Dr Aisling Flinn
Clinical Research Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Academic Haematology,
Ground Floor William Leech Building,
Institute of Cellular Medicine
Newcastle upon Tyne
Allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) is used to treat a variety of malignant and non-malignant disorders. The aim following HSCT to is to rebuild a complete and long-lasting immune system, with a diverse T-cell receptor repertoire. Reconstitution of the T-cell compartment is a complex process and requires an intact functioning thymus, which can be adversely affected by insults including acute graft-versus-host disease (aGVHD) and corticosteroids.
My research is focused on children receiving extracorporeal photopheresis (ECP) as second line treatment of aGVHD, investigating if by promoting immune tolerance and resolving aGVHD, and by reducing the burden of immunosuppressive medications such as corticosteroids, damage to the thymus is mitigated, potentially allowing regeneration of the thymic microenvironment and restoration of thymopoiesis, paving the way for robust adaptive immunity, improving the ability to fight infection and reduce the risk of secondary malignancy or relapse. In addition, my research is exploring the underlying immune-modulating mechanisms of action of ECP, including the effects on dendritic cells, regulatory T-cells and cytokines, and investigation into whether ECP improves the health-related quality of life for these vulnerable patients.
Google Scholar: Click here.
- Flinn AM, Roberts CF, Slatter MA, Skinner R, Robson H, Lawrence J, Guest J, Gennery AR. Thymopoiesis following HSCT; a retrospective review comparing interventions for aGVHD in a pediatric cohort. Clinical Immunology 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Flinn AM, Gennery AR. Treatment of pediatric acute graft-versus-host disease-lessons from primary immunodeficiency?. Frontiers in Immunology 2017, 8, 328.
- Flinn A, Slatter M, Skinner R, Robson H, Cooper J, Guest J, Gennery A. A Retrospective Review of a Cohort of Paediatric Patients Treated with ECP for the Management of GVHD. In: 42nd Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2016, Valencia, Spain: Nature Publishing Group.
- Flinn AM, Cant A, Leahy TR, Butler KM, Gennery AR. Autosomal Dominant Hyper IgE Syndrome - Treatment Strategies and Clinical Outcomes. Journal of Clinical Immunology 2016, 36(2), 107-109.
- Flinn AM, Gennery AR. Extracoporeal photopheresis treatment of acute graft-versus-host disease following allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation [version 1; referees: 2 approved]. F1000Research 2016, 5.
- Flinn AM, Gennery AR. Adenosine deaminase deficiency: A review. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases 2018, 13(1), 65.