Dr Wenxian Yang
Lecturer in Offshore Renewable Energy
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6171
- Address: School of Engineering
Office 1.55, Armstrong Building
Universty of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr Wenxian Yang received his PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering from Xi’an Jiaotong University in 1999. Then he did research in the City University of Hong Kong (2001-2002), Nottingham Trent University (2002-2004), Cranfield University (2004-2007), the University of Durham (2007-2009), and the UK Offshore Renewable Energy CATAPULT Centre (2009-2013). He joined Newcastle University in May 2013. With the expertise in machine condition monitoring, fault diagnosis, signal processing, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence, system reliability analysis and reliability design, Dr Yang has been consistently striving to use advanced condition monitoring and reliability analysis techniques to help the enterprises to increase economic benefits by lowering the downtime and operation & maintenance costs of their production equipment. The kinds of equipment being dealt with span the air and CO2 compressors used in chemical plants and oil refinery factories, steam turbines used in coal fire power plants, aircraft engines of Rolls-Royce, diesel engines used in military tanks, gearboxes and pumps in water plant, to wind turbines in onshore and offshore wind farms. Dr Yang's research and consultation services are also extended to the non-destructive testing and evaluation of large complex structures, such as the structural health monitoring of bridges, railways, as well as the in-situ assessment of the assembly quality of twin tubes that carry high pressure poisonous gases and fluids. So far, he has hold 3 American patents for online testing the twin tube assembly quality. Dr Yang's excellent research is widely appreciated by the international academics and industrialists. For example, in 2017, his research on the ageing issues of wind turbine components and assemblies was identified by Renewable Energy Global Innovation as a key contribution to the excellence in renewable and clean energy research (web-link: https://reginnovations.org/wind-energy/ageing-assessment-wind-turbine-interpreting-wind-farm-scada-data). Currently, Dr Yang also shows high interest in researching bio-sensors, anti-corrosion and anti-fouling methods/materials, the design and development of various resilience techniques, as well as floating structure stabilizing techniques to help the marine and offshore companies to reduce risks and increase the economic return of their investments.
Google Scholar Profile - Dr Wenxian Yang
ORCID Profile - 0000-0002-1122-2990
Scopus Profile - 55501062800
(1) Editorial Board
- Associate Editor: IET Renewable Power Generation
- Editorial Board member: Journal of Power and Energy Engineering
- Editorial Board member:The Scientific World Journal
- Editorial Board member: International Journal of Renewable Energy and Engineering
- Editorial Board member: Global Journal of Engineering & Technology Review
- Editorial Board member: Journal of Current Alternative Energy
- Editorial Board member: Journal of Environmental Research
- Review Editor: Frontier in Mechanical Engineering, Computer-Aided and Digital Manufacturing Technologies
- Guest Editor of Special Issue on Wind turbine condition monitoring, IET Renewable Power Generation
(2) External Examiner of PhD Thesis
- Anna University, India - 2014, 2016
- University of Strathclyde, UK - 2016
- Warwick University, UK - 2017
- University of Sheffield, UK - 2017
(3) National and International Funding Evaluator
- EPSRC, UK
- Portugal FCT funding Scheme, Portugal
- China National Natural Science Foundation, China
- Flander Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Belgium
- Research Grant Council, Hong Kong, China
(4) Conference Organizer and Invited speaker
- Keynotes speaker, 5th Annual Congress on Climate Change, August 24-25, Birmingham, UK, 2017
- Keynotes speaker, the 7th Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC2015), April 12-14, Beijing, China, 2015
- Invited speaker, The Institute for Sustainability Annual Conference, Newcastle, UK, November 2015
- Organizing Committee member, World Congress on Mechanical, Metallurgy and Material Science, March 28-29, Milan, Italy, 2019
- Technical Committee member, 2018 International Conference on Power, Energy and Electrical Engineering (CPEEE 2018), March 30 - April 1, Tokyo, Japan, 2018
- Technical Programme Committee, the 7th International Conference on Renewable Power Generation, 26-27 September, Lyngby, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2018
- Technical Advisory Panel, Offshore Renewable Energy CORE 2018, Sept 10-12, Glasgow, UK, 2018
- Technical Program Committee, The 10th Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC 2018), April 20 to 22, Guilin, China, 2018
- Technical Committee member, The 6th International Conference on Geological and Environmental Science (ICGES2017), August 20-22, Kitakyushu, Japan, 2017
- Technical Committee member, 2017 International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Energy Engineering (EI2E 2017), Oct 19-22, Shanghai, China, 2017
- Technical Committee member, The 9th Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC 2017), April 15-17, Chengdu, China, 2017
- Board member of the 3rd International Symposium on Ocean Science and Technology, Nov 28, 2017, Qingdao, China
- Board member of the 2nd International Symposium of Ocean Science and Technology, Oct 10, 2016, Weihai, China
- Technical Advisory Panel, The 2nd International Conference on Offshore Renewable Energy, September 12-14, Glasgow, UK, 2016
- Technical Committee member, The 5th International Conference on Power Science and Engineering (ICPSE'2016), Dec 14-17, Venice, Italy, 2016.
