo W, Blythe PT, Namdeo A, Edwards S. Fork in the road: In-vehicle navigation systems and older drivers. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour 2013, 21, 173-180.
- Guo W, Blythe PT, Brennan D, Pavkova K. Stay Active, Stay Safe: Drivers' Perceptions of Intelligent Speed Adaptation Systems. In: 20th ITS World Congress. 2013, Tokyo, Japan.
- Harvey J, Thorpe N, Guo A. Young Driver Training: A Critical Review of the Literature. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2013.
- Ji YJ, Guo AW, Blythe PT, Wang W, Deng W. Design the parking guidance information for the drivers. In: 19th ITS World Congress. 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Guo AW, Brennan D, Edwards SJF, Blythe PT, Emmerson C. Driving on: Using in vehicle systems to help older people stay on the road. In: 19th ITS World Congress. 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Guo AW, Brennan D, Pavkova K, Blythe PT. Intelligent Speed Control Technology for Older Drivers. In: Road Traffic Information and Control (RTIC). 2012, London: The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- Emmerson C, Guo AW, Blythe PT, Namdeo A, Edwards SJF. In-vehicle navigation systems and older adults. In: 19th ITS World Congress. 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Emmerson C, Guo AW, Blythe PT, Nandeo A, Edwards SJF. In-vehicle navigation: The Perspective of Older Drivers. In: UTSG Annual Conference. 2012, Aberdeen, UK.
- Guo AW, Edwards SJF, Evans GD. Elderly drivers: Opinions from behind the wheel. In: The 6th Advanced Forum on Transportation in China. 2010, Beijing, China: IET.
- Evans GD, Edwards SJF, Guo AW. Guidelines for Implementers of Financing and Implementing Traffic Management Centres. Brussels, Belgium: niches, 2010. NICHES+.
- Evans GD, Edwards SJF, Guo AW. NICHES+: Guidelines for Implementers of Financing and Implementing Traffic Management Centres. Brussels, Belgium: niches, 2010. NICHES+ Guidelines for Implementers.
- Edwards SJF, Guo AW, Evans GD. NICHES+: Guidelines for Implementers of Mobile Travel Information Services for the Public. Brussels, Belgium: niches, 2010. NICHES+ Guidelines for Implementers.
- Edwards SJF, Evans GD, Guo AW. NICHES+: Guidelines for Implementers of Using Environmental Pollution Data in Traffic Management Centres. Brussels, Belgium: niches, 2010. NICHES+ Guidelines for Implementers.
- Edwards SJF, Guo AW, Brake JF. Safe Driving for Older People: How In-Vehicle Technology can keep people on the Road. In: RAatE Conference. 2010, Warwick, UK.
- Guo AW, Brake JF, Edwards S, Blythe PT, Fairchild RG. The application of in-vehicle systems for elderly drivers. European Transport Research Review 2010, 2(3), 165-174.
- Guo AW, Edwards SJF, Blythe PT. The study of elderly drivers. In: Digital Futures 2010: Digital Economy All Hands Meeting. 2010, Nottingham, UK: University of Nottingham.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT, Olivier P, Singh P, Ha HN. An Evaluation of Future Traveller Information System and Its Effectiveness in Demand Management Schemes. In: Saleh, W; Sammer, G, ed. Travel Demand Management and Road User Pricing: Success, Failure and Feasibility. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2009, pp.109-134.
- Guo AW, Blythe P, Olivier P, Singh P, Nam Ha H. Using immersive video to evaluate future traveller information systems. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2008, 2(1), 38-46.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT. How do we know what they want?. In: 6th Moving On Conference. 2007, Cardiff, UK.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT, Olivier P, Singh P, Ha HN. Using Immersive Video to Evaluate Future Traveller Information Systems. In: 14th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems and Services. 2007, Beijing.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT. Future Traveller Information Systems and Travel Behaviour. In: 5th Moving On Conference. 2006, Glasgow, UK.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT, Olivier P, Singh P, Ha HN, Jackson DG, James P. Future Traveller Information Systems: Impacts on Modal Shift. In: ASK IT Conference. 2006, Nice, France.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT. Intelligent Personalised Traveller Information: Impacts on the Choice of Travel Mode. In: 13th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems and Services. 2006, London.
- Guo AW, Blythe PT. Intelligent Personalised Traveller Information: Impacts on the Choice of Travel Mode. In: Proceedings of the 12th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems and Services. 2005, San Francisco, USA.
- Edwards S, Blythe PT, Scott S, Guo AW. Tourist Information Delivered Through Mobile Devices: Findings from the Image Project. Information Technology & Tourism 2005, 8(1), 31-46.