Dr Yilin Gui
Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 2088938
- Address: School of Engineering,
Room 2.05, Drummond Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
Dr Yilin Gui joined the Geotechnical and Structure group (GEST) in the School of Engineering in 2017. His research interests are focused on rock and soil mechanics, computational and constitutive modelling of geomaterials and Geoenvironmental Engineering and other related areas. A PhD studentship is available as the links below:
Research Fellow in Nanyang Technological University
Research Fellow in Monash University.
Member of Singapore Society for Rock Mechanics and Engineering Geology
Member of International Society for Rock Mechanics
Member of The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
Member of International Association for Engineering Geology and the Environment
Awards and Honours
Scientific Editor of Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
Member of EPSRC Peer Review Associate College
Scientific Committee member of 10th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium
Invited speech at China State Key Laboratory of Geohazard Prevention and Geoenvironment Protection, Chengdu, China, Dec, 2017
Winner of Singapore Society for Rock Mechanics and Engineering Geology (SRMEG) Outstanding Paper Award, March, 2016.
Invited speech at China State Key Laboratory of Deep Geomechanics and Underground Engineering, Xuzhou, China, May, 2016
Keynote speech at 7th Victoria Chinese PhD and Young Scholars Research Symposium at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, November, 2013
Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (SPRINGER), Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment (SPRINGER), Engineering Structures (ELSEVIER), Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology (ELSEVIER), International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences (ELSEVIER), Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ELSEVIER), Geomechanics and Engineering (TECHNO PRESS), Geothermics (ELSEVIER), Materials (MDPI), Energies (MDPI), Sustanability (MDPI), Geotechnique (ICE), Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (ASCE)
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
Dr Gui accepts PhD candidates who wish to conduct research in Geotechnical Engineering at Newcastle University.
2017/2018 academic year
CEG1201 Geotechnical Properties of Soils and Rocks (Lecturer)
CEG2201 Geotechnics (Module leader)
CEG8099 Investigative Research Project (project supervisor)
CEG8296 MSc Project and Dissertation in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology (project supervisor)
- Julong Shang, Yilin Gui, Zhiye Zhao. Broad-spectrum fracture toughness of an anisotropic sandstone under mixed-mode loading. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Ma S, Zhao Z, Peng J, Gui Y. Analytical modeling of shear behaviors of rockbolts perpendicular to joints. Construction and Building Materials 2018, 175, 286-295.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Jayasinghe LB, Zhou HY, Goh ATC, Tao M. Blast wave induced spatial variation of ground vibration considering field geological conditions. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 2018, 101, 63-68.
- Shang J, Duan K, Gui Y, Handley K, Zhao Z. Numerical investigation of the direct tensile behaviour of laminated and transversely isotropic rocks containing incipient bedding planes with different strengths. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Zhou HY, Goh ATC, Jayasinghe LB. Numerical Simulation of Rock Blasting Induced Free Field Vibration. Procedia Engineering 2017, 191, 451-457.
- Zhang C, Ji J, Kodikara J, Gui YL. Evaluation of the performance of a breakage model for high porosity Haubourdin chalk. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, 90, 113-119.
- Gui YL, Hu W, Zhao ZY, Zhu X. Numerical modelling of a field soil desiccation test using a cohesive fracture model with Voronoi tessellations. Acta Geotechnica 2017, 1-16.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Zhang C, Ma SQ. Numerical investigation of the opening effect on the mechanical behaviours in rocks under uniaxial loading using hybrid continuum-discrete element method. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, 90, 55-72.
- Ji J, Zhang CS, Gui YL, Lü Q, Kodikara J. New Observations on the Application of LS-SVM in Slope System Reliability Analysis. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 2017, 31(2).
- Jayasinghe LB, Zhou HY, Goh ATC, Zhao ZY, Gui YL. Pile response subjected to rock blasting induced ground vibration near soil-rock interface. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, 82, 1-15.
- Ma SQ, Zhao ZY, Nie W, Gui YL. A numerical model of fully grouted bolts considering the tri-linear shear bond–slip model. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 2016, 54, 73-80.
- Zhang CS, Ji J, Gui YL, Kodikara J, Yang SQ, He L. Evaluation of soil-concrete interface shear strength based on LS-SVM. Geomechanics and Engineering 2016, 11(3), 361-372.
- Gui YL, Bui HH, Kodikara J, Zhang QB, Zhao J, Rabczuk T. Modelling the dynamic failure of brittle rocks using a hybrid continuum-discrete element method with a mixed-mode cohesive fracture model. International Journal of Impact Engineering 2016, 87, 146-155.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY. Numerical investigation on the effect of fracture filling material on P-wave propagation. In: Rock Dynamics: From Research to Engineering: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Rock Dynamics and Applications. 2016, Suzhou, China: CRC Press.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Kodikara J, Bui HH, Yang SQ. Numerical modelling of laboratory soil desiccation cracking using UDEC with a mix-mode cohesive fracture model. Engineering Geology 2016, 202, 14-23.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Zhou HY, Wu W. Numerical Simulation of P-Wave Propagation in Rock Mass with Granular Material-Filled Fractures Using Hybrid Continuum-Discrete Element Method. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2016, 49(10), 4049–4060.
- Yang SQ, Ju Y, Gao F, Gui YL. Strength, Deformability and X-ray Micro-CT Observations of Deeply Buried Marble Under Different Confining Pressures. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2016, 49(11), 4227–4244.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Ji J, Wang XM, Zhou KP, Ma SQ. The grain effect of intact rock modelling using discrete element method with Voronoi grains. Géotechnique Letters 2016, 6(2), 136-143.
- Gui Y, Bui HH, Kodikara J. An application of a cohesive fracture model combining compression, tension and shear in soft rocks. Computers and Geotechnics 2015, 66, 142-157.
- Yang SQ, Ranjith PG, Huang YH, Yin PF, Jing HW, Gui YL, Yu QL. Experimental investigation on mechanical damage characteristics of sandstone under triaxial cyclic loading. Geophysical Journal International 2015, 201(2), 662-682.
- Yang SQ, Ranjith PG, Gui YL. Experimental study of mechanical behavior and X-ray micro CT observation of sandstone under conventional triaxial compression. Geotechnical Testing Journal 2015, 38(2), 179-197.
- Gui Y, Zhao GF. Modelling of laboratory soil desiccation cracking using DLSM with a two-phase bond model. Computers and Geotechnics 2015, 69, 578-587.
- Gui YL, Bui HH, Kodikara J. Numerical modelling of sandstone uniaxial compression test using a mix-mode cohesive fracture model. In: 8th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics, ACAM 2014, as Part of Engineers Australia Convention 2014. 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Gui Y, Zhao G, Khalili N. Numerical investigation of desiccation cracking in fine-grained soil using a lattice spring model. In: 6th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils UNSAT2014. 2014, Sydney, Australia.
- Gui Y, Zhao G, Khalili N. Experimental and numerical modelling of sandstone bending using modified three-point test. In: Rock Dynamics and Application: State of Art. 2013.
- Gui YL, Zhao GF, Khalili N. Experimental investigation of desiccation of clayey soils. In: From Materials to Structures: Advancement through Innovation. 2012.