- Program Committee member, The 11th International Conference on Reliability, Maintainability and Safety, Oct 26-28, Hangzhou, China, 2016
- Technical Committee member, 2016 Prognostics and System Health Management Conference (PHM 2016), Oct 19-21, Chengdu, China, 2016
- Committee member of the 7th Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC2015), April 12-14, Beijing, China, 2015
(5) Journal Reviewer
- Renewable Energy
- Wind Energy
- Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications
- IET Renewable Power Generation
- European Transactions on Electrical Power
- ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering
- Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing
- Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Journal of Natural Energies
- The Scientific World Journal
- Journal of Power and Energy Engineering
- International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems
- Journal of Vibration Engineering & Technologies
- CEng, 2010
- PhD, 1999
- MEng, 1995
- BEng, 1992
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Recognition Reference Number PR138200), 2017
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Recognition Reference Number PR087959), 2015
- IEEE Reliability Society
Student and Post Doctoral Fellow Recruitment
Dr Yang is keen to recruit talented PhD students with an education background in maths, mechanical/electrical engineering, marine and offshore engineering, non-destructive testing & evaluation, signal processing, image processing, facility operation and maintenance, reliability design, and condition monitoring. If you are interested in any of these areas and would like to apply for PhD study at Newcastle University, you are welcome to contact Dr Yang for further discussion. But if you have a PhD in these areas and are interested in joining my research group, I am happy to discuss and assist with the applications for post doctoral fellowships of EPSRC, Royal Society and Newton International.
Funding Since 2013
1. Royal Academy of Engineering, Newton Research Collaboration programme (2015.1 - 2015 .12): "Research on an efficient and reliable biomimetic blade dedicated for tidal turbines" - PI
2. Innovate UK Knowledge Transfer project (2014.3-2017.3): "Condition monitoring techniques dedicated for wind turbine drive-train and DC-link capacitor" - PI
3. Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult project (2014.10 - 2015.10): "Research on innovative signal processing techniques dedicated to wind turbine condition monitoring" - PI
4. Institute for Sustainability Responsive Mode Directed Call project (2015.2 - 2016.4): "Concept design of a motion-stable foundation dedicated for offshore wind turbines" - PI
5. International Collaboration Project with Shanghai Jiaotong University (2015.1 - 2016.12): "Research on a few key techniques in wind turbine condition monitoring" - PI
6. Croatian Science Foundation (2017.7-2020.6): "Wind and sea loads on energy structures" - PI
7. Daphne Jackson Fellowship project (2014.6-2016.6): "Minimising risks to offshore wind turbines using multi-body theoretical research" - PI
8. Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) for MSA R&D Programme (2016.2-2019.2): "Intelligent software tool for independent airborne and structure-borne noise modelling and prediction in crew accommodation quarter" - Co-I
9. EPSRC Funding EP/R021503/1 (2017.10-2021.3): "ISCF Wave 1: North East Centre for Energy Materials" - Co-I
- Research on fairing system for drag reduction on risers
- Theoretical research on the loadings applied to offshore wind turbine structures with the consideration of uncertainties
- Cliff-mounted wave energy converter using linear generator
- Theoretical research on the reliability of seabed cable joint with offshore wind turbine
- Theoretical analysis of scouring effect on the mono-pile foundations of offshore wind turbines
- Design a motion-stable floating foundation for offshore wind turbines
- Identification of cracks in airfoil blades of an offshore wind turbine
- Research on wave load uncertainties and their impact on wave power prediction
- Innovative techniques for stabilizing crew transfer vessels of offshore wind farm
- Innovative biomimetic concept of tidal turbine blades
- Structural integrity monitoring of mooring chains using thermography detection
