National Innovation Centres
£50m home to bring together business, academics and the public together
In November 2017, planning permission was granted for the development of the National Innovation Centre building. The building will allow us to link university academic talent with industry and the public sector to help develop skills needed to solve real world problems.
The third Newcastle University building to be located on the Newcastle Helix site, the centre will be home to:
- National Innovation Centre for Ageing (NICA)
- works with research specialists, businesses and the public to facilitate the commercialisation of key products, services and technologies to help people live better, longer lives.
- National Innovation Centre for Data (NICD)
- work on opportunities offered by the explosion in digital data.
- National Institute for Health Research Innovation Observatory (NIHRIO)
- apply Big Data analytical tools to reveal global trends in health innovation
The UK Government's Industrial Strategy sets Grand Challenges to put the United Kingdom at the forefront of the industries of the future. Two of the challenges are AI & Digitial Economy and Ageing Society. We are excited about our role leading the National Innovation Centres that will help meet these challenges.
Our mission is to be a global leader in ageing research and innovation.
We have particular strengths in Cloud Computing & Data Analytics.
Welcome to the NIHR Innovation Observatory, providing the latest news on emerging technologies in healthcare.