Dr Tina Gharavi
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media/Film
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3520
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8708
- Personal Website: www.bridgeandtunnelproductions.com
- Address: Room 2.21, Percy Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Gharavi is a BAFTA-nominated award-winning filmmaker/screenwriter. Her work has been broadcast internationally (ITV, Channel 4 (UK), Showtime (US) and selected for the Sundance Festival) and she is noted for documentary, fiction and cross-platform interactive work as well as using innovative techniques to bring untold stories of marginalised people and subjects to a mainstream audience and to empower those who can, to tell their own stories.
Unafraid to take risks and cross genres, Gharavi’s work is set apart by it’s attention to detail and storytelling perspective and process. She has made endearing, inimitably voiced films from unique perspectives on subjects as diverse as Muhammad Ali, teenage sexuality, Yemeni-British sailors, The Lackawanna 6, death row exonerees, refugees to lighthouses. Her debut feature, I Am Nasrine, a coming of age story of two teenage Iranian refugees in the North of England was nominated for a BAFTA in 2013. It's patron Sir Ben Kingsley called it “a life enhancing film, an important and much needed film” while Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gave the film 4 stars and called it "A valuable debut, shot with a fluent kind of poetry." Deborah Ross write in the Spectator, “it’s not what I would call An Earnestly Grim Wrist Slitter. Instead, it is affectionate, humane, tender and, ultimately, optimistic. So stir yourself…”
She was awarded a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship (USA), a Cultural Leadership Fellowship (Hong Kong), and a Fellowship at Open Documentary Lab at MIT in Boston from 2014-15 and is an elected BAFTA academy member. Recently, Gharavi completed a TV directing role on Sky/Kudos high end TV show, The Tunnel, and directed a further episode for a Channel 4 drama series.
Gharavi is currently in development on a further two feature fiction films, one with Film4 and BFI, and a documentary film about the race and "othering" currently near completion stages. In her spare time, Gharavi dreams of being a beekeeper in Iran.
Gharavi is represented as a director by Roxana Adle at Independent Talent Group.
FILMOGRAPHY (IMDB): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1314401/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Documentary & Fiction Film Production, Screenwriting, Community Media & Interactive Digital Storytelling.
Supervises students in practice-based research including screenwriting, adaptation, interactive narrative, documentary and poetry and censorship in Iran
Esteem IndicatorsBAFTA Academy Member MIT Open Documentary Lab FellowBIFA & BAFTA Jury
Board of Trustees:BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art (current)Tyneside CinemaBritish Refugee CouncilRegional Council, Arts Council North East
British Film Institute, Film Four, Arts Council England, British Council, Film Council UK, Heritage Lottery Fund, Baring Foundation, Northern Rock Foundation, New Writing North, Big Lottery Fund, Catherine Cookson Fund, British Council for Research in the Levant.
20 years experience as writer/producer/director.
Creative lead at Bridge Tunnel, an award-winning media production company based in the North East of England and France.
Film, media, documentary, narrative, filmmaking, cinema, installation art, screenwriting, storytelling, post-colonialism, race, othering
Selection of course:
SEL3346 Contemporary Documentary 1: Theory and Practice Module Leader View
SEL3347 Contemporary Documentary 2: Theory & Practice Module Leader View
SEL3324 The Cultural Industries (Semester 1) Module Leader View
SEL3325 The Cultural Industries (Semester 2) Module Leader View
SEL8061 Personal Documentary Practice Module Leader View
SEL8062 Self-Reflexive Documentary Film Module Leader View
FMS8353 Screenwriting Module Leader View
SEL8640 The Profession of Writing Lecturer View
- Gharavi T. Digital X-Roads: Raising Critical Awareness Around Social Justice Through Participatory Filmmaking & Digital Storytelling Tools. 2019. In Preparation.
- Gharavi Tina. I Am Other: 1,000,000 Pixels for Change. 2018. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. The Good Iranian (Feature Length Screenplay). 2018. In Preparation.
- Gharavi Tina. The King & I. 2018. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. Tribalism is Killing Us: Documentary Film. Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2018. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. Lifelines: Digital Storytelling Across Cultures (website, workshops and teaching resource). Bridge + Tunnel Voices, 2017.
- Gharavi T. People Like Us. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2016. DVD.
- Gharavi T. I Am Nasrine. UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2012. DVD.
- Gharavi T. Last of the Dictionary Men: A Documentary Film. Newcastle, UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2008. DVD, Digital Video.
- Gharavi T. Last of the Dictionary Men: Stories From the South Shields Yemeni Sailors. A hybrid-project with several component parts: touring exhibition and museum installation (first shown 2008) plus catalogue (2013). 2008. UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions.
- Gharavi T. The King Of South Shields. UK: Arts Council England, 2008. DVD (Digital Video).
- Gharavi T. i-Kooch – Interactive Web Narrative Project. UK: Nomad Cultural Forum, 2006.
- Gharavi T. Bread: Palestine/Israel (A documentary Installation). UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2005.
- Gharavi T. Featherhead. UK: UK Film Council, Northern Film & Media, Superkrush, Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2005.
- Gharavi T. A Town Like Lackawanna. USA/UK: Hallwalls Media Institute, 2004. DVD (Digital Video, 25’).
- Gharavi T. Mother/Country. UK: Frameline, 2002. DVD (Digital Video, 25').
- Gharavi T. Closer. UK/FR: Women Make Movies, 2001. DVD (35mm film).