- Research on a motion-stable floating platform applicable to shallow water
- European FP7 Project: Demonstration of methods and tools for the optimisation of operational reliability of large-scale industrial wind turbines (OPTIMUS)
- Pilot Project of CATAPULT Offshore Renewable Energy Centre: Upgrading performance and reliability of offshore renewable assets (UPRORA) - Performance & Reliability
- TSB KTP Project: Condition monitoring of wind turbine power electronics
- DECC ETF2 Programme: Mitsubishi total reliability approach during design and manufacture
- EPSRC Supergen Wind Energy Technologies
- China National Natural Science Foundation: Research on the condition monitoring techniques and strategies for wind turbines
- China National Natural Science Foundation: Intelligent data-mining technology for the condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of the machinery with complex structures
Dr Pu Shi, Research Associate, based at ORE-CATAPULT Blyth Centre (2014.6 - 2017.5)
Dr Juchuan Dai, Visiting Researcher (2016.4 - 2017.3)
Dr Yulan Cheng, Visiting Researcher (2016.12 - present)
Dr Qin Liu, Visiting Researcher (2017.5 - 2018.4)
Dr Huanguo Chen, Visiting Researcher (2016.12 - 2017.9)
Prof Dazheng Wang, Visiting academic staff from Harbin Institute of technology (2015.1 - 2015.6)
Dr Mei Lei, Visiting academic staff from Harbin Institute of technology (2015.6 - 2015.9)
Mr Martin Nuernberg, PhD student (2014 - 2017)
Mr Yerasimos Yerasimou, PhD student (2015 - present)
Mr Pierre-Adrien Opinel, PhD student (2016 - present)
Mr Sajin Saju, Mphil student (2016 - present)
Mr Joel Chiew, Mphil student (2016 - present)
MAR3041: Offshore engineering (Module leader)
MAR8068: Advanced hydrodynamics (Module leader)
MAR8268: Advanced hydrodynamics - Singapore Campus (Module leader)
MAR8066: Marine condition monitoring (Module leader)
MAR8052: Dynamics of subsea installations
SPG8026: Renewable energy: Marine energy structures and devices
MAR8045: Fundamentals of subsea engineering
MAR8011: Dynamics of offshore installations
- Yang W, Wei K, Peng Z, Hu W. Advanced health condition monitoring of wind turbine. In: Hu W, ed. Advanced wind turbine technology. India: Springer International Publishing, 2018, pp.1-29.
- Yang W, Wei K. Condition monitoring mooring chains using thermography technique. In: 1st International Conference on Health Monitoring of Civil & Maritime Structures. 2018, Croydon, London, UK: ASRANet.
- Yang W, Wei K, Peng Z. Integrity detection of mooring chains by the approach of thermography. In: European Safety & Reliability Conference 2018. 2018, Trondheim, Norway: Taylor & Francis Group, London.
- Yang W, Alexandridis T, Tian W. Numerical research of the effect of surface biomimetic features on the efficiency of tidal turbine blades. Energies 2018, 11(4), 1014.
- Dai J, Yang W, Cao J, Liu D, Long X. Ageing assessment of a wind turbine over time by interpreting wind farm SCADA data. Renewable Energy 2017, 116(Part B), 199-208.
- Shi P, Yang W, Sheng M, Wang M. An Enhanced Empirical Wavelet Transform and Its contribution to Features Extraction from Wind Turbine Condition Monitoring Signals. Energies 2017, 10(7), 972.
- Yang W. Bivariate Empirical Mode Decomposition and Its Applications in Machine Condition Monitoring. In: Structural Health Monitoring - An Advanced Signal Processing Perspective. India: Springer, 2017, pp.293-319.
- Yan R, Chen X, Yang W, Kusiak A. Guest editorial. IET Renewable Power Generation 2017, 11(4), 373-373.
- Dai J, Tan Y, Yang W, Wen L, Shen X. Investigation of wind resource characteristics in mountain wind farm using multiple-unit SCADA data in Chenzhou: A case study. Energy Conversion and Management 2017, 148, 378-393.
- Chin CS, Ji X, Woo WL, Kwee TJ, Yang WX. Modified Multiple Generalized Regression Neural Network Models using Fuzzy C-Means with Principal Component Analysis for Noise Prediction of Offshore Platform. Neural Computing and Applications 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Xiao J, Peng Z, Tian X, Yang W. Numerical simulations on the dynamic characteristics of a shallow-draft spar-type floating wind turbine. Journal of Ship Mechanics 2017. In Press.
- Wen B, Wei S, Wei K, Yang W, Peng Z, Chu F. Power fluctuation and power loss of wind turbines due to wind shear and tower shadow. Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering 2017, 12(3), 321-332.
