Student Support

As a postgraduate student there may be times when you need help, advice and support. This could be for academic, financial or other personal reasons.

Here are some suggestions of where you might go to find this:

If you would like to talk to someone outside your School:

  • Faculty Postgraduate Tutor Dr Alison Tyson-Capper - Contact Alison by telephone on ext 87156 or e-mail , or via internal mail.
  • Graduate School Office - Barbara Sumner is the Graduate School Administrator in the Faculty. Her office is on the ground floor, Catherine Cookson Building, Medical School. Barbara will be able to advise on queries relating to your studies, funding or welfare and to point you in the direction of other sources of help if necessary. Telephone ext 5034 or e-mail
  • Dean of Postgraduate Studies - Professor John Kirby He should be informed of any major difficulties likely to affect your progress. Telephone ext 87057 or e-mail may also be contacted via the Graduate School Office.
  • Or if you would rather talk to a fellow student than staff member each Institute, the MRes and DClin Psych programme have Student Representatives who are friendly and approachable individuals happy to have informal chats and discuss issues/concerns that may arise during your studies.

Maternity/Paternity Leave for Postgraduate Research Students

Postgraduate research students are entitled to up to 52 weeks maternity leave. For further details please see the Faculty of Medical Sciences policy for maternity/paternity leave for postgraduate research students.

Other Sources of Support

Counselling and Wellbeing Service

A free and confidential service for students. This is situated in King's Gate. For further information and contact details please see website.

Student Advice Centre

During your time at Newcastle University you may find that not everything runs smoothly and so you may need to seek help to sort out your concerns. The Student Advice Centre is located on the first floor of the Union Building near to SCAN (Student Community Action Newcastle), directly opposite the lift.  The Union Building is on Kings Walk. You can make an appointment to see someone by telephoning ext 6367 or 1079 or (0191) 239 3979 from outside the University, or e-mail or simply 'drop in'. For further information and opening hours see Student Advice Centre.

Disability & Dyslexia

Disability Support offers advice, guidance and support for students with disabilities and specific learning difficulties (dyslexia). Disability Support has a dyslexia adviser, a co-ordinator for deaf students and a technical support adviser. There are technical resources with specialist equipment for the use of students and for assessment purposes.

Disability Support also provides advice and guidance to all university staff to promote effective disability awareness and support for students. The government provides funds for disabled students through the disabled student's allowance to assist students who, because of their disability, incur extra costs. Advice and help on all aspects of claiming disabled student's allowance can be obtained from Disability Support.

Further information on provision for students with disabilities can be found on the University's Disability Support website.

The Careers Service

The Careers Service (Student Services, King's Gate) provides the support you need to gain skills and experience, to make informed decisions about careers and to find jobs or further research opportunities. For opening hours and what the Careers Service can offer you, see the section in your student handbook or visit their website.

Student Wellbeing

For a variety of information relating to student welfare such as information on medical and dental care, accommodation, financial difficulties and financial help for disabled students, special information for international students and complaints procedures. Please see the Student Wellbeing website.