Our handbooks tell you about the School, Faculty and University rules that apply to your work and the facilities available to you. Please read them carefully and keep for future reference.
The handbooks set out important information about the nature of your subject area and your degree programme, about what we expect from you and what you may expect from us.
Careful reading now will save you much trouble later. If you cannot find the information you require, please contact either your Personal Tutor or the School Office.
Below are links to electronic copies of your degree programme handbooks
- BA Honours History (V100) Handbook 2017/2018 (PDF: 683KB)
- BA Honours Politics and History (VL12) Handbook 2017/2018 (PDF: 1,289KB)
- BA Honours History and Archaeology (VV41) Handbook 2017/18 (PDF 1,464 KB)
- BA Honours Archaeology (V400) Handbook 2017/18 (PDF: 1,321KB)
- BA Honours History and Archaeology (VV41) Handbook 2017/18 (PDF: 1,464KB)
- BA Honours Ancient History and Archaeology (VV14) Handbook 2017/18 (PDF: 1,394KB)
- BA Honours Classics and Ancient History (Q800, Q810, QQ83 and V110) Handbooks 2017/18 (PDF: 905KB) - includes BA Honours Classics (Q800), BA Honours Classical Studies (Q810), BA Honours Classical Studies and English (QQ83) and BA Honours Ancient History (V110)
- MA Classics and Ancient History Degree Programme Handbook 2017-2018 (PDF: 1,426KB)
- MAs in Archaeology Degree Programmes Handbook 2017-2018 (PDF: 936KB)
- MAs in History Degree Programme Handbook 2017-2018 (PDF: 336KB)
- Master of Letters (MLitt) History, Classics & Ancient History, Archaeology Degree Programme Handbook 2017-2018 (PDF: 1,033KB)
- MPhil and PhD History Classics and Ancient History Archaeology Degree Programme Handbook 2017-2018 (PDF: 881KB)
Suggested reading lists
If you would like to undertake preparatory reading you can view the suggested reading list for your degree programme below:
- BA Hons History (V100) reading list (PDF: 190KB)
- BA Hons Politics and History (VL12) (PDF: 499KB)
- BA Hons Classics (Q800), BA Hons Classical Studies (Q810), BA Hons Classical Studies and English (QQ83), BA Hons Ancient History (V110) (PDF: 303KB)
The handbooks contain a more comprehensive reading list specific to each lecture.
Find information about undergraduate and postgraduate submission deadlines, style guides for writing essays and instructions on how to use our plagiarism software.
You will, for the majority of your assessed work (see subject specific section of your degree programme handbook and/or individual module handbooks for important exceptions), be required to submit an electronic copy of your work to the plagiarism software known as Turnitin.
Once you have submitted your work to Turnitin, you will then need to submit a hard copy to the dropbox which is located on the first floor (Lobby area) of the Armstrong Building.
For details of how to submit to Turnitin through Blackboard see our Turnitin submissions instructions. (PDF: 378KB)
For details of History, Classics and Archaeology assignment submission deadlines see below:
History assignment submission deadlines (PDF: 84KB)
Classics assignment submission deadlines (PDF: 158KB)
Archaeology assignment submission deadlines (PDF: 231KB)
This information is also available through Blackboard or from the notice board outside the first floor teaching rooms in the Armstrong Building.
Instructions on how to submit your work is detailed in your degree programme handbook.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate students might also want to refer to the following documents to enhance their study and essay-writing skills:
History Style Guide 2017-18 (PDF: 20KB)
Using Secondary Literature and Other Sources (PDF: 107KB)
A Guide to Essay Writing (PDF: 62KB)