- Shi P, Yang W. Precise feature extraction from wind turbine condition monitoring signals by using optimised variational mode decomposition. IET Renewable Power Generation 2017, 11(3), 245-252.
- Yang W, Peng Z, Wei K, Tian W. Structural Health Monitoring of Composite Wind Turbine Blades: Challenges, Issues and Potential Solutions. IET Renewable Power Generation 2017, 11(2), 411-416.
- Yang W, Peng Z, Wei K, Shi P, Tian W. Superiorities of Variational Mode Decomposition over Empirical Mode Decomposition Particularly in Time-frequency Feature Extraction and Wind Turbine Condition Monitoring. IET Renewable Power Generation 2017, 11(4), 443-452.
- Shi P, Yang W, McKeever P, Tian W, Lee H, Ng C. An improved empirical wavelet transform study based on wind turbine condition monitoring signals. In: 13th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, CM 2016/MFPT 2016. 2016, Paris, France: British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing.
- Yang W. Condition Monitoring of Offshore Wind Turbines. In: Ng, C; Ran, L, ed. Offshore Wind Farms: Technologies, Design and Operation. Cambridge: Elsevier, 2016, pp.543-572.
- Shi W, Rosli R, Atlar M, Norman R, Wang D, Yang W. Hydrodynamic performance evaluation of a tidal turbine with leading-edge tubercles. Ocean Engineering 2016, 117, 246-253.
- Deng Y, Cheng CM, Yang Y, Peng ZK, Yang W, Zhang WM. Parametric Identification of Nonlinear Vibration Systems via Polynomial Chirplet Transform. ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 2016, 138(5), 051014.
- Yang W, Lang Z, Tian W. Condition Monitoring and Damage Location of Wind Turbine Blades by Frequency Response Transmissibility Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2015, 62(10), 6558-6564.
- Shi W, Rosli R, Atlar M, Norman R, Wang D, Yang W. Hydrodynamic Performance of a Biomimetically Improved Tidal turbine Blade. In: The 4th International Conference on Advanced Model Measurement Technology for the Maritime Industry (AMT’15). 2015, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Shi P, Yang Wenxian, McKeever P, Tian W, Ng C, Lee H. Online condition monitoring wind turbine by the approach of local empirical mode decomposition. In: European Wind Energy Association & Exhibition Annual Event (EWEA 2015). 2015, Paris, France: European Wind Energy Association.
- Tian W, Yang W, Lang Z, Tao L, Ng C, McKeever P. Research on a new technique dedicated for condition monitoring long wind turbine blades. In: EWEA Offshore 2015. 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark: EWEA.
- Yang W, Tian SW. Research on a power quality monitoring technique for individual wind turbines. Renewable Energy 2015, 75, 187-198.
- Zhang L, Lang Z, Yang W-X. Transmissibility damage indicator for wind turbine blade condition monitoring. In: 2015 21st International Conference on Automation and Computing: Automation, Computing and Manufacturing for New Economic Growth, ICAC 2015. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Zhang L, Lang ZQ, Yang WX. Transmissibility Damage Indicator for Wind Turbine Blade Condition Monitoring. In: 2015 21ST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AUTOMATION AND COMPUTING (ICAC). 2015, 345 E 47TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10017 USA: IEEE.
- Yang W, Tavner P, Tian W. Wind Turbine Condition Monitoring based on an Improved Spline-Kernelled Chirplet Transform. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2015, 62(10), 6565-6574.
- Yang W, Tian W, Peng Z. Wind turbine condition monitoring by detecting the transient period of a single generator stator current signal. In: IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC). 2015, Pisa, Italy: IEEE.
- Shi P, Yang Wenxian, McKeever P, Ng C, Lee H. Wind turbine drive train condition monitoring and fault classification based on improved BP Neural network. In: EWEA Offshore 2015. 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark: EWEA.
- Yang W. Condition Monitoring the Drive Train of a Direct Drive Permanent Magnet Wind Turbine Using Generator Electrical Signals. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 2014, 136(2), 021008.
- Yang W, Little C, Tavner PJ, Court R. Data-driven technique for interpreting wind turbine condition monitoring signals. IET Renewable Power Generation 2014, 8(2), 151-159.
- Qiu Y, Sun J, Cao M, Wang H, Feng Y, Yang W, Infield D. Model based wind turbine gearbox fault detection on SCADA data. In: IET Renewable Power Generation Conference 2014. 2014, Ramada Naples, Italy: IET.
- Qiu Y, Sun J, Cao M, Wang H, Feng Y, Yang W, Infield D. Model based wind turbine gearbox fault detection on SCADA Data. In: 3rd Renewable Power Generation Conference (RPG 2014). 2014, Naples, Italy: IET.
- Yang W, Ng C, Mckeever P. Reliable wind turbine condition monitoring with the aid of a non-dimensional criterion. In: CM2014/MFPT2014. 2014, Manchester, UK: The British Institute of Non-destructive Testing (BINDT).
- Yang W, Ng CH, McKeever P. Reliable wind turbine condition monitoring with the aid of a non-dimensional criterion. In: 11th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, CM 2014 / MFPT 2014. 2014, Manchester, UK: British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing.
- Yang Wenxian, Christian L, Richard C. S-Transform and its contribution to wind turbine condition monitoring. Renewable Energy 2014, 62, 137-146.
- Feng Y, Li J, Qiu Y, Yang W, Infield D. Study on order analysis for condition monitoring wind turbine gearbox. In: IET Renewable Power Generation Conference 2014. 2014, Ramada Naples, Italy: IET.
- Feng Y, Li J, Qiu Y, Yang W, Infield D. Study on order analysis for condition monitoring wind turbine gearbox. In: 3rd Renewable Power Generation Conference (RPG 2014). 2014, Naples, Italy: IET.
- Yang W, Tavner P, Crabtree C, Feng Y, Qiu Y. Wind turbine condition monitoring: technical and commercial challenges. Wind Energy 2014, 17(5), 673-693.
- Qiu Y, Xu Y, Li J, Feng Y, Yang W, Infield D. Wind turbulence impacts to onshore and offshore wind turbines gearbox fatigue life. In: IET Renewable Power Generation Conference 2014. 2014, Ramada Naples, Italy: Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Yang W, Tavner P, Court R. An online technique for condition monitoring the induction generators used in wind and marine turbines. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2013, 38(1), 103-112.
- Yang W, Court R. Experimental study on the optimum time for conducting bearing maintenance. Measurement 2013, 46(8), 2781-2791.
- Yang W, Sheng S, Court R. Operational-Condition-Independent Criteria Dedicated to Monitoring Wind Turbine Generators. International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management 2013, 4(Special Issue Wind Turbine PHM), 1-8.
- Yang Wenxian. Testing and condition monitoring of composite wind turbine blades. In: Attaf, B, ed. Recent Advances in Composite Materials for Wind Turbines Blades. Hong Kong: World Academic Publishing, 2013, pp.147-169.
- Yang W, Ng C, Jiang J. Wind Turbine Condition and Power Quality Monitoring by the Approach of Fast Individual Harmonic Extraction. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 2013, 135(3), 034504.
- Yang W, Court R, Jiang JS. Wind turbine condition monitoring by the approach of SCADA data analysis. Renewable Energy 2013, 53, 365-376.
- Yang W, Tavner P, Sheng S, Court R. Information Entropy: An efficient approach for wind turbine condition monitoring. In: European Wind Energy Association Annual Event (EWEA). 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Yang W, Jiang J. Machine condition monitoring by a novel fractal analysis. Advanced Materials Research 2012, 452-453, 1434-1440.
- Yang W, Sheng S, Court R. Operational-condition-independent criteria dedicated to monitoring wind turbine generators. USA: National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2012. NREL report of the U.S. Department of Energy, USA.
- Yang W, Court R, Jiang J. Research on a novel online condition monitoring technique for induction machinery. In: 6th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD). 2012, Bristol, UK: IET.
- Yang W, Court R, Tavner P, Crabtree C. Bivariate empirical mode decomposition and its contribution to wind turbine condition monitoring. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2011, 330(15), 3766-3782.
- Yang W, Jiang J. Condition monitoring of nonlinear rotating machinery by the approach of bivariate mode decomposition. In: 3rd International Conference on Hilbert Transform: Theory and Applications. 2011, Qindao, China.
- Yang Wenxian, Ng C, Jiang J. Fast individual harmonic extraction: An efficient tool for wind turbine condition monitoring. In: International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS 2011). 2011, Beijing, China: IEEE.
- Yang Wenxian, Jiang JS. Wind turbine condition monitoring and reliability analysis by SCADA information. In: IEEE Second International Conference on Mechanic Automation and Control Engineering (MACE 2011). 2011, Hohhot, China: IEEE.
- Watson SJ, Xiang BJ, Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Crabtree C. Condition monitoring of the power output of wind turbine generators using wavelets. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 2010, 25(3), 715-721.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Crabtree C, Wilkinson M. Cost-Effective Condition Monitoring for Wind Turbines. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2010, 57(1), 263-271.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Crabtree C. An intelligent approach to the condition monitoring of large scale wind turbines. In: EWEC2009. 2009, Marsille, France.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Wilkinson M. Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of a wind turbine synchronous generator drive train. IET Renewable Power Generation 2009, 3(1), 1-11.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P. Empirical Mode Decomposition, an Adaptive Approach for Interpreting Shaft Vibratory Signals of Large Rotating Machinery. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2009, 321(3-5), 1144-1170.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Wilkinson M. Condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of a wind turbine with a synchronous generator using wavelet transforms. In: 4th IET Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2008). 2008, York, UK: IET.
- Yang Wenxian. Interpretation of mechanical signals using an improved Hilbert-Huang transform. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2008, 22(5), 1061-1071.
- Yang Wenxian, Jiang J, Tavner P, Crabtree C. Monitoring wind turbine condition by the approach of Empirical Mode Decomposition. In: International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS 2008). 2008, Wuhan, China: IEEE.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Crabtree C, Wilkinson M. Research on a simple, cheap but globally effective condition monitoring technique for wind turbines. In: 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM 2008). 2008, Vilamoura, Portugal.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P, Wilkinson M. Wind Turbine Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis Using both Mechanical and Electrical Signatures. In: IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM 2008). 2008, Xi'an, China: IEEE/ASME.
- Yang Wenxian, Tavner P. Wind Turbine Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis using Wavelet Transforms. In: 4th PhD Seminar on Wind Energy in Europe. 2008, Magdeburg, Germany: The European Academy of Wind Energy.
- Yang Wenxian. A natural way for improving the accuracy of the continuous wavelet transforms. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2007, 306(3-5), 928-939.
- Yang Wenxian, Hull JB, Seymour MD. Detecting the singularities in engineering signals. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 2006, 175(1-3), 439–445.
- Yang Wenxian. Establishment of the mathematical model for diagnosing the engine valve faults by genetic programming. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2006, 293(1-2), 213–226.
- Yang Wenxian, Tse PW. An Advanced Strategy for Detecting Impulses in Mechanical Signals. ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 2005, 127(3), 280-284.
- Yang W, Hull JB, Seymour MD. A contribution to the applicability of complex wavelet analysis of ultrasonic signals. NDT & E International 2004, 37(6), 497-504.
- Yang W. An improved genetic algorithm adopting immigration operator. Intelligent Data Analysis 2004, 8(4), 385-401.
- Yang W, Ren XM. Detecting Impulses in Mechanical Signals by Wavelets. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2004, 8, 946162.
- Tse PW, Yang W, Tam HY. Machine fault diagnosis through an effective exact wavelet analysis. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2004, 277(4-5), 1005-1024.
- Yang W, Hull JB, Seymour MD. Detecting the singularities in engineering signals. In: 12th International Scientific Conference, Achievements in Mechanical & Materials Engineering. 2003, Gliwice-Zakopane, Poland: Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Yang W, Tse P. Development of an advanced noise reduction method for vibration analysis based on singular value decomposition. NDT & E International 2003, 36(6), 419-432.
- Yang W. Vibration-based diagnosis of engine valve faults. INSIGHT - Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring 2003, 45(8), 547-553.
- Tse P, Yang W. A new wavelet transform for eliminating problems usually occurring in conventional wavelet transform used for fault diagnosis. In: 9th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV'9). 2002, Orlando, USA.
- Tse P, Yang W. Occurring in conventional wavelet transform used for fault diagnosis. In: 9th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV'9). 2002, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Tse P, Yang W. Shortcoming of wavelet transforms in machine fault diagnosis and the proposed solution. In: 3rd Asia Pacific Conference on System Integrity and Maintenance. 2002, Cairns, Australia.
- Tse P, Yang W. The practical use of wavelet transforms and their limitations in machine fault diagnosis. In: International Symposium on Machine Condition Monitoring and Diagnosis. 2002, Tokyo, Japan.
- Yang W, Qu L, Jiang J. Study of the diagnostic features of a rotor with a transverse crack. INSIGHT - Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring 2001, 43(8), 537-545.
- Yang Wenxian, Ren XM, Jiang JS. Survey on a few factors influencing the transient vibration behaviour of rotors. INSIGHT-Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring (The Journal of the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing) 2000, 42(8), 520-524.